• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

FLU419 SEE HMMH HME Owners group

Migginsbros

I got the call today that I was the winner! It supposedly runs with all systems operating and comes with the hydraulic tools.
Sounds good. Looking foreward to some pics from the walkaround and the added extras/tools
if the See arrived at your yard.unimogfreunde niederbayern 055.jpg Congratulations to your great catch.

Mark1954

No updates in a while. Progress on FLU #1 has stalled as I bought a Lotus Elise and that has taken a lot of my time. Just picked up the last 2 hydraulic fittings I needed to plumb the new cylinder in for the RH stabilizer of backhoe #1 now on FLU #2. Exercised it for the first time tonight and no leaks so far. The old backhoe on #2 would leak a gallon of oil every time I unfolded it.Now I need to clear space for #3! You heard it right. I wasn't looking for another(who am I kidding) but my google search alert for flu419 had a hit two weeks ago for a FLU being auctioned via silent bid from a city in Illinois. Knowing that the state and local governments get first pick on surplus equipment, it seems as though theirs seem to be the nicest units for sale. So I requested pictures and it looked clean, no rust on the cab. I submitted a lowball bid and expected not to get it. I got the call today that I was the winner! It supposedly runs with all systems operating and comes with the hydraulic tools. I also get a title and it is cheaper than the first, non-running one I bought!So plan now is to part out my long suffering FLU#1 and admit defeat. #2 will be listed for sale at a price that I would be happy to sell it at. If it doesn't sell, it will be converted to a 406-like dump bed pickup and hopefully #3 will be the nice FLU I always wanted. A little more digging and a little less mechanic'ing.
Congrats on getting a working model, what are the odds of two of us owning Lotus Elise / Exige and FLU419 ? So far, the Lotus is a lot easier to work on. A lot fewer moving parts.

Another Ahab

No updates in a while. Progress on FLU #1 has stalled as I bought a Lotus Elise and that has taken a lot of my time. Just picked up the last 2 hydraulic fittings I needed to plumb the new cylinder in for the RH stabilizer of backhoe #1 now on FLU #2.
It's a FLU thread sure, but you know you just got to give us a drift pic of the Lotus, right?! :recovry4x4:

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Congrats on getting a working model, what are the odds of two of us owning Lotus Elise / Exige and FLU419 ? So far, the Lotus is a lot easier to work on. A lot fewer moving parts.
Does a Lotus Super Seven count? Even if it's a replica?
If nothing else, it has many less moving parts than an Elise/Exige.IMG_4292.jpg

General Hood

No updates in a while. Progress on FLU #1 has stalled as I bought a Lotus Elise and that has taken a lot of my time. Just picked up the last 2 hydraulic fittings I needed to plumb the new cylinder in for the RH stabilizer of backhoe #1 now on FLU #2. Exercised it for the first time tonight and no leaks so far. The old backhoe on #2 would leak a gallon of oil every time I unfolded it.Now I need to clear space for #3! You heard it right. I wasn't looking for another(who am I kidding) but my google search alert for flu419 had a hit two weeks ago for a FLU being auctioned via silent bid from a city in Illinois. Knowing that the state and local governments get first pick on surplus equipment, it seems as though theirs seem to be the nicest units for sale. So I requested pictures and it looked clean, no rust on the cab. I submitted a lowball bid and expected not to get it. I got the call today that I was the winner! It supposedly runs with all systems operating and comes with the hydraulic tools. I also get a title and it is cheaper than the first, non-running one I bought!So plan now is to part out my long suffering FLU#1 and admit defeat. #2 will be listed for sale at a price that I would be happy to sell it at. If it doesn't sell, it will be converted to a 406-like dump bed pickup and hopefully #3 will be the nice FLU I always wanted. A little more digging and a little less mechanic'ing.
Very nice. I'm singing the SEE #1 Blues as well. Definitely eating a hole in my wallet. Haven't given up yet, I just need a garage full of OEM parts and patience to match

Mark1954

If I ever get time to play around with that one, it'll be more open wheeled yet. Fenders and windshield will be gone, as they are not required here.
I've done some open wheeled racing also, every time I get tagged with some clag or rocks, I remember why we invented 'wind" shields.
It is easier to get rubber off glass than helmets, and you don't flinch as much when a rock tags the windshield instead of your visor.
Thankfully Elise and Exige come with fenders and windshields. BTW Speedwobble, do you know why the Elise has electric windows?
... because they actually weigh less than the mechanical crank.

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've done some open wheeled racing also, every time I get tagged with some clag or rocks, I remember why we invented 'wind" shields.
It is easier to get rubber off glass than helmets, and you don't flinch as much when a rock tags the windshield instead of your visor.
Guess I'm just used to motorcycles, and that my Jeep hasn't had a windshield in decades (too expensive to fix after roll-overs).
Between the weight and wind resistance, I'm generally anti-windshield. Still undecided on whether My MG TD will be run with the stocker folded down, a Brooklands "windshield" (yes, only one), or nothing.
But, yes, the bugs and rocks can be a nuisance.

General Hood

Tinkered with my crippled SEE this morning. Even in it's degraded state, it was able to dig up bed rock. I'm going to give the SEE a work out today, if the engine will stop dying on me every 15 minutes or so. We are under another tornado watch today, which may have an effect on productivity

IMG_20170518_091009210.jpg

Another Ahab

Tinkered with my crippled SEE this morning. Even in it's degraded state, it was able to dig up bed rock. I'm going to give the SEE a work out today, if the engine will stop dying on me every 15 minutes or so. We are under another tornado watch today, which may have an effect on productivity
Something new, what's that all about? Any idea?

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Oh, that's not a new idea, Ahab. He stole that one from me.
But I have about a six month lead over General Hood on figuring out what the cause is. And if I spent more than two minutes per day (on average) on that issue, the problem would be solved much quicker.
Which reminds me...need to order a few more things from Bel-Metric to aid in my troubleshooting/replacement procedure.

Another Ahab

Oh, that's not a new idea, Ahab. He stole that one from me. .
That's funny, The FLU farm!

I've heard of people claiming credit for a solution, but I don't ever recall people wanting the credit for a problem.

Thanks for the laugh.

:naner::beer:

Last edited:

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
LOOKs good, what sort of engine is in that.
Oh, you had to ask, didn't you?
The drive train is MGB, for better or worse. Better, because I have lots of MGB parts, and they're cheap. Worse, because it's heavy stuff for what it is.
Although, since I tend to accumulate lots of parts for whatever vehicles I have, it's handy to have a common base for this car, the MG TD (also MGB drive train) and the MGBs themselves.

Migginsbros

Oh, you had to ask, didn't you?
The drive train is MGB, for better or worse. Better, because I have lots of MGB parts, and they're cheap. Worse, because it's heavy stuff for what it is.
Although, since I tend to accumulate lots of parts for whatever vehicles I have, it's handy to have a common base for this car, the MG TD (also MGB drive train) and the MGBs themselves.
Interresting. In Europe they put later MGF 16Valve aluminium engines (Rover K series 1600/1800) in it. Much more lighter an more powerful.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks