• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Florida M818 and HVUT

Tow4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I sent off form 83045 to apply for the permanent antique tag for my M818 I got a letter back from Florida DMV asking for an IRS form showing I had paid or was exempt from a heavy vehicle use tax.

I'm going to call the DMV tomorrow and see if I can get more details. I already searched HVUT on the Florida DMV site and found out I would be exempt.

Has any Florida member ran into this? I searched HVUT on SS and didn't come up with any hits.

Pooch1128

This is because M818 is 5 ton, those on here that live in Fl. and own Semi's, or big r/v's will be fimiliar with this....Florida's way of getting more money, supposely for the roads, to offset wath they say is heavier vehicles causing more damage.... I believe it's similar to what NC residents are experencing

Vfflang

they wouldn't give me antique ...said the truck was too heavy m35a2...told them it was old MV they didn't care. Good Luck

Tow4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
they wouldn't give me antique ...said the truck was too heavy m35a2...told them it was old MV they didn't care. Good Luck
As of 5/2010 have to mail the application in for a permanent antique. Get HSMV 83045 and mail it in. I have a permanet antique on my M35A2.

Ruppster

Member of questionable origins
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I sent off form 83045 to apply for the permanent antique tag for my M818 I got a letter back from Florida DMV asking for an IRS form showing I had paid or was exempt from a heavy vehicle use tax.

I'm going to call the DMV tomorrow and see if I can get more details. I already searched HVUT on the Florida DMV site and found out I would be exempt.

Has any Florida member ran into this? I searched HVUT on SS and didn't come up with any hits.

The HVUT is only if you are asking for tags with a registered weight of 55,000 pounds or more. Did you list down a "GVW" on the forms for the antique plate? If so if it was over 55,000 pounds then that is why they are asking for it. If not then they are wrong to ask for the HVUT.

On a different note if this is due to a "GVW" spot on the form you submitted this is not the same as the truck's GVWR or GCWR. When it comes to tags "GVW" means the total combined weight you want to haul (including the weight of the truck), not what the vehicle's rated to. I have a semi truck with a GCWR of 74,000 pounds but since I didn't want to pay the HVUT I got tags with a GVW of 43,999 pounds.

So what are the limit on the tag, I drive my deuce often..
For a permanent antique plate (one time fee) you are restricted to things like vehicle shows or parades. You can get a yearly antique plate but if the truck is over 5,000 pounds (unladen weight) then it won't save you any money. But with the yearly plate there aren't any restrictions. You just have to set a GVW for the registration and pay the amount based on that GVW (the higher the number the higher the cost of the tag).

Ruppster

Tow4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The HVUT is only if you are asking for tags with a registered weight of 55,000 pounds or more. Did you list down a "GVW" on the forms for the antique plate? If so if it was over 55,000 pounds then that is why they are asking for it. If not then they are wrong to ask for the HVUT.

On a different note if this is due to a "GVW" spot on the form you submitted this is not the same as the truck's GVWR or GCWR. When it comes to tags "GVW" means the total combined weight you want to haul (including the weight of the truck), not what the vehicle's rated to. I have a semi truck with a GCWR of 74,000 pounds but since I didn't want to pay the HVUT I got tags with a GVW of 43,999 pounds.
Ruppster
No, the title says 19,500 and that's what I put on the form. There is only one question about weight and that asks weight of the vehicle.

After looking at HVUT form 2290 it says that less than 5000 miles a year are exempt.

bbf

i just did that on my 813 and 3 weeks later got my plate in i fill the form sent insurance card an fill the paper work to horseless
carriage or permanent antique

Jimma

Check with Cessnatwin in Seminole / St. Pete. He has two 5 tons and two deuces with the perm. antique tags. He should be able to provide some input.

Ruppster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This is because M818 is 5 ton, those on here that live in Fl. and own Semi's, or big r/v's will be fimiliar with this....Florida's way of getting more money, supposely for the roads, to offset wath they say is heavier vehicles causing more damage.... I believe it's similar to what NC residents are experencing

The trick is the HVUT is not a Florida issue for the state to get more money. The HVUT is a federal highway tax and it's the feds who are demanding the money, not the state. All the state is asking for is proof that you paid the HVUT to the feds for a vehicle with a GVW of 55,000 pounds or more.

No, the title says 19,500 and that's what I put on the form. There is only one question about weight and that asks weight of the vehicle.
Okay, sounds like someone with DMV wasn't paying attention and is assuming the tractor will be commercial.

After looking at HVUT form 2290 it says that less than 5000 miles a year are exempt.
That's good to know. The question is how do you prove your truck isn't used for more then 5,000 miles?

Anyhow, did you ever get this correct? How did it go?

Ruppster

Tow4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That's good to know. The question is how do you prove your truck isn't used for more then 5,000 miles?
Ruppster
Since my truck only has a little over 1,000 miles now, I don't think that will be a problem for a while.

Anyhow, did you ever get this correct? How did it go?
Ruppster
I got a call from a supervisor. She told me they made a mistake and to send the paperwork back and they would send me a tag.

Time will tell.

A

A/C Cages

I had the same problems, so I went back the next day and got someone else and boom, they handed me tags.
Seems like they dont know what they are doing over there.

stevegr

Check with Cessnatwin in Seminole / St. Pete. He has two 5 tons and two deuces with the perm. antique tags. He should be able to provide some input.
I contacted Cessnatwin before I tagged either one of my deuces. He gave me the ladies name and number to call in Tallahasee. Got permanent antique tags for both deuces. Cessnatwin was very helpfull.

Tow4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Seems like they dont know what they are doing over there.
Don't get me started A/C :rolleyes:

It's too bad they changed RS-25 so the local DMV office can't issue the permanent antique tags for former military vehicles any more. The manager at the local office was very helpful when I got the permant tag for my M35 prior to the rule change. She even gave me her card and said to call if I had any problems in the future. I called her recently on a different MV issue and she was very helpful.

Tow4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I contacted Cessnatwin before I tagged either one of my deuces. He gave me the ladies name and number to call in Tallahasee. Got permanent antique tags for both deuces. Cessnatwin was very helpfull.
I have PM'd Cessnatwin and sent him my number so he can call when he has time. If the person I talked with is the same one he uses then the problem is solved. If not then I'll know who to call.

Bigmanbrock07

I have PM'd Cessnatwin and sent him my number so he can call when he has time. If the person I talked with is the same one he uses then the problem is solved. If not then I'll know who to call.

I'd love to see how this turns out. How much is the permanent tag going to cost. I could keep it under 5000 miles a year if I can save some cash on a tag. :mrgreen:

Just got my '67 M63a2 and I'm trying like heck to get it ready in the coming months. Maybe come this winter it'll be road ready. :jumpin:

A

A/C Cages

Tow4 Do I konw you? You look like someone I know but cant place you. I see you are in Orlando, im in Orange City / Deltona area. I never forget a face. But your pic isnt clear enough to make sure.

Ruppster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'd love to see how this turns out. How much is the permanent tag going to cost. I could keep it under 5000 miles a year if I can save some cash on a tag. :mrgreen:

Just got my '67 M63a2 and I'm trying like heck to get it ready in the coming months. Maybe come this winter it'll be road ready. :jumpin:
The permanent antique tag is pretty cheap (something like 20 to 30 bucks, this is a one time fee and not annual), the catch is you can only use the truck for certain events. If you want to be able to use the truck with no restrictions then you have to pay for truck tags that are based on the amount of the overall weight of the truck and the amount you want to haul with it. For the permanent antique tag it's pretty straight forward as far as getting them for any ex-military or firetruck in Florida (can't get them a regular big truck over 5,000 pounds though).

Tow4 ran in to someone that made a stupid mistake and it sounds like the issue has been resolved. The HVUT that they said he needed does not apply to people getting permanent antique plates and never should have been asked for. The HVUT is only for someone getting weighted tags for a heavy duty truck (like a semi) and their registered weight will be 55,000 pounds or higher (the HVUT is a federal tax form and is not just a Florida requirement). I have the tag weight for my semi truck at 43,999 pounds and was never asked for a HVUT form. Since tag weight is for regular tags they do not care about overall weight (GVW) if you are getting permanent antique tags.

On a different note I noticed your location is up in the panhandle. Do you plan on driving your new truck out of state (BTW, congrats on the great score)? If so be careful about IRP and IFTA. All tandem axle trucks fall in to IRP and IFTA when crossing state lines in to another state, but some states exempt trucks that are not used in commerce (but some states don't). I'm supposed to be in Georgia with my semi truck right now getting another truck but Friday afternoon when I went to buy the permits GA says I need in order to enter the state they would not sell them to me unless I had a DOT number. Since I don't have one (I am not required to have one since I am not in commerce) I could not get them. So I had to postpone my trip till this gets cleared up. Will have to wait till Monday to continue the fight with them. The sad part is I also found out I will need an IFTA permit from Florida just to come back home. IFTA decals are starting to look better and better every day.

At least you have what Florida calls a straight truck so you will not need a CDL like I do.

Ruppster