• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Fl Title & Tag Trouble

cavetech

Two weeks ago I bought a Steward & Stevenson M1078. The seller signed his valid title over to me.

Here is a very short version of the story.

I went to Lake City DMV to get my new title & tag. After two hours they said they could not issue them to me because I had a former military vehicle and it could only be handled by a regional DMV office. They would be Jacksonville, Ocala or Tallahassee for me.

Later I figured I could get around that nonsense at a smaller office. So went to Live Oak DMV. After 1 1/2 hours they refused to issue me the documents. In fact they couldn't because certain computer fields stopped them and said contact Tallahassee. They telephoned alot and finally I spoke to Angela in Tallahassee who was the only person who could come and inspect my M1078 to determine that it was in the original military configuration and paint. Then she would go back to Tallahassee and issue the title & tag. I asked for the appointment she said I need for the inspection and she wouldn't give me one. She was too busy and didn't know what to do (her exact words). She did promise to call me the next day. Of course she blew me off and didn't return my phone calls either. So I got mad.

I then wrote an e-mail to the director of DMV telling my story. The last paragraph said I was taking this refusal to issue me a title & tag to Governor Scott. I put his address in the cc: of the e-mail and sent it.

Next I got madder and called Governor Scott's office where I spoke to Carol. She listened to my story and eventually asked if I would hold while she transferred me to their contact in DMV. I saId sure, figuring I was being blown off again. I told my story to a woman named Tocrice (spelling is wrong) in DMV and gave Angela's name to her. She said she would call me back. Right.

Twenty minutes later Tocrice called back much to my surprise. Then Angela called on the other line. Angela was real sweet this time. She said I should go to Live Oak DMV and get my title & tag. I switched back to Tocrice and thanked her for her help. Man she must have some authority in DMV.

So tomorrow I pick up the title & tag that was previously impossible to get.

Here are the names and phone numbers to call when you have trouble getting your title & tag in Florida with a former military vehicle.

Very helpful people in the DMV system:
Carol (a powerful woman) in Highway Safety - DMV 850-617-3100
Tocrice (a powerful woman) in DMV 850-617-3195
Angela (must be forced to do her job) 850-617-2999 then #2

Governor Rick Scott's office 850-488-7146
Governor Rick Scott's e-mail rick.scott@eog.myflorida.com
If you want to schedule a phone call with the governor do it here scheduling.requests@eog.myflorida.com

The Director of DMV is Terry Rhodes e-mail executivedirector@flhsmv.gov

The motor vehicle statute that governs former military vehicles can be found here
Online Sunshine (you'll have to get the exact address) the statute number is 320.086.

The statute sums up like this. You can drive your former military vehicle to and from a parade, to the gas station and back. They didn't know if you can drive it ti a mechanic for repairs.

You cannot drive it on the roads for any other reason. Not even to lunch and back.

I expect to be issued a BRANDED title & tag.

Summary:
Can't get title & tag start making calls. Be reasonable, don't give up.

Don't drive your military vehicle any place other than a parade.

WE NEED TO GET TOGETHER AND HAVE THE STATUTE CHANGED GOVERNING MILITARY VEHICLES!

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
Can't you just reg it as a pickup truck? There are some really big civilian pickups out there that people reg for personal use. I don't see the difference.

TNriverjet

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In a FMV (former military vehicle) you are always being viewed as if it's a parade... and always on your way to or from a fuel station. My fuel gauge is stuck on 1/4 tank... works for me! Of course here in TN I was able to register with a weighted commercial tag as a farm truck.

infidel got me

I have tagged two 5 tons and have several friends that own mv. None of us have ever been told to and from parade/gas station. We drive them anywhere we want. I have even been complemented by several different police departments. Went to tag office and tagged it just like a ford truck.

cavetech

Can't you just reg it as a pickup truck? There are some really big civilian pickups out there that people reg for personal use. I don't see the difference.[/QUOTE

To get your title you have to present the vehicle so DMV can verify the VIN number. That is when they spot it as a former military vehicle. It CANNOT be registered as anything but a mil vehicle.

cavetech

The purpose of the new Military Vehicle tag is so cops can spot the vehicle as such and cite you.

But, I kind of think it is unlikely you would get a ticket if you are reasonable with the cop.

If you own a FMV with annual renewable tag you are expected to go to DMV and tell them so your title & tag can be changed so I was told. I have one and I'm not going to tell them.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
So if I have say a cucv that's identical to the guy next doors Chevy pickup his can be reg normal but mine has to be military? Seems a bit unreasonable.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Time to move to Texas. FL used to be a decent place to live but then again that was back in the '70s when only half of NY and MI had moved there. Guess the other half must have shown up.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
I hate living in CT. Everyone's miserable here and they are all Democrats. But 20 years is antique reg with no restrictions on use they could care less where the vehicle came from. I can make a bill of sale from me to me and with a basic vin verification reg a mil truck.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Lots of dung in this thread. Firstly, you can register any of the FMVs in FL with a regular tag. Its a class 41 tag and you claim the weight and pay the appropriate fees. If you chose to register it as a former military vehicle, the state can request verification. FSS 320.086 is quite clear and we can thank the First Fl chapter of the MVPA for walking that law through. The coding in the system has to be over-riden as there is no coding for former FMVs (at least it was that way last yr). That's why FMV registrations are processed through Tallahassee. I think form 83045 is the one used to order tags. Some of this may have changed since I left but this is where it was. I never had any issues sending a check to Tallahassee and getting a tag a short time later. I've also had no problem getting a class 41 tag at any tag office during the time of my visit.

Link to FSS 320.086
http://www.leg.state.fl.us/statutes...ng=&URL=0300-0399/0320/Sections/0320.086.html

infidel got me

I have a antique tag on my 1990 923. It is registered as a former mv. My one buddy has a regular tag on his and uses it every day in his tile business. Never been pulled over or harassed. Guess I'll see you at the next parade or gas station.

Last edited:

cavetech

So if I have say a cucv that's identical to the guy next doors Chevy pickup his can be reg normal but mine has to be military? Seems a bit unreasonable.
That's right. I asked that exact question of DMV. The statute reads any former military vehicle has to be titled and registered as such. Even a Chevy pick up or blazer or jeep.

Not to mention that it has to have the correct paint and markings. If it doesn't have it they won't title or tag it. Pretty stupid in my opinion. This has been a surprise to me. The statute is so new that even most DMV employees don't understand it.

cavetech

I have a antique tag on my 1990 923. It is registered as a former mv. My one buddy has a regular tag on his and uses it every day in his tile business. Never been pulled over or harassed. Guess I'll see you at the next parade or gas station.
I fully intend to drive my vehicles any place I want, any time I want. Florida is a great state if you are a gun owner, but not great for FMR's.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That's right. I asked that exact question of DMV. The statute reads any former military vehicle has to be titled and registered as such. Even a Chevy pick up or blazer or jeep.

Not to mention that it has to have the correct paint and markings. If it doesn't have it they won't title or tag it. .
I posted a link to 320.086. Nowhere does it state what you are saying. Show me in Florida Statutes where it says that and I'll donate $100 to your favorite charity. The statute reads nothing of the such.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
(3) The owner of an ancient or antique firefighting apparatus, former military vehicle, or other historical motor vehicle 30 years old or older which is used only in exhibitions, parades, or public display may, upon application in the manner and at the time prescribed by the department and upon payment of the license tax prescribed by s. 320.08(2)(a), be issued a license plate as prescribed in subsection (1) or subsection (2). License plates issued under this subsection shall be permanent and valid for use without renewal as long as the vehicle is in existence and its use is consistent with this subsection

infidel got me

If you really want a kick in the pants-- my tag looks like the day they handed it to me.... Why? Never put it on. It is slid in my headliner. Drive all over and never been stopped. I have no military markings on my bumpers.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
This thread is so full of misinformation.
Welcome to the internet...

We used to try to keep this site 100% correct, but that upset people when they were told they were wrong.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks