• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

FLU419 SEE HMMH HME Owners group

Another Ahab

Just got my FLU419 from govpanet - LOVE THIS THING!!!!

Everything worked. Was completely up to the description provided. Moreover, came complete with hydraulic tools - big surprise.

Now, after driving from Miami to Naples (100 miles) my hydraulic tools stopped responding to the on/off button. Before it brought RPMs up and now nothing happens. Hydraulic fluid flows but no air pressure (air pump is working). Also, now I can't control RPMs from the backhoe and I assume its related.
Any ideas what might cause this?
It's a fundamental physics principle of MV Equilibrium:

- You got fired up because the SEE ran better than you expected, and because it also came complete with the hydraulic tools.

You were getting way too much of a good thing; and you were just struck with a rapid correction. It happens that way sometimes.

And for the record, Welcome form Virginia!

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
J
Now, after driving from Miami to Naples (100 miles) my hydraulic tools stopped responding to the on/off button. Before it brought RPMs up and now nothing happens. Hydraulic fluid flows but no air pressure (air pump is working). Also, now I can't control RPMs from the backhoe and I assume its related.
Not sure if you mean that you have no air pressure in the brake system, or if it's only the rear hydraulics that won't work now.
Perhaps the most obvious would be if you didn't engage the PTO. If it's engaged, I'd start looking for electrical gremlins in the rear system.

tendermos

Not sure if you mean that you have no air pressure in the brake system, or if it's only the rear hydraulics that won't work now.
Perhaps the most obvious would be if you didn't engage the PTO. If it's engaged, I'd start looking for electrical gremlins in the rear system.
PTO is engaged - backhoe is working fine. I was thinking exactly about those **** gremlins. That is the only logical explanation. Just wanted to see if someone has experienced similar symptoms and where to look for them.

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You may want to start with the two fuse panels under the hood, to make sure that all fuses are indeed making contact.
Then there are electrical connections on the valves behind the cab, which I've never messed with. Yet, anyway.

General Hood

IMG_20160804_185435381.jpg

Yes I just painted the back half of this SEE and
Yes I wasn't going to work it till Fall but
Yes I had a great time moving rock and trees. This thing is a beast, so what if I need to do a little touch up paint later. One of the cylinders leaked at first, but it sealed up after about 15 minutes of use
Oh, and yes, it put my neighbor's Kubota to shame :whistle:

peakbagger

PTO is engaged - backhoe is working fine. I was thinking exactly about those **** gremlins. That is the only logical explanation. Just wanted to see if someone has experienced similar symptoms and where to look for them.
I would check the fuse for the rear end. If I remember its a red one on the left side of the right fuse box. The backhoe will run but the remote speed control and the hydraulic power tools and the remote loader lift will not work. Buy a few spares as you may not have fixed the root cause which may be a shorted out hydraulic cooling fan motor. Of course to make it interesting the hydraulic cooling fans don't turn on until the fluid is heated up. So you get to play with the toys for awhile but once you start getting serious the fluid warms up and the cooling fan switch closes and the fan shorts out the fuse. There is a TSB on the cooling fans leaking at the grommets where the wires go into the case. Best idea is disconnect the fan wiring at the terminal block at the base of the fan (backhoe needs to be deployed to easily get to it.). You can then check each fan for a short and disconnect the bad one. There are few members with same issue. I haven't found a source for an exact replacement (I checked with EI but the never responded). I ordered tow 24 volt radiator cooling fans from Ebay and made up an adaptor plate.

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
One way to save time (and the planet, if you're so inclined) is to jump the terminals on the temp sensor, making the fans come on that way.
It's under the front "box" on the cooler. Takes a 9/16" wrench on the side and 7/16" deep socket for the bolt on top.
I may end up putting a manual override switch on it, just in case, since I ended up wounding the sensor when trying to unscrew the wire terminals.

travisd253

I am looking for a wiring diagram for an FLU419 I just got it on Monday and noticed yesterday that rats had eaten my wiring behind my gauges someone earlier had mentioned a poster size diagram that would work perfectly but if someone knows where to buy the book I would appreciate it I already have the technical manual TM 5-2420-224-10 but no wiring diagrams there. Thanks

Bikers33

I am looking for a wiring diagram for an FLU419 I just got it on Monday and noticed yesterday that rats had eaten my wiring behind my gauges someone earlier had mentioned a poster size diagram that would work perfectly but if someone knows where to buy the book I would appreciate it I already have the technical manual TM 5-2420-224-10 but no wiring diagrams there. Thanks
TM 5-2420-224-20-2 may help.

peakbagger

There is no book with a complete diagram that I have been able to locate. I have written a couple of long posts on the repair method which uses a lot of patience and the electrical system diagnosis section of the technical manuals. (Starts on Page 3-63 of the technical manual ). There is no quick fix, expect some bonding time with your new SEE ;). If I did it over again I would take the loader off to get easier access.

I swear they pdfs were somewhere on the Steel Soldiers site but here is link to the full set. http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billavista/Mog/

Unless you have access to a commercial printer, you will burn up a lot of paper and toner printing them out. They are much easier to use on a computer. When doing the electrical repair I had the laptop setup next to the truck and used the CTRL F function to search for wire codes.

Last edited:

mcflurry

New FLU419 (SEE) needs a jump

I just purchased a 1989 FLU419 (SEE). I am a new owner with zero experience. My plan is to visit my new toy in a week or two, and have been told that it is in good operating condition. However, it will not start on its own. I have noticed other 419s which have the same symptoms, and was wondering if anyone knew the issue. As it is described to me, the 419 starts with a jump, but only at the starter not the battery.

Any thoughts on likely causes for this problem? I was hoping a new battery would do the trick, but I am getting hints that there may be more to this. Thanks in advance for any help.

Another Ahab

I wish I could help you, mcflurry, but I can't:

- I don't know squat about the SEE's; I just like them a lot.

Welcome from Virginia, and good luck.

General Hood

I just purchased a 1989 FLU419 (SEE). I am a new owner with zero experience. My plan is to visit my new toy in a week or two, and have been told that it is in good operating condition. However, it will not start on its own. I have noticed other 419s which have the same symptoms, and was wondering if anyone knew the issue. As it is described to me, the 419 starts with a jump, but only at the starter not the battery.

Any thoughts on likely causes for this problem? I was hoping a new battery would do the trick, but I am getting hints that there may be more to this. Thanks in advance for any help.
Welcome to the site from SE Oklahoma. New batteries done the trick for me

peakbagger

The prior owner of my SEE found that the fuse box had corrosion in it. He ended up cleaning the contacts and the starter started working.

Hopefully the Texas rats didn't visit behind the dashboard.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks