• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Flat towing M923

Status
Not open for further replies.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Towing is a DANGEROUE operation even with 100% CORRECT equipment, with a HOME MADE tow bar, NO MATTER how great it is, if something happens, no matter your fault or not , it will be on you because the TB IS NOT dot. OR mil. spec,

A first time driving a NEW truck, let-a-lone a double tow recovery IS NOT the place to start the learning curve.

Just because the truck starts, runs, looks in good shape does not mean it will stay that way for the trip, X 2

The bottom line is a lot of us are trying to tell you is that this IDEA is NOT the smartest idea to applly to this sitution

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Congrads on your recovery!:D

Did you make a tow bar and could you share with us the who, what , when , where?

I always wandered why they are so expensive and if your option was commercially or limited scale viable.

Thanks,

M1075

Those are good looking trucks! Thanks for posting the picture. Would you please take a few minutes and share your experiences and tips while answering the questions you had in the original post? That way, someone else can learn as well.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sure does look like a mil bar. As far as price, they suddenly seem less expensive when you have to foot just one tow bill of a 20,000# truck.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Matt had some stuff I wanted, and I had a tow bar, so we worked out a deal. I am sorry that I could not meet you closer to C-bus to try and help out with your travels! Good guy here folks!

smittyjr355

Thanks gimpyrobb for meeting me! That helped out a lot. Tow bar worked awesome. I will post more info on the trip when I get a little free time.

M35A2-AZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
:driver:Glad the trip went well!!! Always more fun when it goes good.
I guess the DOT officer liked the towing setup.:D

smittyjr355

Ok so I have some time so I will go into a little more detail about the trip. I was going to build a tow bar but I got in contact with gimpyrobb and worked a deal with him for a tow bar! I knew ahead of time that the truck I was going to tow had and air leak but had no idea where. Luckly when we got to the base and I looked at the truck the glad hand on the front of the truck was broke clean off. But I did have an extra glad hand and made it work so that I would have brakes when towing. It took about a hour and a half to get the trucks hooked together and pull the driveshafts. Although there was one bolt that stripped on the front driveshaft. This was not problem for the saw saw!!

When I first hit the road I took it easy to get used to the setup and how the truck acted pulling the dead weight behind it. Once on the express way I was crusing along at at 50 to 55 mph. The only thing that was really noticable was any sudden movement of the steering wheel resulted in the back truck swaying. So then I would slowy correct it back and made sure to make slow steering wheel movements. Also learned to take corners at slow speeds because the back truck will want to push the backend of the front truck around. Overall I couldnt have asked for anything better. Being my first time towing I was a little nervous but soon found out that it is not that difficult, just need to be alert and watch all sorroundings. Thanks for all the input I have gotten on this topic and would be happy to help anybody with flat tow questions.

Matt

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good job! only thing I see for next time is thread the chains though the towbar, so if it drops, it keeps the towbar up in the air, and make them not so long.

2cents

cundupa

I did not see it mentioned anywhere, but a tow bar must be tested to a weight rating and have the manufactures information along with a serial number on the bar.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I did not see it mentioned anywhere, but a tow bar must be tested to a weight rating and have the manufactures information along with a serial number on the bar.
The military "medium" tow bars are rated at 39,900lbs. If you need to know more, the TM is in our resources section.

JingoJohn

"...Being an engineer...and over building...." I doubt it! Have you ever hefted one of those mil-spec tow bars? I doubt you could buy the steel that goes into those WAY OVER-BUILT sufficient for 'combat emergencies' monster bars. Buy one or take up the previous offer for the loaner.

Status
Not open for further replies.