• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Flag Holder Drawings-M35A2

saddamsnightmare

:) August 21st, 2008.

Gentlemen:

I am seeking working drawings or sketches for the demountable flag holders used on the left front bumper of the M35A2 to mount the convoy flags...(Or if someone has one they want to sell????)? I am also seeking information on the diameter and length of the wooden flagstaff, and placement of the screw eye or other attachment used to attach the respective flags.
Further if anyone has drawings of the convoy light (rotating beacon) mast , hardware and wiring diagram, or has a kit for one less the light, I'm all ears (so to speak).
Thanks again,

Sincerely,

Kyle F. McGrogan

1971 Kaiser jeep M35A2 Wo/W "Saddam's Nightmare" desert Storm and Vietnam Veteran Deuce
1968 Johnson Corp M105A2 Cargo Trailer
1967 HErcules MEP023A Gas Gen-Set APU
1963 Swiss Army cargo Unimog :D

8)
N.B. The Convoy Flags I am referring to are the Blue (Convoy lead truck), Black and white diagional bisected "Convoy Commander", and Green "Last Truck" flags as used by the US Army to designate complete convoys. I am pretty certain that there had to be a kit to support the use of the flags.... I am fairly certain of the other flag honors as outlined in the "Army Officer's Guidebook"...

Thanks Again, Sincerely,

Kyle F. Mcgrogan

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was thinking about just welding tubing on the back of the front bumper running vertically and close the bottom end of it.

Maybe drill a hole for a set screw and put a flag in it. The only thing I know for sure is that the US flag only goes on the front right.

At least I hope I know that.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yeah, I meant use a washer or something on the bottom just welded in place to keep the flag in place and let the moisture out.

:)

Crazyguypa

I actually am having some welded up tomorrow at work. I wanted them for parades, but need em for next week to dress the old "RV" up :D

They have set screws for the bumper and the flag holders, I'll get a pic of them and post em up on Monday when I go back into work. I'll post em up sooner if I go in for some OT.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here's what I did. 1/2 inch EMT, two EMT beam clamps and two EMT clips. Brazed a 1/4 inch washer in the bottom of the tube for draining and brazed a 1/4 nut on the side of the tube to hold the flag staff. Took maybe a half hour..and a beer..or two :wink:

Attachments

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's stout too. I have been bushwakin' a bunch, and it has held up nicely. I usually come back with creosote bushes wedged between the holder and bumper.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Outstanding. Except for using the electrical hardware that's exactly what I had in mind for build a pair.

thanks for the pics.

steve

saddamsnightmare

August 22nd, 2008. [thumbzup]

Dear Will:

As always, your eminence has come up with just the right idea..... I am still working on the length of the flag-sticks, and the Army seems to have intended a small screw eye, probably on the upper 1" or so, to pass through an eyelet on the flag sleeve and to have a piece of attached (to the flag sleeve) ribbon be passed through and tied to keep the flags on the stick(s). I'm not sure if this idea is either "Pizza" grade or :beer: grade, though I'm pretty sure Mrs. Wagner will probably want you to have the Pizza....... (insert scene from "The Enforcer", where Harry says to his partner "Too much linguini slows you down.....")
The other item I have been trying to work out is the dimensions of the convoy light mast, as I know the unit is designed to telescope down and up to raise or lower the height of the beacon above the cab. These seem to be the hard items to find, as many are still in use in Iraq..... In any case, Mr. Wagner, my hat's off to you for an elegant, functional solution to the problem.....

Sincerely,

Kyle F. McGrogan

Lex_Ordo

I know this is an old thread, but I wanted to add some info. the flag attachment is:
NSN 8345-00-242-3650
It has an alt. # of MC-270, which is the attachment used in the signal flag kit M238, for tanks.

Anyway, here is a pic of the flag staff. I have not been able to find if there was or is a military attachment to secure the staff to the vehicle. It might just be a homade mod such as a bove that would be done on a unit level.

Attachments

boomer

Here's what I did. 1/2 inch EMT, two EMT beam clamps and two EMT clips. Brazed a 1/4 inch washer in the bottom of the tube for draining and brazed a 1/4 nut on the side of the tube to hold the flag staff. Took maybe a half hour..and a beer..or two :wink:
Looks good. Are you sure it was just a beer or two?:wink:

saddamsnightmare

October 18th, 2009.

SEE WIll Wagners design..... Simple, Almost indestructible, I made one for the M35A2 and one for the Swiss S404.114. I can tell you Will has the MOJO with his design, simple, neat, strong and easy to make.... NOW we gotta get him to come up with those convoy light masts for behind the cab of the M35A2......

Thanks Again, Will, you are the Man!

Cheers,

Kyle F. McGrogan:razz:

Lex_Ordo

Good news! There is a mount, and I was able to secure one.
It is a NATO mount and this one is from Canada (part of the Iltis 4x4 Utility Truck catalog).
It fits the USGI Convoy/ Armor Signal Flag Attachment MC-270. Same as all the other NATO countries.

The NSN is 2590-12-176-1082 & 1083.
82 is for the right side, 83 is for the left.

Nomenclature is as follows:

2590-12-176-1082 / 1083
Holder, Flag
P/N 9185-02 / P/N 9185-03
QTY 1 Ea
S/N W8466-9-DC06/05TY
Advanced Military Logistics
90/07/30

The second holder's last 4 of the NSN is 1083 and the P/N is 9185-03
Pics to folow.

Last edited: