• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

FLU419 front loader hydraulic pump issues.

spalinko

Yes that's my plan, I have the belt and I have time to do it tomorrow, but just in case the pump bearing and/or shaft is bad (in which case I might be able to take the bearings and/or the shaft to Granger or Whistler and get a copy) but I need to locate a replacement just in case.

Wouldn't it be worth trying to put a correct belt on the pump you already have?

peakbagger

Wouldn't it be worth trying to put a correct belt on the pump you already have?
I agree entirely, ultimately you need the right belt and may need to clean off the rust on the pulley faces from years of sitting (many SEEs seem to loose their hoods so the belts and pulleys are sitting outside). Even if the old pump is bad, you need to clean out the hydraulic system of whatever crud caused the first one to go bad.

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I may have missed it, but why is the pump suspected to be bad in the first place? A slipping belt won't kill it, just make it not work right.

Not the greatest comparison, but I wouldn't be concerned with wheel bearings or axle seals if getting a flat tire. I'd just fix the tire.

spalinko

Yes originally when the pump failed it was making a horrible screeching sound, sounded like a bad bearing and because it's been sitting for so long getting the pulley off was difficult and I'm also working on dump trucks and other vehicles so in the meantime I was trying to find a replacement pump in case it wasn't repairable.

Yesterday I did put a new belt on there hooked it all back up got the tension right and bled the air out of the system and it seems to be operating it is a little bit weak.

My new belts and sandpaper some parts cleaner did the trick for now.

319cssb

FWIW there is safety relief valve on the loader crossarm that limits the loader circuit hydraulic pressure. Some folks have suggested cranking up the setting to get more capacity out of the loader and at least one individual claims to have done so. The hoses are not rated for higher pressure. There could also be issues with the actual loader components. I can not recall off hand what the setting it but 2000 psi sticks in my mind
How do you crank up the setting on it?

peakbagger

I have not done it but on typical relief valve if there isnt an adjusment screw hidden under a cap to adjust the preload on the relief, then
How do you crank up the setting on it?
I have not done it, but this thread mentions cranking up a screw FLU419 Front loader | SteelSoldiers Since it is an inline relief valve my guess is the discharge hose needs to be removed and there should be nut on the inside of the valve body that can be turned with a socket, typically screwing it in increases the output pressure while screwing it out reduces the pressure.

319cssb

I have not done it but on typical relief valve if there isnt an adjusment screw hidden under a cap to adjust the preload on the relief, then

I have not done it, but this thread mentions cranking up a screw FLU419 Front loader | SteelSoldiers Since it is an inline relief valve my guess is the discharge hose needs to be removed and there should be nut on the inside of the valve body that can be turned with a socket, typically screwing it in increases the output pressure while screwing it out reduces the pressure.
I did t see anything like that when I had mine apart. Are you sure you’re not talking about the valve on the left side of the boom?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks