• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

FLU419 SEE HMMH HME Owners group

rtrask

It sounds like a good idea. Will have to see if I can get to it before snow flies. I don't have a garage tall enough to have the cab tipped indoors.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Today became a SEE day, although not by choice. Had to get the M1008 and dump trailer unstuck after the newly placed culvert crossing proved a bit mushy.DSCN0705[1].jpg
Had some doubts about the SEE pulling this setup out without any help from the M1008, but it didn't even breathe hard. DSCN0706[1].jpg

Since the SEE was out and about anyway, pushing some dirt allowed the oil to get warm. I just love a good ending.DSCN0709[1].jpgGetting some practice with running the dozer blade didn't hurt, either.

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
After adding another 12, or so, trailer loads of dirt to the pile, it was time to hone my dozer operator skills.
It's impressive that the SEE can push dirt slightly uphill, and to the point that it goes over the top of the blade, in 4WD. No lockers needed.DSCN0718[1].jpg

DSCN0721[1].jpg

On a totally different note, thanks to a kind SS member I could purchase a box full of FLU ****. DSCN0724[1].jpg
Now I just need to break a leg to get time to read it all.

Those four asterisks were supposed to be the letters p, o, r, and n.

Last edited:

farmertan

That makes work look fun flufarm, I hope the drain tile isn't damaged.If you do stick your head in the water to look in the tile we need a pic of that. I cleaned out my fuel tank vent (muddobbers) and to stop that from happening again stole the rear axle vent tube off a junk 04 trailblazer,comes with the plastic vent should also allow deeper water fording hopefully never like Houston, unless we get a hurricane off lake Michigan. Also the 3797 dash bulbs work great I might take the orange rubbers off the rest considering the switch has high and low and if too bright just run in low setting.fuelvent.jpgfuelvent2.jpgdash light.jpg

alpine44

Mounted the first two 14.5R20 tires on my SEE today. They are about 2.5" taller, noticeable wider, and a whole lot sturdier (much harder to mount) than the original12.5R20 tires.
20170902_191224.jpg
20170902_190758.jpg
20170902_192220.jpg

Both tires seated on the rim just with the SEE tire inflator; no ether needed. However, it took nearly half an hour to fill them to 80 PSI for seating. Operating pressure will be lower.

Last edited:

farmertan

They look good. Did you use down rigger to break beads. And if you need help finding your hood (kinda like where's waldo) I now where it is. I went with brand new pistas (5yrs old) and wish they were a little wider otherwise they are perfect. Let us know if they rub or if you had to adjust bump stops.

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Both tires seated on the rim just with the SEE tire inflator; no ether needed. However, it took nearly half an hour to fill them to 80 PSI for seating. Operating pressure will be lower.
Yikes! That's when an inflation cage comes in handy. Then again, using the SEE's tire inflator you had plenty of time to go to the next county to take cover.
What did you use for tire lube?

alpine44

Yikes! That's when an inflation cage comes in handy. Then again, using the SEE's tire inflator you had plenty of time to go to the next county to take cover.
What did you use for tire lube?
80 PSI is where this tire reaches its max load rating of 7160 lbs. I put the tire behind the backhoe base with the other side facing towards the woods and figured that any severe defects would show up at the max pressure. It took a whole lot less to seat the bead.

I got some "Magnum Super Slick" tire mounting lubricant from the local truck tire shop. Great stuff. Very slippery and does not dry out while mounting the tire manually.

alpine44

They look good. Did you use down rigger to break beads. And if you need help finding your hood (kinda like where's waldo) I now where it is. I went with brand new pistas (5yrs old) and wish they were a little wider otherwise they are perfect. Let us know if they rub or if you had to adjust bump stops.
Yes, the outrigger makes a handy tire de-mounting press. The hood in the background is a spare that was run over by GP personnel and now serves as an oil catch pan.

At maximum extension the tire rubs slightly against the anti-sway bar in the front. I do not have the fenders mounted yet to see whether there are other areas that need attention.

The original tires are IMO not just over stressed by the vehicle weight but they in turn overtax the bearing capacity of anything but the hardest soil. The much larger contact patch of the 14.5 tires will prevent the machine sinking into wet soil. Not only are the 14.5 tires wider but they are flatter and get more rubber surface to bear. (In the photo above, the 12.5 is deflated and the 14.5 at 80 PSI and you can see how much more crown the 12.5 has).

Last edited:

FarmMOG

has anyone ever been able to come up with a skid steer adapter for the front loader? I would sure like to get one if any are available, it would be a lot easier than making one myself.

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
80 PSI is where this tire reaches its max load rating of 7160 lbs. I put the tire behind the backhoe base with the other side facing towards the woods and figured that any severe defects would show up at the max pressure. It took a whole lot less to seat the bead.

I got some "Magnum Super Slick" tire mounting lubricant from the local truck tire shop. Great stuff. Very slippery and does not dry out while mounting the tire manually.
Sorry, I misunderstood you and thought that you needed 80 psi to seat them.
And tire lube that dries slowly is indeed a good thing when working on setups that aren't feasible for the tire machine. I need to get something like that Magnum stuff.

I noticed a big difference in flotation qualities with the 16.50 Pitbulls, but haven't put them to the real test yet; cleaning out irrigation ditches.
When straddling the ditches, the dirt is understandably not all that dry. With the Michelins I ended up making three ditches in many places - the one I dug out, plus one on each side from the tires sinking in.
That the traction difference is like night and day doesn't exactly hurt, either.

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
has anyone ever been able to come up with a skid steer adapter for the front loader? I would sure like to get one if any are available, it would be a lot easier than making one myself.
Couch Off Road was working on one, but I haven't looked into if there's been any progress or not in the last year, or so.
I needed one quicker and built my own from a Titan kit. It wasn't particularly hard to do. If you go back many, many pages in this thread you'll find photos of how it went together over a period of a month or two.
Not that it took that long to accomplish, but finding the time to work on it.

FarmMOG

I have looked at the Titan kit, but the size is about 1 inch too narrow, and would involve welding steel on each side to make up the difference if my measurements are correct. The other potential problem would be the bottom mounts where the bucket is curving inwards and brackets are fabricated around this bend. It seems that it would take a lot of fabricating to overcome this and weld a flat plate onto the adapter plate, but maybe not. I will take a look and try to find your posts.

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The width worked out well, if only barely. If you can't find the posts I can take new photos...which is easier than find the old ones. Although, the cutting and welding involved wouldn't be shown with new ones.

Foxyjosh

Lousy forum. It doesn't send me any e-mail notifications and when I come back I have 100+ pages to look through.

Well, today is a big step out of the way. I got the tranny pulled out. Now I either pay someone else to work on it or do it myself. I'll see what EI wants to rent their tranny tools.

Attachments

FarmMOG

The width worked out well, if only barely. If you can't find the posts I can take new photos...which is easier than find the old ones. Although, the cutting and welding involved wouldn't be shown with new ones.
I found them. Thanks. How is everything working out with it? You mentioned that you lost some of the bucket swing arc with the adapter plate, so what would you have done differently if you could do it over?

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I found them. Thanks. How is everything working out with it? You mentioned that you lost some of the bucket swing arc with the adapter plate, so what would you have done differently if you could do it over?
Glad you did find them, and I hope some of it makes sense.
As I recall, the bucket movement limitation was fixed with minor grinding. Or at least I haven't noticed a difference. But, yes, I would do it a bit differently a second time around.

Rather than using the more expensive Titan kit, I'd go with the "lesser" one. Yes, that crossbar was helpful when tacking parts in place, and the plates made the work easier, too, even though they had to be modified.
Now that I know how to do it, I'd pick the cheaper version and not end up with the bucket six inches farther forward. Actually it's not the bucket, or pallet forks, or any of the other gizmos I've used on that adapter that makes me wish the setup was shorter. It's the snowblower.
That's why I'm looking for another loader to cut up, so I can shorten the whole thing by a couple of feet.

Anyway, it's a fairly cheap and easy addition which opens up all kinds of possibilities for different uses for the SEE. No regrets on my part, and I wish both SEEs had the quick attach on them.

FarmMOG

I was looking at the Quick Tach Conversion Adapter, thinking I would cut the back out of the bucket and weld the adapter to it. The attachment mount plate could be used to fill in most of the missing back plate of the bucket. This would ensure that there were no alignment errors with the tabs mounted to the adapter plate. I am just nervous about cutting everything up and then having it all not work out correctly. Sure don't want to have to buy another bucket, which I am sure would be very expensive.

The possibility of having the adapter and being able to use all skid steer attachments is very appealing.

I have also been thinking about the front hydraulics. I would run a set of additional hoses to the front like you did, but put a bank of electrically controlled valves which allowed control of two or three separate functions from a joystick in the cab. This would alleviate only having control of the additional front hydraulics by using the PTO lever. I talked to a few hydraulics guys in town and they all said it was very possible, just needed to firm up exactly what I wanted with size, volume requirements for the system. What do you think?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks