• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Fixing Multi-Fuel "Bugs"

mikew

So I picked up a used engine for an old GSA Deuce with a tired motor that I'm bringing back to life.

One of the Steel Soldiers members was kind enough to find one and deliver it to me.

The motor was delivered strapped down on a trailer, sitting on some old tires. On the last turn into my placed the motor slipped and rolled onto it's side... no damage done other than the Exxon Valdez sized oil spill!

Before installing the engine I thought I'd do some minor checks.

So I started by putting a breaker bar on the crankshaft bolt and make sure it turns. It turned great, and almost a full 360 degrees.... but not quite! It came to a firm stop, something was inside a cylinder.

After stripping some parts and shoving a borescope down the injector holes the problem became obvious.

BUGS

And I do mean bugs!

Even though the intake had been sealed up for storage, somehow mud dauber wasps had built a pretty impressive colony inside the intake. When the motor rolled over on the trailer a hunk of wasp nest fell through the open intake valve of the #3 cylinder. And when I turned the motor over with the breaker bar I squished the mud/clay into a blob of incompressible material, thus stopping full rotation.

I tried in vein to blow out the debris by shoving a tube, hooked up to the shop air, down the injector hole and through the open intake valve.

So I finally broke down and pulled the head.

Attached are pictures of the foreign invaders in my engine. It may not look like much material, but the piston get so close to the head at the top of it's stroke that it doesn't take much to stop it.

The upside to this adventure is that the wasp nest was deep enough inside the intake that I would have never seen it, and who knows what damage would have happened if I had started the engine!

Attachments

Last edited:

flyxpl

I had a boat stored in a hanger . Went to run it following spring . It was locked up . A mouse had crawled in exhaust , the piston was in a position where the exhaust port was not covered by the piston . He built a very nice nest right inside the cylinder .

jimm1009

You insenative bug killer you!

Seriously, really good find. I would have in my younger and moucho dumber days fired it up anyway and that would have been bad news.
Great find. I wonder how long those nests have been in there.
If you have a green tag hanging on the engine that may give you a clue.
Not a bad thing to change the head gaskets and valve cover gaskets. You can also get a feel for the wear in the cylinders and possibly take a measurement too. Good to have for future tear downs if you ever do.
Thanks for sharing.
Hope it runs well for you once installed.
jimm1009

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had a boat stored in a hanger . Went to run it following spring . It was locked up . A mouse had crawled in exhaust , the piston was in a position where the exhaust port was not covered by the piston . He built a very nice nest right inside the cylinder .
The pressure of living in a cylinder will most certainly kill you eventually.

abh3

This time of year dirt-daubers will stop up passages on a torn down carb, hydraulic valve body, transmission case or about anything else before you know it. I thought it was just a Deep South thing!

I seal up engines, etc with aluminum tape before storing (on some old tires of course), it seems to keep them out...

mikew

You insenative bug killer you!

If you have a green tag hanging on the engine that may give you a clue.
Not a bad thing to change the head gaskets and valve cover gaskets. You can also get a feel for the wear in the cylinders jimm1009
Cleaned the carbon off the top edged of the liners and there is no ridge at all, I'd say it's a pretty low hour engine.

I suspect the nests were from a single season and happend before the engine was sealed up, the intake was taped shut when I recieved it.

Tell me more about the "Green Tag" you speak of. I don't have one, what are they for?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks