• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Flickering Gen 1 light

mudman

OK here it is.... just back from a ride in the 1028, Gen 1 light flickers at an idel...And gets brighter as you rev the motor... and sometimes it is not on at all. I just tightned the belt this morning. All wiring looks good and clean. Any suggestions??

K9Vic

Make sure all the posts, wires and connections are tight, I had the positive post fall out and had the same issues with the flickering light. Make sure you are careful or disconnect the batteries when checking this. It cost me $10 to get the post fixed at my alternator shop.

kassim503

Mine used to do this- it got worse until the light stayed on all the time and eventually stopped charging. I opted to have the entire unit rebuilt- worked well since

isaacucv

Another thing to consider, check your heater fuse. If its corroded, or a cheap (harbor freight) fuse it can make the gen1 light come on even though the heater is working.

K9Vic

Another thing to consider, check your heater fuse. If its corroded, or a cheap (harbor freight) fuse it can make the gen1 light come on even though the heater is working.
Really, so my thoughts of not buying their fuses in fear that they may be really cheap is true. Unlike many of their tools that I have had good luck with I never wanted to trust the fuses.

Sorry to swing off topic slightly, but that is one item at Harbor Freight I would not use, the auto fuses

isaacucv

Really, so my thoughts of not buying their fuses in fear that they may be really cheap is true. Unlike many of their tools that I have had good luck with I never wanted to trust the fuses.

Sorry to swing off topic slightly, but that is one item at Harbor Freight I would not use, the auto fuses
Yea, they're junk. I had 2 melt the yellow plastic off completely but the fuse didn't blow. I only knew there was a problem because I could smell it burning. The heater still worked fine. I replaced that one and any others with quality fuses.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
OK here it is.... just back from a ride in the 1028, Gen 1 light flickers at an idel...And gets brighter as you rev the motor... and sometimes it is not on at all. I just tightned the belt this morning. All wiring looks good and clean. Any suggestions??
Time for an anternator rebuild.

Usually it is the diode-trio or the rectifier that needs replacing. Some times the voltage regulator.

For ~$45 you can get the entire kit from an electrical parts house

Wholesale Alternator Parts - Starter Parts - Alternator & Starter Repair kits - DELCO 27SI HEAVY DUTY REPAIR KIT

or 1stSarge at CUCV Electric has a more complete kit. (he is a member here)

www.cucvelectric.com

mudman

Hey guys thanks so much for the info. I will check the fuse, but will do the rebuild anyway as I have no idea how old the alt's are. I have bought stuff from CUCV Electric and he has treated me fair & square, so that is where I'm headed now.

"Keep Your Powder Dry"

Ken Uber

2deuce

While this is an old post, the advice is still good, and the last post from Warthog is particularly spot on. I've had quite a few CUCV's and if your light is flickering or you notice at night one of the gen lights has a dull glow, the alternator is on it's last legs. I've thought about why I've gone thru so many alternators, even on very low mile trucks it happens, and I think it is because of their age and lack of use. If you decide to rebuild it yourself you will probably notice dust and corrosion in there and I think that is more of the problem than being worn out.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks