• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Flu 419 problems. Clutch starter switch and boom not holding position.

Nick02

Got only two problems left on my FLU, but I cannot seem to figure them out.
First is the clutch switch, when depressed it sometimes will not start. The switch is fine, continuity wise when depressed. When depressed, sometimes, I can hear a “click” on the passenger side of the engine and it ready for a successful start. Other times I will depress the clutch, I will not hear the click and it will not start. It will always start but sometimes it can take 50 times of depressing the clutch to get the starter area of the motor to “click” before pushing the starter button to get it to turn over. Trying to see of there is a sticky relay or something inside the starter going on but I cannot figure it out.

Second problem, I am new to the world of backhoe.
My boom cylinders work but will not hold position. The boom will go down with gravity if I let my hand off the lever. The part where you move the cylinder with the lever, control valve assembly (I think that is what it is called) does have a slow leak when sitting. The cylinders have no external leaks. The lever for the boom does make a louder hissing sound when move it compared to all other levers.

Maybe it is an internal leak on both cylinders. Rebuilding the boom cylinders seems simple enough. Will G105528 Case 580C boom cylinder kits work for the M35C?

Fixing the leak in the control assembly scares me, I cannot really find information on it or where I order parts to repair it. Has anyone here done this before?

Thanks!

Speedwoble

Backhoe has a lot more in common with the 580E. If you look in the FLU parts manual, it lists the CASE part number which can be cross referenced by your case dealer. Hydraulic cylinders generally cannot compress due to an internal leak without an external leak. The reason is the fluid from the piston end would have to flow to the side with the rod, which is a smaller volume. As fluid is incompressible, it will reach steady state and stop moving. so you are looking for an external leak and possibly an internal. Good luck. I have a spare backhoe for parts if you need any.

Nick02

So, according to the SEE manual, Figure 301. Hydraulic Cylinders – Backhoe Boom Cylinder Assembly. G106168 is the boom cylinder part number and that is used on 580B 580C 580D 580E 580SE backhoes. The part number also referenced to repair all the seals in the boom cylinders is 1543265C1

I also figured out that the Control valve assembly has no leak, the dipper cylinder seal is leaking and dripping down onto the controls... opps
G109423 kit will fix that.

Wondering if I should pull the spool valve apart first or the cylinders?

Attachments

Last edited:

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
First is the clutch switch, when depressed it sometimes will not start. The switch is fine, continuity wise when depressed. When depressed, sometimes, I can hear a “click” on the passenger side of the engine and it ready for a successful start. Other times I will depress the clutch, I will not hear the click and it will not start. It will always start but sometimes it can take 50 times of depressing the clutch to get the starter area of the motor to “click” before pushing the starter button to get it to turn over. Trying to see of there is a sticky relay or something inside the starter going on but I cannot figure it out.
I often have to turn the master switch off and back on again on the Winter SEE, leaving the clutch depressed.
Not enough of a hassle to make me find the real problem (which in my case is likely the master switch).

Pinsandpitons

My master switch is a little touchy as well. Though my reading indicated maybe something else? Do you have lights and gauges and what not during these no start situations?

The backhoe control valves are really not that difficult to deal with. It sounds to me like a valve problem. Probably just a missing or damaged O-ring or two. The hard part is getting that valve stack out of the machine.

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good question. I'm so used to these things that I can't say for sure if the rest comes on or not. But I'd say it does, or I'd remember.

I also need to get into the valve compartment, as one outrigger lever is all but ineffective in the retract direction. Might be quickest to cut a large access hole and then make a cover plate.

Pinsandpitons

I’m not sure what the T M says but just take the backhoe off, block it up, and remove the valve block that way. I can’t imagine trying to do it with the implement on the machine.

I was actually asking Nick if his gauges etc. stayed on. I just wondered if the clutch switch and starting solenoid click was a red herring.

Mep803a

Backhoe has a lot more in common with the 580E. If you look in the FLU parts manual, it lists the CASE part number which can be cross referenced by your case dealer. Hydraulic cylinders generally cannot compress due to an internal leak without an external leak. The reason is the fluid from the piston end would have to flow to the side with the rod, which is a smaller volume. As fluid is incompressible, it will reach steady state and stop moving. so you are looking for an external leak and possibly an internal. Good luck. I have a spare backhoe for parts if you need any.
I had just refurbished my Dipper/Crowd Cylinder and someone stole before I was able to put it on. I Can definelty use another if you have one available.
I'm in Texas but I'm sure we can work something out. My direct number is 817-966-6969

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Damn! That had to be someone really strong. I still remember fighting with mine, and that was using a tractor to lift it.
Anyway, very sorry to hear about yours. The world sure isn't what it used to be.

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The backhoe is almost identical to the Case Model 35C civilian backhoe. I bought a printed parts manual for the 35C backhoe on Ebay for $10.00 and it has been very useful. They are still listed on Ebay for $10.00. I had some problems with the backhoe when I first got my SEE. The first problem was that one of the stabilizer legs extended fully and wouldn't retract. I also couldn't swing the backhoe to either side. I went to the closest Case dealer and talked with a mechanic. I thought I had all kinds of internal problems with the valving. He helped me out, explaining how everything worked, and made some very good suggestions. All at no charge. Now my backhoe works like new and with very little effort to fix it. If you have a local Case dealer, go talk to one of the mechanics and tell him what your symptoms are. Show them a picture of your SEE. When I showed them a picture of my SEE, they went nuts trying to help me. You could also have the Case dealer repair your backhoe, but that might be expensive depending on their labor rates.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks