• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Flat towing an M1009...should I pull the driveshaft ?

acesneights1

I sold my M1009 and have to deliver it around 90 miles away . I have to flat tow it with the med duty towbar with my M1008 because I cannot get a second driver. Should I pull the rear driveshaft or can I just put the t case in neutral ?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The pump in the transfer case is driven off the rear driveshaft so you should be fine. With that said, my personal rule of thumb is anything over 50 miles, I pull the shaft. Extra layer of safety so to speak.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Didn't I read that if you do not pull the driveshaft you will cook the transfer case, except for very short distances?

Chaski

The pump in the transfer case is driven off the rear driveshaft so you should be fine. With that said, my personal rule of thumb is anything over 50 miles, I pull the shaft. Extra layer of safety so to speak.

+1 on this. The pump on an NP208 is driven by the rear output shaft. You should be fine to put the transfer case in neutral and flat tow it.

ODFever

Madness Takes Its Toll...
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just curious, acesneights1. Do you have a Class III hitch on your M1008? If so, can you rent a UHAUL trailer or tow dolly and load up the M1009?