• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Flat Towing & Registration

Russm

Not sure if this is even the right forum but here goes:

I am relocating from California to Texas in a few months. My M1009 is a little too wide to fit the standard uHaul car carrier trailer. I have my M1009 set up to be flat towed with the medium tow bar. It’s registration is due around the time when I am making the move.

Question is: Do I need to renew registration fully? Or can I register it as ‘planned non-operation’? Since it won’t technically be running while I tow it.

I’d rather not pay registration a whole year forward when I won’t even be in the same state anymore.

It’s a complicated answer I’m sure. Any help is appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What I would do is try to relocate it to NV prior to the registration expiring. I would think that once you are clear of that state, you would have a better chance of making the trip without being further violated.

Ue413

I know your question is on titling, but wanted to let you know you can fit on silver haul trailer. Worse case, remove fenders so your wide tires fit past.....I've done it multiple times and will be much easier than flat towing.

Russm

I know your question is on titling, but wanted to let you know you can fit on silver haul trailer. Worse case, remove fenders so your wide tires fit past.....I've done it multiple times and will be much easier than flat towing.
Sorry just clarifying:
Remove the fenders on the trailer?

bikeman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The heaviest duty UHaul will fit it. the fenders are hinged so they can swing out of the way of larger tire setups. If guys can fit HMMWVs on it, unless you got Bigfoot's little brother, you can fit a CUCV.

Russm

Finally underway and it BARELY fits. Rotated the fender down on the trailer, there were some bracket looking things sticking up still so aired down the front tire so it doesn’t puncture when it went over them.

Pretty sure the surge brakes on the trailer barely work. Only engage when I’m about to stop at a light. I’ll try adding more brake fluid to it maybe it’ll work then.

Pulling with a Ram 2500 diesel. Pulls great. Mileage is decent. Uphill most of the way so far. climbing into the Rockies now getting12-14 mpg.

VPed

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you are using I-10 through El Paso, be aware that the interstate is closed until 0600 hrs tomorrow due to construction. Loop 375 (Transmountian) is one alternative but you have to go up and over the mountain and it is quite steep. There are runaway truck ramps. I like to use the 404 highway. The exit is before you leave NM. Safe travels.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks