• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Flat towing M135

45MB

Place the transfer case lever under the seat in the neutral position. There should be an instruction plate on the dash the has the instructions on towing.

When towing with all wheel on the ground . transfer in neutral
transmission in neutral
do not pull faster then 15mph
if towed over 10 miles remove front axle drive hub flanges
remove drive line between transfer case and pillow block
remove drive line between transfer case and forward rear axle

rustystud

Does anyone know if flat towing an M135 is an issue? With an auto transmission, not sure if you can just place in neutral, or if that creates problems.
With this "Dual Range Hydromatic" transmission you can actually start an engine by towing it. It has a rear pump that drives off the rear output shaft. So NEVER tow this truck without removing the driveline. I have rebuilt 4 of these transmissions and let me tell you they are a PAIN to rebuild. In fact I don't even know of any shops that would even know how to rebuild one today. So don't screw it up. Just my 2cents .

45MB

Gentleman read the manuals and the data plates on the dash. Once the transfer case lever under the seat is in the correct position the transfer case is disengaged and therefore has no connection to the transmission. At the point the truck can be safely flat towed without the need to removing the drive shafts.

Do you really think the Army took the time to remove the drive shaft every time a truck needed towed. They simply followed the procedures in the manual.

Davis Welding

Do you really think the Army took the time to remove the drive shaft every time a truck needed towed. They simply followed the procedures in the manual.
Hence the 15mph max when towing. Pulling the rear joint of the drive shaft is not a mind bending experience. Pull the one joint loose and tie it up, tow away,as far and as long as you like!

The information I posted was from Technical manual 9-8024 page 70 .The least I would do is pull one front axle drive flange and one axle from each rear axles .

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks