• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Flaky frequency meter?

epitts

I started my 2A and the meter worked fine. I turned it off for awhile and restarted again and the meter did not work. I flashed the field several time and no joy. I turned it off and let it sit, then I started it again and the meter did not work. I let it run while cleaning up, came back to turn it off and the meter was working. Any ideas on what is causing the issue?

Thanks for your help

Isaac-1

Most likely the frequency transducer, although it could also be in the meter itself, these things get a lot of vibration, and vibration breaks stuff (connections, solder joints, etc.)

Ike

leedawg

yeah my 003a has the same problem. Works sometimes then others it does not. Really not to big an issue I just leave the throttle set at 60 hz and it comes right up to that once it warms up. Alot of guys just buy one of those kill a watt meters and plug it into the service outlet and can check everything from right there then. Shows you voltage and hz. I think there is a company called osh equipment that I have see they sell a self contained meter that you can replace the stock freq meter with that does not require a transducer. Otherwise to replace the transducer means you need to replace the meter as well. Most say on here that the transducer and meter are matched pairs. Where to find these id probably call William Delk at Delks surplus in NC.

Good luck.

Lee

JimH

The frequency meter/transducer combinations are notoriously unreliable in this application. It appears the vibration and environment lead to an abnormally short time between failures.
The best way is to have another separate meter that you can plug in the convenience outlet and adjust engine RPM that way. They are not terribly expensive.

epitts

Thanks to all

I have read several threads about the meter and hardware. I have ordered a kill-o-watt meter from Amazon. When the meter was working I set the output to 60hz and left the throttle alone. With less than 10 hours since factory reset I thought it would somthing easy. Just glad I got it running and it puts out power.

steelandcanvas

The connections on my frequency meter and transducer were tight, but upon closer examination, I had alot of corrosion inside the meter itself. It only worked part time, until it completely stopped working. Seems as though there are no vent holes to assist in evaporating the condensation. You might want to take a closer look at yours, by looking at an angle through the lens focusing on the inside of the meter case. Just a thought.

derf

I like these from Hardy. They aren't listed on their website but they sell them on ebay. Search "Voltage and Frequency Meter". Not bad for $20.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks