• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Flexplate help

Pstyckiewicz

So I inspected my Flexplate awhile ago and noticed some of the teeth were worn. Went to start my truck and herd it skipping on the teeth a little bit😬. Is there any easy way to change it out. Or some instructions to take it out. Truck is an M1152A1 6.5 turbo with the 480le.
Thanks in advanced!

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Like GuntherRommel said, it might need some shims. But if the flexplate teeth are damaged, it'll need replacement. Unfortunately there's no easy fix for that. It's pull the transmission/t-case to gain access to it.

Pstyckiewicz

Yup teeth are damaged/worn. That’s what I figured. I’m guessing shift linkage, cross member, hoses?. Anything else weird I should know before dropping this thing.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Drive shafts, make sure when you remove the converter bolts that you gently pry the torque converter back towards the transmission to insure that the torque converter is not "stuck" to the crankshaft so it moves back with the transmission, also be mindful if the transmission tilts forward that the torque converter can slide off the input shaft.
It,s not a bad idea to also replace the torque converter seal at this time.

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ive installed hundreds of starters in HMMWV’s, I’ve never once noticed a difference of the engagement with or without the shim…i always use them, but Ive received more than I can count that did not and were problem free.
I don’t use the shim on engines in the test stand, I just bolt the starter up and go…the problem with starters is a simple one, generally at some point in the trucks life a bendix started to fail, or even a lazy solenoid, this started the grinding, but they waited to long to replace the starter, once the starter went in, it was too late as the flexplate teeth were compromised, the end result is the new starter is Now bad as well.

FlameRed

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had the same problem last spring.

You can buy the GM one without the HMMWV tax.

Pretty much as the others stated. If you do not have a lift, just make sure you have a substantial hydraulic tranny jack as the tranny and transfer case is a heavy beast! Getting it down is easy, but getting it back up sucks using just multiple 4x4 wood blocks and multiple general jacks. Do NOT try using any kind of screw jack - these things are just too heavy for them.

Just look at what tore up the teeth. You might find the gear in the starter is gone. I bought a replacement gear but found out that it is tricky to replace yourself unless you do it everyday, so I took it for a professional local rebuild and kept it as a spare. It was a good call as there were other things that needed attention once they took it apart. You should find a shim kit installed.

I ended up installing a gear reduction starter and been told no shims are necessary. No problems with almost a year of use.

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had the same problem last spring.

You can buy the GM one without the HMMWV tax.

Pretty much as the others stated. If you do not have a lift, just make sure you have a substantial hydraulic tranny jack as the tranny and transfer case is a heavy beast! Getting it down is easy, but getting it back up sucks using just multiple 4x4 wood blocks and multiple general jacks. Do NOT try using any kind of screw jack - these things are just too heavy for them.

Just look at what tore up the teeth. You might find the gear in the starter is gone. I bought a replacement gear but found out that it is tricky to replace yourself unless you do it everyday, so I took it for a professional local rebuild and kept it as a spare. It was a good call as there were other things that needed attention once they took it apart. You should find a shim kit installed.

I ended up installing a gear reduction starter and been told no shims are necessary. No problems with almost a year of use.

You only need to move the transmission back 3in or so to get the flexplate off.

FlameRed

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Maybe mine is different, but I could NOT move the tranny/gearbox combo back far enough to get the flexplate off. The gearbox hit the fuel tank and there was not sufficient room to get the flexplate off. Maybe with the right tranny jack it could have tilted, but not working on my back with the jacks I had.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks