• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

FLU419 SEE HMMH HME Owners group

Mark1954

Interesting how the newer 1550L37 has a much more square body and a flat windshield. In comparison, the green (literally) HMMH sports far better aerodynamics, and being smaller it should also handle better.
Now I'm finally starting to understand why Bison is treating his HMMH like a sports car. Compared to the 1550L37, it is.
My other car is a Lotus Exige, PLEASE don't treat the HMMH as a sports car unless you paint the #116 on both sides
(reads 911 when it is upside down);)

Another Ahab

Interesting how the newer 1550L37 has a much more square body and a flat windshield. In comparison, the green (literally) HMMH sports far better aerodynamics, and being smaller it should also handle better.
Now I'm finally starting to understand why Bison is treating his HMMH like a sports car. Compared to the 1550L37, it is.
Smaller might be better for something like parallel parking, but those short wheel-bases can become squirrelly at anything approaching speed.

But then I'm not sure that the words "speed" and "HMMH" are related together at all. :whistle:

burquedoka

Funny, as big as she is, the square cab is the sports car of the two. She hauls but! Easily does the right lane on the interstate (60mph). It is a divorced transmission on this series, and as such there is a beautiful overdrive available from Class that would drop the rpm's down 20% which would allow her to cruise 65-70. Only problem is the Class is around $8000 these days! The other nice thing about the square cabs is the copious amount of space inside, Doka cab or single cab, ther is no comparison to the cozy, er cramped cab of the 406/16/19 series.

General Hood

Funny, as big as she is, the square cab is the sports car of the two. She hauls but! Easily does the right lane on the interstate (60mph). It is a divorced transmission on this series, and as such there is a beautiful overdrive available from Class that would drop the rpm's down 20% which would allow her to cruise 65-70. Only problem is the Class is around $8000 these days! The other nice thing about the square cabs is the copious amount of space inside, Doka cab or single cab, ther is no comparison to the cozy, er cramped cab of the 406/16/19 series.
I think the majority of us on this forum have a touch of MOG MADNESS, welcome to the group, and we look forward to hearing more from you. BTW, nice trucks you have there mister

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Smaller might be better for something like parallel parking, but those short wheel-bases can become squirrelly at anything approaching speed.
Hey, are you insinuating that I should slow down when driving my AH Bugeye, or Lotus Super 7 replica?? They're already quite a bit slower than the 300-hp MGB I recently sold, and there's a limit to how slowly I can drive. On the road, that is.

And speaking of leaving things behind in the rear view mirror, does anyone here happen to have an extra pair of mirror brackets for a SEE?
I don't need the mirror heads, but the tubing and the little brackets that hold the tubing to the cab.

Mark1954

Hey, are you insinuating that I should slow down when driving my AH Bugeye, or Lotus Super 7 replica?? They're already quite a bit slower than the 300-hp MGB I recently sold, and there's a limit to how slowly I can drive. On the road, that is.

Not at all, unless you cannot perceive the difference between a bugeye Sprite and a Unimogs.

And speaking of leaving things behind in the rear view mirror, does anyone here happen to have an extra pair of mirror brackets for a SEE?
I don't need the mirror heads, but the tubing and the little brackets that hold the tubing to the cab.
No spares, but did anyone research who bought all of the LA salvage units, they are bound to have spares.
BTW, the Exige has no rear view mirror - whatsa behind you isa no important. :recovry4x4:

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
No spares, but did anyone research who bought all of the LA salvage units, they are bound to have spares.
Good thinking, Mark. I forgot about those fine machines.
MSMOG, that's in your backyard...would you happen to know where they did end up?

And one of those would be a good source for the partial loader I would like to use as a base for Snow Blower, the Sequel. At least I think that one or two still had loaders on them.

Another Ahab

Are those open-wheel, FLU farm? They sure sound sweet; do you mind a little drift and peeking us a pic?!

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Are those open-wheel, FLU farm? They sure sound sweet; do you mind a little drift and peeking us a pic?!
Not quite, Ahab, the Bugeye is full bodied, but the Seven could easily become open wheeled. I've considered unbolting the fenders since they're not legally required here.
Photos? Now you ask, after we got four inches of snow. Not enough to try the snowblower, but a bit much for driving heater-less cars without tops.

Another Ahab

Not quite, Ahab, the Bugeye is full bodied, but the Seven could easily become open wheeled. I've considered unbolting the fenders since they're not legally required here.
Photos? Now you ask, after we got four inches of snow. Not enough to try the snowblower, but a bit much for driving heater-less cars without tops.
The bold go where no one has gone before:

bold.jpg

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've done my share of driving motorcycles and vehicles without tops and/or heaters in the snow - which is likely why my body really ​dislikes such activities these days.

Mark1954

To the room - on a general purpose note:
Where are good sources for replacement batteries for the SEE?
I know I could cobble together any 2 12v batteries, but I like the fact that these are already secured well in the tray,
as I will be doing some rough country maneuvering.
It is especially useful if you have dealt with the company before and had good service.
Thanks,
Mark1954

General Hood

I am making a run to Ft Polk within the next 10 days and passing through Texarkana. I can stop by and preview an auction item you are interested in, as a courtesy to my SS friends

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I know I could cobble together any 2 12v batteries, but I like the fact that these are already secured well in the tray,
It is especially useful if you have dealt with the company before and had good service.
Thanks,
Mark1954
Mark, I've read about people getting the stock batteries at NAPA, and for a decent price.
I don't like messing with filling batteries, so I got Optima group 31s from Amazon, and they fit very well after removing the sliding mechanism and a (poorly) spot welded bracket in the rear. A simple bracket setup holds them in place (I can take better photos if you'd like).DSCN1297[1].jpg
Since there's no need to get to the sealed Optimas, no need for the slider.

FOD

Thanks,
Mark1954
I put a couple batteries similar to FLU Farm in mine. I wired in a permanent 24v trickle charger with the extra room on one side and plan to install an inverter with the room on the other. It starts up like a champ.

88FLU419

Thanks,
Mark1954
I got 2 new batteries from the Interstate. I think they were a little over $200 each, but they bolted right in, all of the cables hooked right up. Also they are very large, so I don't expect to ever have starting problems. I felt the same way about having to build a new way to secure them.

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I got 2 new batteries from the Interstate. I think they were a little over $200 each, but they bolted right in, all of the cables hooked right up. Also they are very large, so I don't expect to ever have starting problems. I felt the same way about having to build a new way to secure them.
One thing I forgot to mention is that there are two versions of the Group 31 Optimas. One has regular battery terminals, which allows using the original battery cables, and the other has the better 5/16" studs that would require modifying the cables.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks