• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Fixing Bent Lock Ring

Austringer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a lock ring that is slightly out of shape when the tire place removed it, basically, it was bent outward and we can't seem to get it back in place. What is the best way, if there is one, to fix it?

Jason

deuceman51

Honestly, your life is worth way more! If it is so deformed that you cannot get it to lock back into place, scrap the rim and get a different one. They are very plentiful. I even have a brand new one that I would sell if you want it. It just isn't worth your life trying to get it to go back especially with the pressures exerted against it and the ease that they can explode off.

icecreamman

I concur, replacement.

I remember about thirty five years ago, an old tire guy changed out on an old log truck split rim and died. He actually sat on the tire while it was inflating. It broke his neck and other things and basically killed him instantly.

If you do it yourself and don't have a proper cage, totally wrap the tire/rim assembly with at least a 3/8" chain and attach a locking air chuck with a guage and valve 20?ft away.

Fill tire 10% over pressure and release to proper pressure.

This is fifties technology made to be done in the field.

rustystud

You may also want to find another tire shop, if they damaged it due to lack of experience.
It is getting harder and harder to find a shop that will even touch a split rim today. I used to do all mine, but age has taken it's toll on me and now I take them in to get changed. The last batch cost $180.00 for 6 wheels but at least the guy knew what he was doing.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sometimes if they get a little spiralled you can bend them back. But if the two ends of the ring are no longer in line, or spread out more that quarter inch or so, scrap it.