• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Flood Damage?

dc3coyote

What kind of damage is on the Katrina trucks?
Been thinking about the wrecker on GL

1607 AM GENERAL TRUCK, WRECKER W/ WINCH M816 W/ STEEL BODY MATERIAL 2 DOOR CONVENTIONAL CAB TYPE. 6CYLINDER DIESEL ENGINE W/ 6WHEEL DRIVE. ENGINE BRAKE HORSEPOWER 250. 0 AT 2100 RPM. MANUAL TRANSMISSION. MAXIMUM LOAD RATING IS 20, 000LBS FRONT&REAR WINCH LOCATION SINGLE DRUM BOOM OPERATION(POWER)BOOM MAXIUMUM LENGTH 216. 0. BOOM OPERATIONAL DIRECTION IS ROTATING&ELEVATING. CRANE OPERATIONAL TYPE(HYDRAULIC) MINIMUM SWING AGLE IN DEGREES(270. 0) LOAD LIFTING CAPACITY 10000. 0LBS. AIR&HYDRAULIC BRAKES, MILES-369187, HOURS-13914, "VEHICLE HAS WATER DAMAGED FROM HURRICANE"

Thanks
Branan

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
THINK SALT WATER, MUD, ECT. in and on EVERYTHING and has been sitting like that for a while

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would not bid on those unless you can inspect. The few I've seen have been very bad with all major components trashed (full of water) and the sheetmetal covered in salt.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
You don't want a flood truck, period. it's a parts donor, at best.

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Picture this.

Take a truck, put it in a pit. Fill pit up, COMPLETELY submerging the truck with salt water, add toxic stuff, sewage, oil, fuel, plants, mud, a dead animal or 2, contents of a septic tank, anything else you can think of, etc... Let it stew for a week or 2, maybe more, maybe less.. Empty the pit. let air dry, DONT touch anything. No draining tanks, motors, ect.. Let it sit for 2 years.. Put it up for GL auction, and just say "VEHICLE HAS WATER DAMAGED FROM HURRICANE"
Thats what those trucks went thru.

Still want to buy the truck?

timntrucks

Steel Soldiers Supporter
yes emmado posted some pic of those water babies. i dont want much to do with one at all. i got some 3/8 in chain from a friend both around 30 ft long and i cant keep them from rusting. i might scrape them Tim

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I saw an M35A3 at Fontana that was from MS. The charge air cooler was growing! it was almost twice the size from the corrosion going on. The trans was solid white. If you touched it, pieces flaked off.

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
The bad thing about them is like Mark stated they were dunked and never had anyone perform post dunk maintainance.

My dad got his first car an almost new 1937 Chevrolet that a couple drove off the end of a closed for repair bridge and drowned in it. It was pulled up shortly after the accident and my dad and grandfather bought it for almost nothing. They stripped it down and cleaned everything up. He kept it till he enlisted in December 1941 and stored it under a tarp in our barn on our farm. When he got back in 1946 he found that mice had eaten all of the seat cushions.

It is too bad that the government did not offer these up to folks for almost nothing as soon as the water receeded many of them could have been saved.

dc3coyote

Thanks guys
I was not sure how bad they would be.
I know at my Airstation, we PMS Preventive Maintaince everything to a level that is rediculous. Everytime we drive a car it has to be washed and oil is changed every 1500 miles.
I thought the other services would maintain their equipment to the same level.

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
99% of the time they do, but the Katrina stuff wasnt worth saving... With all the $ and time some OMS shop would put into "fixing" the flood trucks, knowing that FMTVs are coming, its not worth in. Heck, I bet the MEL for a M35A2 is 0%....

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks