• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Flipping hubs

USN_Green_Addict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've been thinking about flipping the hubs on my truck. I'm currently running 11.00-20 tires singled out. I'm getting ready to run 12.00-20 tires on it singled as well. I've been contemplating flipping the rear hubs outward. However I've been reading about why rear axles are more narrow than front, the reoccurring answer I find is with the rear axle being more narrow it helps the vehicles ability to turn. What exactly are the cons to not flipping the hubs?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you are running stock rims with the inside rim off the truck, you are putting some additional wear on those bearings. I'm not sure that a narrower rear footprint makes much difference in ease of turning. If you flip the hubs and reverse the rims you will be placing the load directly over the bearing set rather than way off to the side. Fronts and rears will be the same width as well. This is how the M34 (single wheel truck) was delivered.

USN_Green_Addict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you are running stock rims with the inside rim off the truck, you are putting some additional wear on those bearings. I'm not sure that a narrower rear footprint makes much difference in ease of turning. If you flip the hubs and reverse the rims you will be placing the load directly over the bearing set rather than way off to the side. Fronts and rears will be the same width as well. This is how the M34 (single wheel truck) was delivered.
Will the way I have my rims set up now work?

Attachments

USN_Green_Addict

Steel Soldiers Supporter

Are you saying I need to have the tire over the bearings?

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Basically, yes. Singled out, you run the rims dish out on flipped hubs.

Search for flipped hubs and postings by Gringeltaube on why that is advisable.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here is what you end up with. I think it looks a little funny but its correct. With that said, there are lots of folks running rims the way you are. As long as your not killing it with weight, you should be okay.

USN_Green_Addict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here is what you end up with. I think it looks a little funny but its correct. With that said, there are lots of folks running rims the way you are. As long as your not killing it with weight, you should be okay.

I mostly never load mine with more than 3500ish lbs. I mostly use mine to haul garbage and dirt. Part of the reason why I'm upgrading tires to 12.00-20 vs 11.00-20 G286 is so I can take full advantage of the weight ratings and not worry about overloading the tires

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I'd flip the hubs in the rear to the correct position. If you plan on running singles, that is the way its supposed to be. The wheels will all be in line with each-other. You can also check all your components like bearings, wheel cyls, and brake pad adjustment.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks