• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

FLU419 SEE HMMH HME Owners group

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I bet you wish you had a 12-inch bucket for digging that trench. There's a reason I put one on the former Winter SEE.

Anyway, for that rock, I'd dig out around it enough to put a chain around it and pull it out of the hole. Yeah, it may take a few attempts, but that's still a lot easier than making the rock small enough to dig out with the 24-inch bucket.

DREAD KT

I am looking at buying a Stanley impact wrench to use with my FLU. Looking back through the thread it looks like the 3/4" version (Stanley IW12 ?) I have a 40 gallon air compressor but it is not up to the job for some higher torque nuts/bolts. What is you all's opinion is it worth the cost.
I recently snagged one NOS grade for $338 delivered on eBay. I was lucky. Keep looking and you will eventually find one. I have seen a few. I haven't been able to try it yet due to work and travel, but if the specs are on, this will make short work of anything. I and FLU-419 for my ranch in Texas a few months back but the impact wrench is so I can work on my other vehicles: an M109A4 RV conversion with an M448 trailer. I have a bunch of tires to change out and I am sure this wrench with beat any pneumatic or electric wrench for the price.

Sgt Jiggins

Potato Peeler
Steel Soldiers Supporter
They're out there for sure. I too snaggd one n eBay 2-3 years ago

As with any tool - and especially with tools such as this - take care in its use. Personally I go Very easy with it, if I use it at all on a lot of jobs. I've broken an M35 lug with mine. Sheared it clean off. Other things too, but that one comes to mind.

Yes, it can be adjusted. But it's still a Beast.

DREAD KT

As with any tool - and especially with tools such as this - take care in its use. Personally I go Very easy with it, if I use it at all on a lot of jobs. I've broken an M35 lug with mine. Sheared it clean off. Other things too, but that one comes to mind.

Many thanks for the tip. I have no desire to deal with broken lugs on my M109A4. I will try to test it out on some MRAP rims I picked up to get the adjustments right.

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter

Did you get an IW12140V that came standard with the HMMH, or another model?

DREAD KT

It is a commercial version, the IW12140S. It did not come with the FLU-419 and is not standard issue for the SEE. Mine doesn't look to be the underwater version, which is fine. Going SCUBA diving to change the tires on my Deuce or MOG is like putting gas in a car I've already wrecked. I am looking for the CS06 chainsaw to complete my kit, though. I got the military issue versions of the breaker and drill with the SEE, but the chainsaw was already gone.

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It is a commercial version, the IW12140S. It did not come with the FLU-419 and is not standard issue for the SEE. Mine doesn't look to be the underwater version, which is fine. Going SCUBA diving to change the tires on my Deuce or MOG is like putting gas in a car I've already wrecked. I am looking for the CS06 chainsaw to complete my kit, though. I got the military issue versions of the breaker and drill with the SEE, but the chainsaw was already gone.
I love my hydraulic chainsaw. Very light weight and lots of power. No fuel and no lubricating oil. I do have to drag the SEE wherever I'm cutting, though.

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had already taken the tunnel washer apart before realizing that I could have replaced the car wash style broom with the chainsaw.

It would've been pretty neat to be able to cut stuff way up and off to the sides.

Sgt Jiggins

Potato Peeler
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes, that same model (whatever is "intended" to come with the HMMH). I've been hella impressed with it breaking loose some things that otherwise would probably still be stuck together. And equally terrified by it's shear destructive abilities when used without due care. YMMV.

Sgt Jiggins

Potato Peeler
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had already taken the tunnel washer apart before realizing that I could have replaced the car wash style broom with the chainsaw.

It would've been pretty neat to be able to cut stuff way up and off to the sides.
Maybe I'm just tired, well, I AM tired, but... what is this tunnel washer you speak of?

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes, that same model (whatever is "intended" to come with the HMMH). I've been hella impressed with it breaking loose some things that otherwise would probably still be stuck together. And equally terrified by it's shear destructive abilities when used without due care. YMMV.
You should try the 1-inch version. It makes the 3/4 seem tame (and very light) in comparison.

I'll dig up a photo of the tunnel washer later.

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey, it's a mere 2,500 ft.lbs. What could possibly go wrong?

Either the fastener comes loose, it breaks, or you go for a spin. So far they've come loose.
The bolts for the loader, for example, was more than the 3/4-incher wanted to deal with, but the 1" worked fine.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Hey, it's a mere 2,500 ft.lbs. What could possibly go wrong?

Either the fastener comes loose, it breaks, or you go for a spin. So far they've come loose.
The bolts for the loader, for example, was more than the 3/4-incher wanted to deal with, but the 1" worked fine.

1661567210993.png

rtrask

The SEE has really been earning its keep lately. I have been working it really hard, and I have a lot yet to do with it. The SEE has just been amazing. It can do a lot more than I have the skill to do, but I have been learning a lot about how to work it. That probably deserves a thread of its own. I will try to document some of the things I have learned. Maybe some of you better operators can give us trial and error guys some tips.

Here is my laundry list of things to do with it.
  1. Dig out the trench for the rough plumbing for the garage.
  2. Dig the trench to connect the garage plumbing to the main septic line. I have a full basement and a gravity drain. So the main line is about 9' down. With about 120 feet at 1/4" per foot = 30" so starting 7'6 deep at garage.
  3. Water supply line from well to house ~ 150' ~ 4' deep to get below frost line.
  4. Trench for electrical conduit ~ 60 feet @ 3 feet deep.
  5. Hole to bury propane tank
  6. hole to bury cistern
  7. Hole to bury septic tank.
  8. Leach field ~ 12' x 76' at 3 feet deep
  9. Main sewer line ~ 250' starting @ 9' ending @ 3' with 1/4" per foot increase in depth .
I am sure there will be other stuff but that will keep me busy for a while.

here are some pictures of what I have done so far. I will try to add some other pictures later.

20220827_191945.jpg
First leg of septic from future garage to main line.

20220827_191841.jpg

Rough in of plumbing for garage. 2" in foreground for utility sink. Immediately behind sink is shower P-Trap. To the left of that is 4" for the toilet. The black pipe is a water supply line. 3" in the back ground is a clean out. I should have planned this better. I needed to back fill the plumbing rough in so I could dig the trench to connect to the main septic line. Which meant I had to dig down to find the pipe from the plumbing rough in. Of course I caught the line while trying to locate it and had to cut out the damaged part to make the connection.

20220812_074814.jpg

trench for conduit. I would have loved to have a 12" bucket for this, but I think I need 24" for everything else.

20220827_191815.jpg

SEE at the end of a long day in the trenches. ;)

rtrask

It's nice to see that all your work on the FLU is paying off. And that you enjoy running the machine. They really are fun, I think.
Even my wife has warmed up to it. I still have a lot of work to do on it. Some of the work will need to wait until I have a garage so I can tip the cab again. As I work it more hoses are springing leaks. The hoses for the dipper cylinder are leaking now. I should have replaced them when I replaced the ones for the bucket cylinder. The switch for raising the bucket and the one that races the engine ;) quit working again. The fans to cool the hydraulic fluid don't have power to them, but work fine. I ran a hot wire from the ignition switch so that I can run the fans on hot days. The power steering hydraulics leaks like a sieve but works if I keep pouring fluid into it.

The thing is a true beast and I second glcaines statement that it is one of my better decisions to buy it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks