• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

FLU419 SEE HMMH HME Owners group

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
To support the front loader when removed from the SEE, I ordered this jack, welded a 4" long 2"x4" tubing on the bottom of the outer, black tube and replaced the inner 2" square tube with a longer section so that the whole jack is 60" in the contracted position (~40" from bottom plate to top of welded rectangular tube). The rectangular tube engages in the pocket of the front loader, secured by a cross-pin. (I marked the needed hole in place and drilled after welding since my machine vise would not clamp 4" anyway)
That's about what I had in mind, too, alpine. I have the 2x4 tubing, but need to check the capacity of the trailer jacks I already have. Yours is overkill, I'd think, mine may be underkill.
And of all things, this SEE came with the official pin for the loader support in place. Of course, other than the ripper, that was the only thing it came with.

alpine44

That's about what I had in mind, too, alpine. I have the 2x4 tubing, but need to check the capacity of the trailer jacks I already have. Yours is overkill, I'd think, mine may be underkill.
And of all things, this SEE came with the official pin for the loader support in place. Of course, other than the ripper, that was the only thing it came with.
Yes, the jack is overkill with 7000# lift capacity but is very cheap ($37.50), the 2.5"x2.5" square body makes it easy to weld-on the rectangular tube extension, and it has enough length to clear the top bar of the loader.

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes, the jack is overkill with 7000# lift capacity but is very cheap ($37.50), the 2.5"x2.5" square body makes it easy to weld-on the rectangular tube extension, and it has enough length to clear the top bar of the loader.
If I didn't have jacks laying around already, I'd definitely look into getting one of those. But I need to cleanse the garage out somehow, even if it means using a weaker and harder to adapt version.
It's very gratifying to get things done without having to buy anything, and free up space in the process.

BigBison

It does absolutely nothing when I hit the start button. No starter solenoid clicking, no voltage dip. It's like I'm not even pressing the button. It certainly could be the clutch switch...but I don't think I will touch that until I get to it in the troubleshooting instructions.
I have to jiggle the master cutoff and/or the dashboard key to start my SEE, no such problems on my newer/less-used HMMH.

Migginsbros

Good job.
Looks like the one we use.
But after purchasing from Schmidt ( expensive) we have to build the rectangular tubbing after all.
SEE Front Loader 002.jpgSEE Front Loader 001.jpgSEE jack 003.jpgSEE jack 002.jpg

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
I will give yall heads up that 16 SEEs were brought into the gov planet yard at RRAD last week. 4 have the rear ditch witch attachments, 4 others are material handlers. All had good tires too.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Migginsbros

TUV gepfrueft... both my FLUs passed muster with the highway patrol, with the OEM lights. ;)
Sorry but in this case the OEM lights are DOT aproved for the US.
For Law we changed the 5 3/4 sealed beam headlights to H4 inserts , install the turn signal at the original (pre bored) place on one side, set the other signal over the Air cleaner housing tape the side markers and put some rearlights on.
We seperate Stoplight from turn signals and rearlight in wirering.SEEcampaign 001.jpg ...and put reflectors on the rear end.

LZahariev

SEEs come with 12.5R20 Michelins, which in my opinion shouldn't be used in the same sentence as performance. Off or on the pavement.
Yeah, those are the tires on my SEE and I agree with you 100%. Im looking to get new tires for both on and off road. The tires on Migginsbros's SEE do not look stock.

Migginsbros

Yeah, those are the tires on my SEE and I agree with you 100%. Im looking to get new tires for both on and off road. The tires on Migginsbros's SEE do not look stock.
We purchase our SEE with the Michelin X Radial Tires 12.5 R20 XL 132 G 12 PR MPT.
We changed this year to Pirelli Pista PS22 335/80 R20 149 K MPT.
The change was only due to the age and the waves in the sidewall on the old Michelins.
The Pirellis are like new but they are 5 Years old, used as spare tires at the forces.
Driveability is nearly the same, but we think it´s not so bad. The SEE center of gravity in the vertical is high.
We´re quite happy just the way it is.
The spare is the Michelin (Pic 1)
tirechange 012.jpgtirechange 011.jpgKiesgrube2017 060.jpgKiesgrube2017 008.jpg

LZahariev

We purchase our SEE with the Michelin X Radial Tires 12.5 R20 XL 132 G 12 PR MPT.
We changed this year to Pirelli Pista PS22 335/80 R20 149 K MPT.
The change was only due to the age and the waves in the sidewall on the old Michelins.
The Pirellis are like new but they are 5 Years old, used as spare tires at the forces.
Driveability is nearly the same, but we think it´s not so bad. The SEE center of gravity in the vertical is high.
We´re quite happy just the way it is.
The spare is the Michelin (Pic 1)
View attachment 690552View attachment 690553View attachment 690554View attachment 690555
Thank you, good info.

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Whipped up a stand for the loader today, and when looking for suitable jacks I found two of the normal crank style (came as rear supports jacks for a trailer) and that made me remember a short Hi-Lift which also has the tube and pin style "mount". As a bonus, the Hi-Lift had the short piece of tubing already in place, saving me DSCN0531[1].jpgthe trouble of making one.

The paint was drying while dragging the hydraulic impact out to remove the two bolts in the loader mount.DSCN0533[1].jpg

Of the three jacks I could use, the Hi-Lift was the chosen one. Without having measured for clearance, it just worked withing the available space.DSCN0534[1].jpg

The reason for the tubing extending below the jack mount was to make cribbing easier. Later in the day, the same jack was used to lift the blade that'll take the place of the loader.DSCN0539[1].jpg

Naturally, the temptation to find out if the front tires would come off the ground with the backhoe extended was satisfied. In a static situation they'll stay planted, barely, but can be made to come up by moving the boom.DSCN0538[1].jpg

Obviously, visibility was greatly improved, the power steering got much more effective, and maneuverability improved a lot. It's almost tempting to also remove the backhoe, making the SEE practically useless.

Another Ahab

• You're right handy with a welder. Was that stick or MIG?

Also, looks like pretty weather out your way in the "real" midwest, nice! [thumbzup]

Last edited:

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
  • You're right handy with a welder. Was that stick or MIG?
Also, looks like pretty weather out your way in the "real" midwest, nice! [thumbzup]
I learned to weld with stick, but haven't used a buzz box in a long time. Failed miserably at my first attempt with a TIG, so it's almost always MIG these days.

The weather is good, except for being hot (83) and humid (34) here in the real Midwest, thank you. No afternoon thunder/showers today, which is why I jumped on the opportunity to get some outdoor stuff done. Generally, this time of year it's time to pack it up by 3 or 4 (15 or 16 for those who operate on 24 hours, like it's supposed to be).

Another Ahab

The weather is good, except for being hot (83) and humid (34) here in the real Midwest, thank you. No afternoon thunder/showers today, which is why I jumped on the opportunity to get some outdoor stuff done. Generally, this time of year it's time to pack it up by 3 or 4 (15 or 16 for those who operate on 24 hours, like it's supposed to be).
"Except for hot and humid".

83F and 34% humidity?! That sounds like summer Paradise I got to say.

TFF, you make me laugh when you talk like that, Brother, you really do.

abcItumblr_inline_nv868cap0i1ryj2q8_500.gif

Last edited:

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
TFF, you make me laugh when you talk like that, Brother, you really do.
If you want laughs, come on over and watch my trials and tribulations trying to make progress on my various projects.
I'll supply the camping chair (I'm sure I have one somewhere) and you can sit and watch with a cool one in hand - if you promise to call 911 or drive me to the clinic when things go really bad.

rtrask

If you want laughs, come on over and watch my trials and tribulations trying to make progress on my various projects.
I'll supply the camping chair (I'm sure I have one somewhere) and you can sit and watch with a cool one in hand - if you promise to call 911 or drive me to the clinic when things go really bad.
That sounds like a plan to me. I told you I was going to come for a visit to get SEE operational training some time. I will even supply the cooler of refreshments.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks