• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Flat towing a deuce chassis

rcassettyjr

This is theoretical question at this point but I need to know what those with more deuce experience think.

Imagine a deuce frame with just the front axle and suspension, the rear axles and suspension, and the original wheels and tires. The motor, cab, bed, transmission, transfer case, and the drive shafts are gone. I poked around here and other places on the net and found that this combination would weigh just under 3000 pounds. The front axle would still have the tie rod but the drag link would be disconnected.

I want to flat tow this chassis with another truck using a tow bar and a set of magnetic lights. The tow vehicle can handle the weight, it weighs twice what the chassis weighs, and it would be a couple hundred mile trip on the highway at 55-60.

Do you think there would be any physical/mechanical problem with this?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'd figure a little over 5000#. You have 1700# in wheels and tires alone. 2300# in axles, about 200# in front springs, that rear suspension assy is nearly 800# itself. Whatever the frame rails and crossmembers weigh. Deuces don't like to steer much on a towbar. If you have a front axle turn the wrong way, plan on a way to correct it by hand. I've done it with a spud bar. You could also shim in more positive caster to help it steer.

rcassettyjr

I'd figure a little over 5000#. You have 1700# in wheels and tires alone. 2300# in axles, about 200# in front springs, that rear suspension assy is nearly 800# itself. Whatever the frame rails and crossmembers weigh. Deuces don't like to steer much on a towbar. If you have a front axle turn the wrong way, plan on a way to correct it by hand. I've done it with a spud bar. You could also shim in more positive caster to help it steer.
I didn't realize the tire/wheel assemblies weighed that much. Can the outer rear tires be removed and run with just the inner without doing anything special?

Thanks

Bob

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Play it safe and trailer it with a properly sized truck and trailer.

Or, hire a rollback.

poppop

As Kenny said they don't like to steer and I would think with less weight it would be harder to keep the wheels going the right way. You could tie the wheels straight and drag it around corners. The towing vehicle is very importent if something goes wrong. I had a right front tire blow suddenly on my towed duece returning from the Ga Rally, The front wheels turned full right at 55 miles per hour. I was able to control it because I was towing with and M813 but I knew it was back there. A lighter truck would have had a real problem keeping everything straight.

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
without the drag link and steering box i doubt it will tow at all. you need the weight of the engine to load the front end and it will steer better, but it will not like turns even slight ones. i have carried what you describe on a standard rollback.

tom

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Not to be a smart azz but......just because you can do something doesn't mean you should.

One question you need to ask is will your insurance cover you towing something like this.

Also what will the local DOT think......they can give you a ticket for an "unsafe load" if they don't like what they see.

If your tow vehicle will handle a rolling chasis that size it should handle a trailer with that chasis on it...and you will have trailer brakes (at least you should have).

This message brought to you by Mr. Murphy's favorite target of opportunity.

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
This thread has a certain air-of-doom to it.

If it were to appear in the DARWIN AWARDS forum it might have been titled:

If I put a fully loaded revolver to my right side of my skull and pull the trigger, will I still have a slight ringing in my left ear next week?

Also know as:

"I don't have the right tool for the job - What are my chances of survival if I try to take such-and-such shortcut?"

Just my 2cents

:driver:

197thhhc

Flat towing is great on a complete deuce with another vehicle as large as or larger. HOWEVER towing a chassis with the steering disconnected would be a very bad idea. When I drove a 5-ton wrecker in the Army i had to pull 2 deuces out of a creek for almost the same situation. More importantly the driver was hurt pretty bad. Dont take chances, rent a trailer.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You could get this on a decent car trailer. Unless it was an M36, should fit fin considering the rear overhang. With that said, I'm somewhat thrifty and I have a deuce. If I were moving it for myself, I would suspend the aft axle, strip off all but 4 tires and strap the front axle straight and drag it around the turns.

panshark

how about if the outer wheels in back were removed, and the front wheels were on top of a 2-wheeled dolly? (Much like the ones that U-haul rents, only strong enough to support the weight.) would this work?

or

would it be possible to take one of those piggy-back attachments (used for hauling double and triple trailers) and secure the front of the chassis-duece to the top of it?

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
if you don't have access to a trailer most equipment dealers that rent skid steers and bachoes have trailers to rent usually with surge brakes so brake controlers are not an issue it would be alot safer

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
did i miss somwhere what the tow rig is?
ODdave:

The proposed Tow Rig HAS NOT been disclosed (and I must wonder why)... Hence the concensus here seems be LEAP to the side of CAUTION. <sigh>

----------------------

"To err is human. To really screw things up requires a Former Military Vehicle coupled with the Intellect of a 3-inch Rock."

I thnk it was Albert Einstien that once said: "The same intelligence used to create the problem CANNOT be used to correct it."

----------------------

Now if we can just "love our Brother" long enough for him to rethink the proposed mission, maybe we will ultimately better the MV community through our humanity.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks