• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Flat Bed Trailer ID

rumplecat

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Saw this trailer just at dark tonight, it's in a cleared off lot going up for sale, so it my be lined up for scraping, I know zip about bigger trailers but it looks like one of the aircraft recovery trailers? Any ideas?

Attachments

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks like an M270 aircraft recovery trailer. Confirmed by looking at the data plate.

Last edited:

rumplecat

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I didn't have a flash light, I will have a better look tomorrow, it looks like it a good 35-40 feet long! Anyone have any idea of a reasonable price, he also has some type of converter dolly in a fenced in area, I will get a couple of photos tomorrow, with the dolly my 813 should be able to pull it home?

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It would be great to save it for those lucky few that have an M819 wrecker/tractor to tow it. If he plans to scrap, go from scrap value and work your way up. I'd say $1500 as a good starting point. I believe the 813 and a dolly can get it home safely, provided you don't go too fast and take the turns wide.

jdgreen

Banned
1500-2000.

Think it weights around 17k. So it would bring about 2k in scrap for price comparison. If it ain't all rusted. Def be a good save if possible.

Last edited:

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
For sure is a 1950's M270 (air brakes). I had a M269 (short version) and did not like it, deck is way to high to be useful as a equipment hauler. You could haul about a zillion round bales with it though.

rumplecat

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It would look slick behind my 818, and a great trailer for loading with the 543, it has pockets and D rings!

Last edited:

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It may have been utilized as a transport trailer for containers or mobile homes in it's life. Looks life you will have to remove that weird box looking thing on the gooseneck, as well as the rear "ramp" on the back of the trailer, plus mount some proper military wheels and tires. Deck could use some repair, and of course, paint. rumplecat, be great to see this saved, bud...

rumplecat

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The box on the neck of the trailer looks original? Does it use 11x20 tires and wheels? The guy who owns it is very hard to negotiate with, he will come down but only over time and time is what I don't have, I want to move my 813 home over Christmas so time will be short on this project. He also has a really slick M211 tractor, but that's for another time.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yup uses 11.00-20 tires same as a 5 ton. The box with doors on the gooseneck is original, the goofy attachment to the rear is not. There are supposed to be heavy angle irons across the rear to clip on ramps.

fasttruck

Used M 270 in service to haul 2ea command post apcs (578 ?) at the same time with M 818 or m 915A1 tractor. Will couple to either one direct without a dolly. 24V lights only and air over hydraulic brakes. Floor is 40' long so with the goose neck it is like pulling a 48' civilian trailer.

rumplecat

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I drove over to have a look at it in daylight, pretty rough but I am still going to see what he wants for it? He had a couple of other things as well?

Attachments

rumplecat

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think some of this post is missing, anyway I have a couple of more photos of the salvage yard including some more of the field piece which belongs to the VFW, he is just storing it.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks