• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Flat Towing a M998

Rfernandez96

I apologize if this has been beaten to death already but I searched and couldn’t really find a legit answer to my question. I got my M998 all setup to flat tow and the issue seems to be the steering. The wheels on the m998 just won’t turn and track with the tow vehicle. Any advice or suggestions? I was pulling out of the shop that got it all setup and made a rolling right turn onto a street at about 10mph and the m998 didn’t turn and it jackknifed me. Help. Thanks, Ray from SoCal

Attachments

BLK HMMWV

That is odd. I've towed a HMMWV with a HMMWV on surface streets from Holly wierd to El Monte once with a military tow bar after the towed vehicles trans took a crap. It wasn't a lot of fun, but I didn't have any problems.
How were you towing it.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You need enough tow vehicle to impose the tow vehicles will upon the HMMWV, I would not attempt it with anything less than a 1 ton dually with three fat sister in-laws in the back.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You need enough tow vehicle to impose the tow vehicles will upon the HMMWV, I would not attempt it with anything less than a 1 ton dually with three fat sister in-laws in the back.
Exactly what I needed towing my Deuce and M105 trailer with my Dodge 1500 4x4. Fine straight but the first turn the Deuce turned me everywhere but where I wanted to go.

(Safety tip: It was an emergency and I sure don't recommend trying to tow a 16,000lb load with 5,000lb pickup.)

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Exactly what I needed towing my Deuce and M105 trailer with my Dodge 1500 4x4. Fine straight but the first turn the Deuce turned me everywhere but where I wanted to go.

(Safety tip: It was an emergency and I sure don't recommend trying to tow a 16,000lb load with 5,000lb pickup.)
Could be worse.
I watched a 40 foot bus (30k lbs) being towed by an F650 tow truck (13k lbs) with the bus axle up in the air. In the rain, at night.
The air lines were hooked up to the bus, and someone in the driver's seat.
They had to make a quick stop at one point, guy in the bus hit the brakes and the front of the tow truck lifted up into the air.
Also had to take it easy until the air in the system built back up)

Tow truck was hooked to a couple rings welded to the front frame of the bus.
I checked next time I was there, both rings had the welds half ripped apart.

(I was the chase vehicle for this little adventure)

I can't imagine how it would have worked trying to do a flat tow with it.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I apologize if this has been beaten to death already but I searched and couldn’t really find a legit answer to my question. I got my M998 all setup to flat tow and the issue seems to be the steering. The wheels on the m998 just won’t turn and track with the tow vehicle. Any advice or suggestions? I was pulling out of the shop that got it all setup and made a rolling right turn onto a street at about 10mph and the m998 didn’t turn and it jackknifed me. Help. Thanks, Ray from SoCal
Hi Ray,

Lots of comments from lots of folks... A lot of them are stories from members that have "been there and done that". What you might want to do is consider downloading and reading the TM for using a Tow Bar and how to use it. The link below has lots of pictures and a few words of direction.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I flat towed mine with a 1/2t crew cab short bed chevy. It was uneventful for the most part, but it did try to steer me at one intersection. When flat towing the towing vehicle needs to certainly have more weight. And if possible, a longer wheelbase.

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ready Brake is a great thing for flat towing. I can’t speak highly enough about this gasket. It activates the brakes of the rear vehicle to make control much better.

588E38EE-3608-4D5B-8D9D-E7286DFC417F.png

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks