• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Flickering headlights, spiking volt meter, & dash light problems

Castle Bravo

Hundredaire Socialite
Steel Soldiers Supporter
On my M1028, I have flickering headlights (brighter than normal) and the volt meter spikes. When it does spike, it flickers into the overcharged side of meter, well into the red.

The problem is intermittent and does not happen every time the vehicle is running. I have seen the volt meter spike when the headlights are not on and I have seen it do it at idle, though it is predominantly when driving down the road. Occasionally, the truck will run for 20 minutes without it doing this, then have the issue for a few minutes, then be fine for the rest of the trip. The volt meter spiking issue can happen when the headlights and dash lights are turned off. The bright lights do still work, and get brighter yet when it flickers.

I have not been able to put a multimeter to the either alternator or batteries while the truck is running since it started having this issue.

---

A bit of maintenance history -

I have done the Doghead relay mod.

Recently, the truck would not start. Jumping the rear battery (GEN2) I was able to get the truck started again and got home. GEN1 alternator and battery were reading 14.6v when running and GEN2 was reading 11.something volts. The GEN2 light had never worked, and I came to find out that the GEN2 diode was missing as well. The GEN2 alternator tested bad, and turned out to have a bad rotor, so I put a new GEN2 alternator in and the truck. I also added a new GEN2 diode. While I had the dash apart, I cleaned all the contacts on the in-dash "electrical membrane" and replaced all the in-dash bulbs. Having replaced the GEN2 alternator and cleaning all the electrical contacts, it was very nice to see all the dash lights working. The GEN1, GEN2, and oil pressure lights all came on when putting the key in the ignition which was something I had yet to see with this truck.

Everything seemed to work for a while, but now the dash illumination lights don't function. The left turn signal light stays on solid, but flashes when the signal is turned on. The bright lights indicator is on when the headlights are on the lower setting and off when the headlights are set to bright. The bright lights indicator also blinks opposite the left hand turn signal indicator light.

The fuel gauge now drops to empty when the dash lights are turned on. The fuel gauge has never worked correctly either, usually reading full until about 1/2 a tank, where it would drop at twice the normal rate. So when it started moving, I knew I had 1/2 a tank left.

The right front forward facing marker and right front side facing marker lights do not function. Both bulbs are new, and both turn signal portions of the light work, although they blink at a slower rate than the left side does. The in-dash turn signal indicator light does not work. I don't recall if the right side indicator lights up when the hazard lights are on.

The headlights flickering and the volt meter spiking did happen before I "fixed" the GEN2 problem as well, but I believe they went dimmer and the meter dropped into the red on the undercharged side, but I am not certain of that.

---

I can do many things, but an electrician I am not. I am, however, learning.

My inclination is that I might have a bad in-dash headlight switch, but I feel that I should fix the marker light issue before anything else...

What do I need to do first to determine what issues I am having?

Any help or suggestions are appreciated. Sorry for writing a book here, but I figure more information may yield a more productive answer.

Barrman

I would suggest you check the ground wires at the top of the parking brake pedal. Revolving electrical issues normally come back to a bad connection or bad ground. Then, make sure you have the big plug on the back of the gauge panel all the way on. You very well could have bent one of the tabs over to where it is contacting the one next to it. Do it however you want, but I have better success pulling the panel out enough to look at the connections when I plug that thing in.

Next I would look at the through the firewall plug behind the fuse panel. Start by making sure the bolt in the middle is tight and if so, pull it out, pull the plugs and look for arcing evidence. If all looks good, clean and put it back together.

Report back once you have checked all grounds, gauge panel plug and contacts along with the big plug on the firewall.

OL AG '89

:ditto:

definitely sounds like grounds or cracked / loose wiring at connections

"Everything seemed to work for a while, but now the dash illumination lights don't function. The left turn signal light stays on solid, but flashes when the signal is turned on."

This fault indicates you have a running light out/not working. I just fixed this on my 09 this weekend. The left front marker and side lights weren't working. I replaced both lamps and still nothing. I removed the front light fron the housing and while "gently" turning the socket the light came on??? I started giggling wires and determined the ground wire was intermittent. I pulled the connector from the socket and discovered the spade blade was broken, not making good contact. I replaced the spade put the connector back to together and POOf all lights working and the turn signal indicator is no longer on steady.

GOOD LUCK!!

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Also check each of the ground wires on the radiator support. they are above each headlight.