• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Flat Black Deuce?

kennys@wi.rr.com

So I am on vacation again this week and when that happens my time is used for the wildest things. **** last time I was off I found this site and GL and my wife is still mad at me for taking that week off. So here is my question, has anyone ever painted a deuce flat black or know of where I might find pictures of one? Spent/wasted most of my day searching for one so I figured I'd give up and go the easy route and just ask.

Thank you all.

Kenny714

There was one a few towns away parked in a lot a few months ago. It was up on super singles and had very dark tinted windows. It looked very very mean. wish I would have snapped a picture, but it was gone the next time I drove by.

kennys@wi.rr.com

Well I am not one for the "Rat Rod" look so I wouldn't cut the windshield down, well ok if I had a small chainlink steering wheel and a bobbing head dog in the back, NOOO.

And yes drgreg I am going to McCoy on Thursday. This is only a coincidence that my mother-in-law gets here tomorrow, it's not the reason why I chose Thursday. Honest. And my time off is paid for at least.

englishmauser

So I am on vacation again this week and when that happens my time is used for the wildest things. **** last time I was off I found this site and GL and my wife is still mad at me for taking that week off. So here is my question, has anyone ever painted a deuce flat black or know of where I might find pictures of one? Spent/wasted most of my day searching for one so I figured I'd give up and go the easy route and just ask.

Thank you all.
They painted gun trucks black, I think they used gloss though.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Another pic of YANKEEDEUCE's black truck.

I second the thought that painting a truck flat black is not easy. The darker the flat color, the more you see the imperfections in the paint job.

Attachments

KRaiskio

Funny to mention it. I just bought a few gals of paint and flattener to paint my duece. Going w the flat black. I think it will look good, but I like the "rat rod" look. Hope to start in on it next week once I get some other jobs out of my shop.

emr

I think the flatter the less one see's imperfections, gloss is the hard one to do, and there is a story of a couple of gloss black deuces and m151's in texes unit in the early seventys, late sixtys, they were done to parade em out on the flight line when a dignatery came in , this is info i got from a gentlemen from that unit who was at Aberdeen 7 years ago, and he was wishing he had photos, so there must be some some where,,, the base commander has that authority. I belive him, no reason not to he was knowledgeable and new alot of detail...

wsucougarx

FT Lewis has a few M813's painted flat black and black CUCV's. I was going to take a couple pics but then realised it's against regs. Anyone know what the Army would be doing with these older black trucks? They were on the other side of the fence amongst the HEMTT's and FMTV's.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think the flatter the less one see's imperfections, gloss is the hard one to do
I agree to disagree:

Gloss black more easily shows the imperfections in the surface the paint is on.

Flat black more easily shows the imperfections in the paint job itself.

Try painting anything with spray cans of flat black. When the whole paint job is done, you're gonna see every pass you made, every time you have to change cans, every time you put it on too thick in one place, and too thin in another. Ask me how I know. :(

wsucougarx

Hi Scott, they are on base. In fact they are just down about a mile down the road towards the Madigan side. You have to pass by this place. It is completely surrounded by a fence. They have a few artillery pieces, tires, engine crates etc. It's on the back side where the dismantling yard is

mikeroot2

I thought about painting my deuce flat black. Did my pick-up and it turned out really good. Sanded the **** out of it, then sanded some more. Did it with spray cans. It's tough to do, but if you take your time it will trun out good. Don't cheap out on the paint either get good cans with triggers and if it gives any sign of screwing up trash it or return it. Or use a gun, but make sure your air is dry. I start spraying off the body panel and do one continues pass to nthe other end. For example if you're painting the box side start between the cab and box and spray continues to the just beyond end of the box side. I actually used spray on bedliner from the moulding down. Flat black will show dust and dirt bad sometimes even after several washes the same dirty hand print can be seen.

Attachments

CSX90

Welt, I painted my deuce flat matte black. Here are some pics, it was very very easy to do... Im kinda embarrassed to say how I did it, I think you know how... :lol:

Attachments

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks