• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Flooded GL Truck Visit

rumplecat

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Monday I will be in Pineville, LA to have a look at the Katrina flood victims, talking to the folks down there all of trucks have water damage to one degree or another. Other than seaweed and dixie cups on top of the engines any other tell-tale signs I should be on the look out for. It should be easy to tell if they were in the water for a while, they told me the trucks were just washed off prior to being delivered to Pineville. So the insides of the vehicles are still pretty soiled. I will take a lot of pics and post when I return.
James G.

rdixiemiller

Pull the oil filler caps and see if there is a bunch of whitish gunk on the bottom side of the cap. Also, you can look into the valve area and see if there is any residual water and rust. Pull the engine dipstick and look for the same thing. Look at the oil drain plug and see if it has been recently pulled and drained. Maybe crawl under the truck and check some gearboxes. Be careful pulling the check plug, in case the gearbox is completely full. You could get a shower in gear lube. If the gearboxes are overfull, loosen the drain plug and see if a bunch of water runs out.
A truck with all the mechanical portions full of brackish water would be a real pig in a poke. You are looking at a good chance of shot gearboxes all the way through the truck, as well as a dead engine. Wiring harness will be corroding at the connectors, etc. Tear it down for sheetmetal would be the main option.
Having worked on trucks that were run in salt water, I can vouch for one main thing:
Salt water in roller bearings will ruin them in a couple of days! And that is with prompt cleaning and re-packing. Hardened steel seems to pit almost instantly when immersed in salt water.
Sure are a lot of bearings in a 5 ton truck.........

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My .02 cents...steer clear of those trucks, unless you want them for non-mechanical parts. I would almost guarantee they are junk. They look good, though.

Bruce

Olney, MD
------

1991 M149A2
1989 M932A2
1989 M925A2
1989 M101A2
1988 M977
1988 M105A2
1987 M105A2
1985 M1009 (3)
1970 M149A2
1964 M129C
1963 M332 (3)

rumplecat

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am Back from LA

I got back from Pineville last night. an eight hour drive. All of the trucks listed are toast! Sheet metal looks ok on most but all have corrosion on all the aluminum parts on the engines and dried mud in everything. I had a short visit since I managed to fall out of the expandable van they had there, luckly I landed on my head and shoulders! The camera took the fall worse than I did,though I don't feel to hot either, hopefully I can get it up and running for the few shots I took prior to the fall.
James G.

rdixiemiller

RE: I am Back from LA

I figured those would be shot. I hate to say this, but scrapping them would be the best thing. You could salvage front axle housings from the deuces, but the diffs will be shot more than likely.
I doubt there is a good engine in the bunch.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

Those pics are great! I am amazed at the corrosion caused by the flood water. Also I see that the GEICO lizard was on the job (pict9742,must have been investigating for an insurance claim)

rumplecat

Steel Soldiers Supporter

The contact maint. trucks were a total loss, everything on them was locked tight with rust. Most of them still had all of their tool compartments locked, everything was still in place, the welding trailer was also still fully equiped, cutting torch and all still in their cases! And the wreckers were a real shame, winches and all were completely rusted but the dip sticks and caps were clean, the engines may still be ok????? Some of the photos were of a communications shelter, I don't think the outside shot of it transfered but the inside shots were taken through a port in the door since the door was sprung and would not open.
As a result of falling out of the expandable van I ended up with two cracked ribs and a broken left wrist, the eight hour trip home was one of the most unpleasant drives of my life!

rmgill

How'd you fall out of the van? Misstep on the ladder?

From looking at the shop van, it looks like it wasn't up to the van itself.

rumplecat

Steel Soldiers Supporter

I was on top of the cabinet on the right side of the van, getting some photos of inside the van. When I reached for the cabinet on the other side of the van all the grit helped my hand to slide, I went down head frist from the top of the the side cabinet. I struck the floor lip with my left hand breaking a bone when folded back against the top of my wrist. That bump did turn me over on my back but I still did a pile driver into the gravel. I have rock impressions on top of my shoulders, collar bones and the left side of my head. I thought I had killed myself for about ten seconds! Way more pain than I want to feel again!
James G.

Towman2277

I Hate to hear that rumplecat, I hope all is weel soon with you. I once walked from one side of the engine bay to the other via front bumber, lost my footing and tumbled down on top of the winch. I didn't fall completely to the ground, but I gashed my knee badly. One of those things we all have to watch out for.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

Someone is taking a chance at parts reclaimation I think. Maybe for the Clark or Memphis these trucks are worth it since they get torn all the way down anyways. Speaking for myself, I don't have the money to take that kind of gamble.

devilman96

Ah... an old analogy... Worn out AR15/M16 parts never die... they just get refinished as sold at gun shows!!! Or in this case... eBay!

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

Someone should take down all the SN's of these trucks. I have a feeling we will see these trucks for sale later privately, after the GL winners see what "great buys" they bought..

rdixiemiller

Watch out for "Bought it and haven't had a chance to get it started" E-Bay auctions. I wonder how many people will try to towbar those trucks and fry the wheel brgs?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks