• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Flat glass windshield installation

Captaincarrier

Here in North Carolina there have been Binswanger Glass companies in Charlotte for many years. I bought insulated glass panels for my house in the 80's. Kinda became my default glass company - just because they always seemed to have or be willing to do what I needed done. About a year ago, I had two vehicle break-ins just acouple of months apart. A Suzuki lost the back glass. They brought the glass, vacuumed up the mess and reinstalled. An old Ford van (sorry, don't know what year) needed a drivers side door glass. They couldn't find it. Ford didn't sell it. Went to the local "pull your own part" place and removed a piece of glass. Called Binswanger again and asked if they could install my glass. No problem said the lady on the phone. She sent a guy who cleaned up the window that I supplied and installed it after vacuuming the old glass out of the bottom of the door. I remember that one cost me $80 and I was happy!

Might be worth seeing if they are in Texas...

Check around for custom rod shops. This can not be as difficult as it seems.

ramdough

Here in North Carolina there have been Binswanger Glass companies in Charlotte for many years. I bought insulated glass panels for my house in the 80's. Kinda became my default glass company - just because they always seemed to have or be willing to do what I needed done. About a year ago, I had two vehicle break-ins just acouple of months apart. A Suzuki lost the back glass. They brought the glass, vacuumed up the mess and reinstalled. An old Ford van (sorry, don't know what year) needed a drivers side door glass. They couldn't find it. Ford didn't sell it. Went to the local "pull your own part" place and removed a piece of glass. Called Binswanger again and asked if they could install my glass. No problem said the lady on the phone. She sent a guy who cleaned up the window that I supplied and installed it after vacuuming the old glass out of the bottom of the door. I remember that one cost me $80 and I was happy!

Might be worth seeing if they are in Texas...
I went to Binswanger first. They said they would make me whatever glass I wanted but would not install it.

I tried several shops and asked each person when they said no…. “Who should I call?”….

They all gave me a name of another shop that said no.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk in

Bill Nutting

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yeah…. I am not done trying. That was just the 6-7 shops I had time to call.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Do you have a Henderson Auto Glass shop in your area (Not sure if they are a national franchise) That is who made and mounted the windshield for our M151. They did a good job and as I remember it, it wasn’t very expensive.
BTW, what are you building? You have my curiosity up…

ramdough

Do you have a Henderson Auto Glass shop in your area (Not sure if they are a national franchise) That is who made and mounted the windshield for our M151. They did a good job and as I remember it, it wasn’t very expensive.
BTW, what are you building? You have my curiosity up…
I will check. I just cut my window opening. I am leaning towards gluing a flat plate laminated glass on myself. I think it will turn out ok.

Anyone know if if window glass adhesive will stick to Behr Marquee paint?

For curious minds…. Just have to wait until I post pictures when done.

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This may not weigh into your glass mounting idea but something to think about ! If you flat mount this glass without being in a gasket and use windshield urethane that if your build ends up being really air tight. Every time you slam the door the interior air pressure would push against the glass and that probably wouldnt be that much but in bus world with slide outs we would have to open a vent window to slide in or out or you would wind up blowing out the a side window or exterior body panel because they were surface mounted windows and panels on prevost H models . The pressure would be too great for the urethane to hold that much force .

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
This may not weigh into your glass mounting idea but something to think about ! If you flat mount this glass without being in a gasket and use windshield urethane that if your build ends up being really air tight. Every time you slam the door the interior air pressure would push against the glass and that probably wouldnt be that much but in bus world with slide outs we would have to open a vent window to slide in or out or you would wind up blowing out the a side window or exterior body panel because they were surface mounted windows and panels on prevost H models . The pressure would be too great for the urethane to hold that much force .
That sounds like it could get expensive really quick! Air tight vehicle, squeeze 25% of your air volume - and something has to "give" for sure.

Guessing that somewhere along the way Prevost designers made an automatic vent open feature maybe in the second generation?

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That sounds like it could get expensive really quick! Air tight vehicle, squeeze 25% of your air volume - and something has to "give" for sure.

Guessing that somewhere along the way Prevost designers made an automatic vent open feature maybe in the second generation?
NOPE not as of 18 they hadnt they made 3 different chassis for the entertainer market a H345 model all paint no shiny bottomsides and alot taller and XL 2 (SHINY BOTTOM) but 1 of the XLs was called a motorhome chassis still 45ft long but shorter wheelbase and you lost an entire bay in the bottom storage but had a gigantic front slide out on the dr, side. You had to be crazy careful when sliding them in or out . They moved so much air either way you were going to mess something up without opening a window or door . You had to school the principle on the bedroom buses in the rear bedroom they're beds were built in the slideout section so either you went back there after you parked and slid them out (usally waking them up ) or you left it up to them to do it them selves when they woke up and on those days make sure they couldnt slide the slide out into something them selves cause you parked too close to something and i would leave my drivers wing window down a little to vent . The rear slides were much smaller in the stateroom . But you hid the ignition key so they couldnt operate the front slides by them selves .

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
NOPE not as of 18 they hadnt they made 3 different chassis for the entertainer market a H345 model all paint no shiny bottomsides and alot taller and XL 2 (SHINY BOTTOM) but 1 of the XLs was called a motorhome chassis still 45ft long but shorter wheelbase and you lost an entire bay in the bottom storage but had a gigantic front slide out on the dr, side. You had to be crazy careful when sliding them in or out . They moved so much air either way you were going to mess something up without opening a window or door . You had to school the principle on the bedroom buses in the rear bedroom they're beds were built in the slideout section so either you went back there after you parked and slid them out (usally waking them up ) or you left it up to them to do it them selves when they woke up and on those days make sure they couldnt slide the slide out into something them selves cause you parked too close to something and i would leave my drivers wing window down a little to vent . The rear slides were much smaller in the stateroom . But you hid the ignition key so they couldnt operate the front slides by them selves .
Having the key is the answer then I guess...
And they get grumpy when their bus isn't fully operational without you.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Grumpy is fine cause the alternative is windy lol
Didn't think about that in that way... It could be "really cool" flying down the highway - in the winter - in the snow - and with the window on the drivers side blown out... And NOT in the good cool way either!

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Didn't think about that in that way... It could be "really cool" flying down the highway - in the winter - in the snow - and with the window on the drivers side blown out... And NOT in the good cool way either!
LOL Ive had to switch buses with other drivers and the first thing i would do is wash it myself with the engine running and the a/c on and if i saw bubbles anywhere coming out of body panels i knew someone had blew it out by not opening the window.

I left toronto one night in a good snow hauling ABB crossed the border at detroit got half way across michigan back in the silver eagle days and blew the passenger windsheild in and it wraped around the jumpseat like a wet blanket had to put my guys on the other band bus and send them on 50 miles later im crusing along about 45 mph with sleet blowing in and the drivers side pushes in and hits the dash and the visor then goes back out the whole and down the side of the bus so now ive got no glass and 50 more miles to chicago and its still sleating and ive got on my leather jacket and its turning daylight at this point and im trying to gp just fast enough to not get run over and the looks on peoples faces was priceless when they would look up at me with towles wraped around my head with sunglasses and sleet all over me ! I sat an gary for a day couldnt find glass no where so i bought 2 4x8 sheets of 1/8 in plexiglass made me 2 windows and drove 450 miles home and all because the mechanics used dawn detergent to put my 2 new windows in just before i left home so dont ever do that when trying to get glass to go in a tight gasket

Last edited:

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
LOL Ive had to switch buses with other drivers and the first thing i would do is wash it myself with the engine running and the a/c on and if i saw bubbles anywhere coming out of body panels i knew someone had blew it out by not opening the window.

I left toronto one night in a good snow hauling ABB crossed the border at detroit got half way across michigan back in the silver eagle days and blew the passenger windsheild in and it wraped around the jumpseat like a wet blanket had to put my guys on the other band bus and send them on 50 miles later im crusing along about 45 mph with sleet blowing in and the drivers side pushes in and hits the dash and the visor then goes back out the whole and down the side of the bus so now ive got no glass and 50 more miles to chicago and its still sleating and ive got on my leather jacket and its turning daylight at this point and im trying to gp just fast enough to not get run over and the looks on peoples faces was priceless when they would look up at me with towles wraped around my head with sunglasses and sleet all over me ! I sat an gary for a day couldnt find glass no where so i bought 2 4x8 sheets of 1/8 in plexiglass made me 2 windows and drove 450 miles home and all because the mechanics used dawn detergent to put my 2 new windows in just before i left home so dont ever do that when trying to get glass to go in a tight gasket
THAT would be a miserable drive for sure!

Slickum on a rubber gasket takes WEEKS to dry up.
Amazing how a piece of 1/8th inch nylon cord will hustle that rubber into place - without any Slickum too.

I can still remember our truck drivers giving the mechanics lots of hot air if they had ANY problems with a recently repaired truck. Guessing the bus fixers should have gotten their fair share for that mess!

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
THAT would be a miserable drive for sure!

Slickum on a rubber gasket takes WEEKS to dry up.
Amazing how a piece of 1/8th inch nylon cord will hustle that rubber into place - without any Slickum too.

I can still remember our truck drivers giving the mechanics lots of hot air if they had ANY problems with a recently repaired truck. Guessing the bus fixers should have gotten their fair share for that mess!
Yea i think i mentioned it to them ! About a minute before the passenger glass came in Dickey s son Duane 12 yrs old was sitting in that jump seat he got up to go to the bathroom !

ramdough

FYSA,

Finally got a quote in today for a turnkey job. $640 and they come to me. ($70 for trip charge, 2 guys since the window is 9’+ in the air)

I need to look at what the material costs, because I think I can do the labor part myself.

Will update once I finalize material cost and take action.

ramdough

Ok,

They quoted me the wrong price. They had an extra large glass panel.

Actual price now is $540.

ramdough

Anyone know if the Behr paint will cause me any issues with bond strength?

I am thinking I need to do a test….

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks