• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Flex plate/fly wheel

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, a transmission rebuild(disassembly and inspection of everything).

Perhaps another member here that is more experienced with transmission rebuilding can offer a better explanation of what may be damaged.

wayne pick

Chances are you did not damage the pump, but rather bent the flexplate. If you bolted the converter on the flexplate before installing the trans, that was a mistake. allways install the converter on the trans first, then mount the trans to the engine. Never try to draw in the trans to the engine using the mounting bolts. You risk snaping the trans housing. If the trans input shaft splines are not lined up perfectly with the crankshaft, you will not be able to mount it flush to the engine. Rotate the flexplate, not the converter, to mate the input splines while a helper pushes the trans to the engine untill the dowel pins on the engine block are ingaged in the matching bores on the trans housing. Once the trans is bolted up, the last step is to bolt the converter to the flexplate.

m38inmaine

Wish I would have seen this post a few days ago, I was just over in Lincoln. I may be back that way soon, let me know if you need help.

Maineguy10

Thanks Wayne. That's today's project, see what I have gotten into for damage.
M38, I wish I had posted a few days ago. I just posted yesterday and got lots of response. Great site. Thanks for all the help guys!!

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here's some general instruction/info.

FAQ :: Precision Converters of Ohio

and one more. http://www.precisiontorqueconvertersofohio.com/faq.html

Notice they do tell you that you will damage the pump, if you bolt the bell housing without the pump engaged correctly.

Personally, I would count on it being damaged, if we are correctly diagnosing what happened.

If you unbolt the 6 converter to flex plate bolts and cannot slide the torque converter back a little bit, or cannot rotate it then it is pretty safe to say this is your issue.

Last edited:

Maineguy10

I took the chance, undid the tranny, slid it back a bit, and was able to rotate the TC and slide it back, the flex plate was bent a bit, but didn't seem bad, I took the chance and put it back together and didn't have any problems, all gears worked fine, started fine, starter didn't stick or anything.
Am I asking for trouble for doing this??

Maineguy10

I took the chance, undid the tranny, slid it back a bit, and was able to rotate the TC and slide it back, the flex plate was bent a bit, but didn't seem bad, I took the chance and put it back together and didn't have any problems, all gears worked fine, started fine, starter didn't stick or anything.
Am I asking for trouble for doing this??

wayne pick

Take a look at the flexplate with the engine running, if there is a wobble to it, both the flexplate and the starter bendix gear will wear prematurely. If there is any vibration above idle, you should replace it as it will take out the pump bearing and seal. Check the pump for leaks, as Doghead said, you may have damaged the pump. Only time will tell. If you get away with just replacing the flexplate, consider yourself lucky. Next time, if you are not sure how to make a repair, or it's a first time repair, search the TMs and threads or ask for help.

Maineguy10

Thanks Wayne. Will do. How do i check the pump for leaks?? It was my impatience kicking in that allowed me to screw up. I learned a lesson, so that helps I guess.

wayne pick

No problem, I've made mistakes when I tried to rush through a repair. you are not alone. To check for leaks, place a piece of cardboard under the converter, you will see any leaks easier that way. Of course if you see red, ya got a trans leak. If it's black, well it's a 6.2, LOL.

Castle Bravo

Hundredaire Socialite
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't know if it will stay okay or not, but I will say that you did 90+% of the work required just to change it anyways...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks