• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

FLU419 SEE HMMH HME Owners group

General Hood

I am curious if part of the problem with the fuse panel is that many of the SEEs are missing their hoods. This design is definitely poor as I expect that many folks that have a hood leaves them off. My SEE is also missing the clear plastic covers over the fuse panel which also potentially increases exposure of the fuse block to corrosion. I have considered putting conductive grease on my contacts after I have cleaned them.

Of course in reading Unimog forums these fuse panels seem to be long term issue on regular mogs. Apparently this design was quite popular on many European vehicles, a Volvo mechanic once commented that this style fuse panel was a good money maker for the shop. It got the customer in the door and was an easy fix that usually would give them a chance to upsell other services.
I use a product called No Ox on my fuse terminals as well as the battery terminals. It comes in spray or cream. Long lasting oxidation and corrosion preventive product that increases electric conductivity

So do the lights, which I really haven't had a use for yet since I don't have a tunnel.
You haven't dug a tunnel yet!? That's first on my list. :D

Yup, No Ox, found a whole tub of it at work last week. A different contractor must have left it, we use it on everything. They send half of the parts that we actually need, and a brand new tub or two of No Ox for every little job we have. 2 tubs would last a year, but whatever. Hope the rats don't think it's peanut butter...

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You haven't dug a tunnel yet!? That's first on my list. :D
No logical place for a tunnel where I live these days - although, I suppose I could build a hill easy enough.
At the old homestead there was a perfect hillside to have a tunnel in, which I wanted really badly for fire proof and cool storage.
Since I didn't have a backhoe (or a tunnel boring machine) at the time, I searched for a used tunnel.
Not even a neighbor who worked on the tunneling project in San Bernardino, CA, could me find one (or maybe he just couldn't see my tunnel vision), so I gave up.

On a more positive note, I got to use the forklift a bit today. That made up for much other stuff.DSCN1247[1].jpgDSCN1248[1].jpg

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Today got the indicator lights wired, the gauge lights wired, the quick start wired, the amp gauge is done. found the mate to 2 more wires, still have the buzzer to wire, and still have about 7 wires that I have yet to find where they go or a mate, still no right rear brake/turn signal and in my travels on the battlefield 2 more munched wires, on the whole, a VERY good day, I think (hope) only a few more days then I ill be able to declare a VICTORY .

General Hood

Today got the indicator lights wired, the gauge lights wired, the quick start wired, the amp gauge is done. found the mate to 2 more wires, still have the buzzer to wire, and still have about 7 wires that I have yet to find where they go or a mate, still no right rear brake/turn signal and in my travels on the battlefield 2 more munched wires, on the whole, a VERY good day, I think (hope) only a few more days then I ill be able to declare a VICTORY .
Your progress is commendable sir. I spent a few minutes tracking a chewed wire this morning and found that single wire chewed completely through in 3 locations. I now have a lonely headlight operational

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
...on the whole, a VERY good day, I think (hope) only a few more days then I ill be able to declare a VICTORY .
Time to Google "champagne on sale". Edit: By the way, have you checked the ground for that right rear light?

Mr. Hood, I hope it's the right side headlight you got to work. Unless you need illumination of the hoses for the loader, which is about all the left one will do.

Last edited:

General Hood

Time to Google "champagne on sale". Edit: By the way, have you checked the ground for that right rear light?

Mr. Hood, I hope it's the right side headlight you got to work. Unless you need illumination of the hoses for the loader, which is about all the left one will do.
I'll post a photo tomorrow of my illuminated hydraulic hoses, my SEE is a lefty

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial

Yep, I ran a hot lead to the light, I unplugged the wire, hooked the hot lead up and I created light.

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Your progress is commendable sir. I spent a few minutes tracking a chewed wire this morning and found that single wire chewed completely through in 3 locations. I now have a lonely headlight operational
With the above in mind, think what is like with about 50% of the wires used for lunch.

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Well that is not a good thing to report, lets get the wiring done so it can be started :)
You can ALWAYS come over and improve on the wiring fix, my feelings will NOT be hurt in even the littlest bit.

Now that the want-a-be weatherman turned vehicle rat munch fixer electrician has stepped forward with his offer to help, a little late being that I am down to about 5 wires, with 2 being in the 0 series (ground), I do have a question, I have a set of wires one hot the other ground, they are encased in a protective sleeve, I have about 2' of the wires in the sleeve, the rat ate it in two, I pulled it out from somewhere on the left side of the front of the POS, according to the -20, it powers the "DOME LIGHT", there is NO dome light, I CAN NOT find the other end or where the munch took place, any ideas on this issue would be a big help, OR should I just wait for the super rat munched wire fixer to come over and do his thing. :roll:

One wire at a time

88FLU419

There is a dome light right above the windshield. The wires came down through the driver side of the cab right next to the windshield. You should be able to see where they come out behind the hazard switch by removing the defrost duct.

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
WELL the dash is together, have start by push button, have tac some what, shows ideal rpm but not higher, have lights, low/high, think right headlight has a ground issue, have turn signals, no indicator, have hazard, no test button yet, no oil/water temp gauge, seems to be wired right ?, none of the five indicator lights ??? has to be wire 172, amp gauge works, no charge light works, wimpy horn works ect., ect.

You have to remember that when I got the POS, NOTHING worked thinks to Mr. RAT, so EVERY item that NOW WORKS is a win in the WIRE WAR.

Part of the wiring problem is that some of the wire numbers on the wires are smeared so bad that a 6 could be a 3, 8, or 9, a 1 could be a 7, a 4 could be a 9, on and on, I think I have gotten most correct, so now it is tracing every wire that belongs to the non working items.

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good work, Ron! You have noticed than the tach and some other gauges don't work until the alternator charges, right?
I always keep it at a low rpm until the oil pressure comes up, then increase the rpm to get the gauges working.

General Hood

WELL the dash is together, have start by push button, have tac some what, shows ideal rpm but not higher, have lights, low/high, think right headlight has a ground issue, have turn signals, no indicator, have hazard, no test button yet, no oil/water temp gauge, seems to be wired right ?, none of the five indicator lights ??? has to be wire 172, amp gauge works, no charge light works, wimpy horn works ect., ect.

You have to remember that when I got the POS, NOTHING worked thinks to Mr. RAT, so EVERY item that NOW WORKS is a win in the WIRE WAR.

Part of the wiring problem is that some of the wire numbers on the wires are smeared so bad that a 6 could be a 3, 8, or 9, a 1 could be a 7, a 4 could be a 9, on and on, I think I have gotten most correct, so now it is tracing every wire that belongs to the non working items.
I have some wires chewed off at the terminal ends, where the wires are numbered, which creates a problem when more than one wire goes to a particular module. Mr Rat gets a dishonorable Discharge for destruction of Govt Property

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks