• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Flu419 power steering tensioner

319cssb

Does anyone have a write up on how to get the power steering tensioner loosened? I need to replace the hydraulic pump belt.

319cssb

The TM makes it very easy sounding
6A973907-BFA0-4CA4-B345-9BF049D7F519.jpeg
First I had problems to orient myself and find the particular nuts and screw.
The nut (1) in the TM is. 1 3/16” (it’s probably metric, but I don’t have anything larger in my GMTK than 22mm )
The second nut which is more felt than seen is a 17mm. The bolt was turning by hand then. Could be a 17mm as well, I am not sure.
I used a ratchet strap to pull and hold the pump far enough for me to slide the PS belt off.
4F5251E5-D912-4025-BB08-E2FA102B4238.jpegDCB51ED2-DA69-4323-9272-B7B751FB0F65.jpeg
I’ll update this post as I go along.
Some individuals talk about taking the radiator out to do this. I doubt it is necessary, plus getting the radiator out is a whole different kind of pain..,One individual mentioned that even with the adjuster lose the pump wouldn’t budge. I am sure he didn’t loosen the huge nut holding the pump from pivoting.
The problem with these flu419 is that pretty much everything, including the driver is somewhat of an interference fit.
Once I got the hydraulic belt around the PS belt I used the strap to pull the pump over to the other side until I felt the right belt tension. Then I went underneath and finger tightened the tensioner bolt and snugged it a bit with the 17mm while making sure the nut is turn the way it needs to and snugged it up.
2928497E-684B-4BC6-B3EE-F4D942E4124A.jpeg
Then I took the strap off and what was left to do is to tighten the hydraulic pump tensioner

Last edited:

319cssb

If you feel like doing this job yourself, the TM somewhat describes it in TM 5-2420-224-20-2 . Page 4-506 is about the hydro belt removal and install and page 4-356 is about the power steering belt removal and install.
No need to remove the radiator, or the fan, or the alternator or its pulley... unless you got 8 hours to fill before COB.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks