• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

flood light setup north carolina help

Crackerjax

I bought a light trailer from a someone here in central north carolina, it looks as if it was mounted on a 105 trailer without the bed it has a crankup mast that gos about 40 or so feet with 3 huge flood lights on top it also has 4 little flood lights on tripods... it seems as if this unit is 240v only and I need to find a maunal that gos with it and a gen set... please help

thanks

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
the bulbs are more than likely Metal Halide bulbs...easily found at any electrical supplier, but you will not be happy with the price tag. Most tower lights of that sort are metal halide. The bulbs should have some information on them as to what they are.

Also it's easy enough to find out what the voltage for the set-up would be, if I could see the set that is. The ballasts for the lamps would be a give-a-way as to what voltage they are wired for. And the part about being 240 volts because of the load requirements isn't necessarily true...just by seeing the tower picture, it only has 3 lamps on it...typically these kinds of towers use 1000 watt lamps, so

3000 watts ( 1000 watts x 3 lamps ) / 120 volts = 25 amps.

A good 5 KW generator at 120 volts would run those lights just fine, and a few smaller lights like you mentioned

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
so from what you are saying, you have a total of 5000 watts of lighting...3 x 1000 on the tower and 4 x 500 for the portable floods. I haven't bought any for a while...been laid off from work, but at our volume cost we were paying over $50 per for the 500's

So a 5KW would run your set-up, but if you want extra capacity, you need to go a little bigger.

ctmustang

I personally saw that setup working some months ago and yes it was running on 110. it was being powered with a 5kw military genset. It all worked great. I may have some bulbs I will give you that I in the past used to use in my garages here at home but have since switched to a hi output fluorescent. If I can find the extras I will gladly send them to you at no charge and yes they are a bit pricey.

FrankUSMC

Crackerjax
If you make a run to the coast (Morehead City area) I have some light parts that were in a trailer I got. It is some light shields and some other stuff. You can have them.
One of the few, Frank USMC RET

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks