• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Floor jack storage

toxicroadkill

Another idea someone may find useful, behind the spare tire, was a lot of wasted space, made a little "shelf" that bolted to the larger bolts holding down the tire carrier, one on the wheel tub and one on the floor. The jack is a 1.5 ton floor jack, small but enough to use to change a tire. it sits on the shelf, and is held in place by 2 front notched pieces of steel that fit the jack and keep it from rolling back and forth, the rear two, just keep it from moving side to side. Then took 2 straps, and wrapped around the shelf and jack (and handle) to keep everything in place.

On the back side toward the tailgate, we took some old gm sheel chocks (the metal ones that are pretty easy to find), welded a nut on one, then made a little plate with a hole, bolt through plate, through both chocks and screws into the nut, clamps them in place. The bolt also has the same size head as one of the 4 way. And to make it even nicer, found that jumper cables tuck in neatly under the shelf.

I still have the original jack under the front seat and moved it's jack handle mount from the filler neck cover to the side panel behind the jack shelf.

Getting the angles and measurements for the shelf was tricky, 2 tries, plus several..cut, reweld's , but the final result, works very well.

Thought I would share.

Gm has some really good idea when they built the k5's, but there definitely is a lot of room for improvement in some areas.

jack.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks