• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Fix for my horn that is stuck "ON"...

edpdx

After I replaced the signal switch a few months back my horn went off. I had to disconnect the NEG on the front battery of my M1009 to get it silenced. I didn't have a new horn relay on hand with the diode, and I couldn't leave the wheel off while I found one, so I went without a horn. A few days later I got one with the diode- I put it in, but as soon as I touched the NEG cable to the front battery: H - O - N - KKKKK!

Reading this forum, I snipped off the Diode, thinking that would be the fix: H - O - N - KKKKK!
Reading this forum, I removed the condenser from the Horn connector: H - O - N - KKKKK!

So I dug back into the steering wheel/column, as this all started by digging into it the last time. The cancelling cam looked dirty, and a little greasy so I ordered another up for same day delivery. The next day I put it in: H - O - N - KKKKK!

I got the notion that the copper spring was maybe too short, so I pulled it to lengthen it a bit. Then sanded all leads for best connection and Roberts your father's brother, it works.

I'd try this spring pulling trick before snipping and replacing parts.

1720461037643.jpeg1720460303788.jpeg 1720460243278.jpeg

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
After I replaced the signal switch a few months back my horn went off. I had to disconnect the NEG on the front battery of my M1009 to get it silenced. I didn't have a new horn relay on hand with the diode, and I couldn't leave the wheel off while I found one, so I went without a horn. A few days later I got one with the diode- I put it in, but as soon as I touched the NEG cable to the front battery: H - O - N - KKKKK!

Reading this forum, I snipped off the Diode, thinking that would be the fix: H - O - N - KKKKK!
Reading this forum, I removed the condenser from the Horn connector: H - O - N - KKKKK!

So I dug back into the steering wheel/column, as this all started by digging into it the last time. The cancelling cam looked dirty, and a little greasy so I ordered another up for same day delivery. The next day I put it in: H - O - N - KKKKK!

I got the notion that the copper spring was maybe too short, so I pulled it to lengthen it a bit. Then sanded all leads for best connection and Roberts your father's brother, it works.

I'd try this spring pulling trick before snipping and replacing parts.

View attachment 927424View attachment 927423 View attachment 927422
Possibility that the wire that runs up to the horn button has "rubbed itself raw".

WWRD99

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think if you take the relay out with a diode that's fried the horn still goes off. You don't need to unhook the battery just turn off the blackout light switch. What relay did you put in that was a 3 prong type that had a diode in it? What does the spring being to short have to do with the horn turning on all the time? Sounds like the horn button spring was to tight or not aligned properly and constantly grounded the relay.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

edpdx

I think if you take the relay out with a diode that's fried the horn still goes off. You don't need to unhook the battery just turn off the blackout light switch. What relay did you put in that was a 3 prong type that had a diode in it? What does the spring being to short have to do with the horn turning on all the time? Sounds like the horn button spring was to tight or not aligned properly and constantly grounded the relay.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk
I’m not sure where you’re going with these two questions. I followed the advice from this forum that said snip off the relays diode, plug in the relay and be done with it… I did but the horn kept sounding. I followed the advice that said remove the condenser at the horn… that didn’t work. I replaced the horn relay with a new one; no good.
I pulled the steering wheel and replaced the cam cancelling ring (the green deal in the photos above)1 didn’t help AFAIK. I took a shot at lengthening the spring to make better/stronger contact. It worked. I don’t know how exactly.1720638542795.jpeg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks