• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

FLU419 SEE HMMH HME Owners group

General Hood

The FLU419 individual wires on the wiring harness are tough TOUGH to trace out. It almost seems like the wiring harness was first on the assembly line, and the truck was built around it. Thanks to these critters taking advantage of chewing the wires in two at the most difficult spots to perform repairs

rat (1).jpg
I pulled the air intake to clear out a nest, and found these wires nibbled through, it appears they attached to a relay but I cannot find a schematic in the manuals that defines which wire goes to each terminal on the connector
rat (2).jpgrelay.jpgLooking further into the abyss of unreachable wiring with a flashlight, I see the varmints have stripped multitudes of wiring clusters. Is this a good time for colorful metaphors? :whistle:

Attachments

And Gadget, keep your spirits up and you'll get your SEE working just fine. Bleeding a bit in the process is helpful, too, as you automatically lower your blood pressure when bleeding.
Thanks, and I am! A few cloudy days in a row and I'm down to cleaning out the fuel tank, fixing the gauges/wires, adding a 6th layer of paint, and greasin' her down. HOT dog! And...I probably did need some reduction in my blood pressure. :cool:

General Hood. I think I have some good news for you. While relentlessly scouring the web for various SEE goodies, I just came across this little tid bit. EI has decals listed now! New Listings>New Diesel Unimog Products> About 80% down the page. $271. Good luck with your wire woes, I'm sure I'm in for a headache as well.

Also, it looks like EI is just about to finish listing a pretty decent compilation of FLU parts, one of those appears to be a whole fan/radiator assembly for the hydraulics. May be the way to go if you have a dead front fan. Think I saw the HMMH lockout cylinder too, but forget who was asking about those.

Let me get on this phone and see if I can post a picture of what I'm working with...

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Also, it looks like EI is just about to finish listing a pretty decent compilation of FLU parts, one of those appears to be a whole fan/radiator assembly for the hydraulics. May be the way to go if you have a dead front fan. Think I saw the HMMH lockout cylinder too, but forget who was asking about those.
Oh, getting the front fan out isn't that bad...unless it's hot out. But it sure wasn't the 2-hour (including removing the one from the parts SEE) 4-bolt job I had expected it to be.
If changing out the rear fluid anyway, just disconnect the hydraulic lines from the cooler to get access. After draining the system, or you'd have a real mess.
Alternatively, if your SEE doesn't have moss growing on it - being from Washington, mine did - and rusted fasteners aren't an issue, removing the four bolts for the hose reel would also let you get the front fan out. I didn't dare try that as the inner two nuts aren't accessible, and two of the four captive nuts on the cooler became un-captive, but those you can get to.

peakbagger

Be careful with EI, once they make a listing they don't erase it when its sold out. They usually put a default value on the price and list it as not available. The hydraulic radiator has been in that status for quite awhile. I ordered a set of cab struts that were listed as in stock awhile back and got response a few days later that they were out of stock. There is also the ultimate SEE tool kit listing, it was sold just a few days after it was listed but the listing remains as out of stock.

I am not dumping on E&I, I expect its major effort to create listings and easy to get stocking levels screwed up if someone strolls in the warehouse and picks up a part without logging it in the computer. They are after all a surplus shop and they sell what they have got to a limited market. If in doubt if you see it try to buy it rather than waiting like I did with the ultimate SEE tool kit. EI was shipping the parts common with 416s to Europe as he could sell them for more but I expect the current exchange rates he would prefer to sell in the US

With respect to the mystery relay. I downloaded the parts manuals in pdf format (I believe from this website) and find the "ctrl F" function works great for looking up mystery part numbers. Its a good chance that the part number on the relay lines up with a part number in the manual and from there you can figure out what the darn thing is and then proceed to figure out how important it is. It sure sounds like it time to take out all the gauges unbolt the fuse panel and unfold the harness away from the firewall. I had a table set up with my laptop next to the truck so I could search the manuals. I also got a heat gun, soldered every repair and heat shrunk a sleeve over everything so that I didn't have to worry about crimp connectors failing in the future.

General Hood

Scraped and sanded the rust and pealing paint from backhoe controls to the bucket. Applied rust inhibitor, 2 coats of red primer, and green paint to match the original color. Next weekend I'll work on sprucing up another section......... if time allows.

IMG_20160731_112835178.jpgIMG_20160731_112850144_HDR.jpgIMG_20160731_112926669.jpg

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter

General Hood

Nice! Are you ever going to be able to sink that bucket into rocky dirt now?
Oh it has a nice little rock scraping, tree stump pulling job waiting for early Fall. Want it looking good before the dance.
The military unit this SEE came out of must have repainted it once with a push broom and floor mop. It looks awful. I have hours of sanding ahead of me.

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's your choice, General Hood, but I've noticed that my SEE digs ditches just fine with somewhat crappy paint.
Alright, I'm envious. I wish I could make mine look as good as it works, but if/when it gets help in the paint department, it'll be with a push broom and floor mop.
Unless, of course, I find my spray gun first.
My big concern is the rusty hydraulic hard lines. Those really could use some attention before it's too late to salvage them.
May I invite you for a paint party?

Proud owner of a FLU 419 out of Texarkana.

Tulsa
Oklahoma
USA

Less than 1K miles on meter, 2003 rebuild.

IMG_20160727_192851.jpgIMG_20160727_192626.jpg

Notice the incredible fuel prefilter. The wire mesh all but fell off in my hand, the Aluminum had a thick powdery oxide coating.

Sorry for the misinformation regarding EI's inventory. Hopefully soon they will have more parts listed and available!

It took me the better part of a day to change my oil. Every time I get close to it, I have the insatiable desire to pick off paint flakes. Huge ones, layers thick, everywhere. I think the same guy painted mine. I figured they taped off the windows and dumped a barrel of paint on top of it, but maybe they went so far as to polish it out with a dusty shop broom, who knows.

Tomorrow is dedicated to finding a wrench big enough for the bolts that hold the bucket on. Following seemingly sound advice before I work on the electrical issues.

Last edited:

General Hood

Proud owner of a FLU 419 out of Texarkana.

Tulsa
Oklahoma
USA

Less than 1K miles on meter, 2003 rebuild.

View attachment 636623View attachment 636624

Notice the incredible fuel prefilter. The wire mesh all but fell off in my hand, the Aluminum had a thick powdery oxide coating.

Sorry for the misinformation regarding EI's inventory. Hopefully soon they will have more parts listed and available!

It took me the better part of a day to change my oil. Every time I get close to it, I have the insatiable desire to pick off paint flakes. Huge ones, layers thick, everywhere. I think the same guy painted mine. I figured they taped off the windows and dumped a barrel of paint on top of it, but maybe they went so far as to polish it out with a dusty shop broom, who knows.

Tomorrow is dedicated to finding a wrench big enough for the bolts that hold the bucket on. Following seemingly sound advice before I work on the electrical issues.
Congratulations on your acquisition. Nice looking SEE!

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That one looks nice, in the photo at least.
And it does make me wonder what the heck they put in the fuel tanks in Texarkana. Thankfully, my prefilter didn't look nearly as bad as yours, but the inside of the tank was a different story.
Picking off paint flakes is therapeutic, but not overly productive. I tend to do it while stuck on the phone and unable to make noise.

Hummerdave

That's a good looking truck...looks a lot like mine! Here's a pic from when I got it home from the shop after replacing the engine and getting the brakes working and repairing the wiring and replacing the steel fuel tank with a new aluminum one and painting & installing a new fiberglass hood..... and........and.... and...
Mine still has Kansas natl guard markings on it..
KIMG0237.jpg

Dave

General Hood

That's a good looking truck...looks a lot like mine! Here's a pic from when I got it home from the shop after replacing the engine and getting the brakes working and repairing the wiring and replacing the steel fuel tank with a new aluminum one and painting & installing a new fiberglass hood..... and........and.... and...
Mine still has Kansas natl guard markings on it..
View attachment 636698

Dave
I kept the Michigan Air National Guard markings on my latest SEE, don't know why, maybe as a reminder that I need someone to blame for it's noticeable lack of maintenance :whistle:

tendermos

Just got my FLU419 from govpanet - LOVE THIS THING!!!!

Everything worked. Was completely up to the description provided. Moreover, came complete with hydraulic tools - big surprise.

Now, after driving from Miami to Naples (100 miles) my hydraulic tools stopped responding to the on/off button. Before it brought RPMs up and now nothing happens. Hydraulic fluid flows but no air pressure (air pump is working). Also, now I can't control RPMs from the backhoe and I assume its related.
Any ideas what might cause this?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks