• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Flu419 SEE troubles

I.Got.The.Flu

Hello folks! New member and new 419 owner... I Recently bought a flu419 (a few days ago) for a decent price I knew it had some hydraulic leaks, but hey what old tractor doesnt... took it home, dug some holes, pulled some trees, moved a single wide. I was really impressed with the machine. Until I was driving it back home from my other property (2 miles away down a dirt road) and I went to make a turn onto my road. I pushed the clutch in and went into neutral made the turn then put into 2nd and released the clutch petal and had nothing whatsoever.. no forward, no reverse, no high no low now gears at all. pulled it the rest of the way home with the farm truck, and started trying to figure it out. Both the transfer case and transmission shifter shift cleanly into all gears but nothing engages.. Well while i was tinkering trying to figure things out I tried to fold down my backhoe out of the travel position and it isnt responding at all either now but the front loader works fine. Leading mentor believe whatever caused me to lose gears also controls the backhoe.... I read a fairly recent post made by someone who suddenly lost all gears going through an intersection, and they fixed it by changing a fuse but they dont say what fuse or where its located.

I was wondering if anyone has any ideas what my issue could be... going through my TM tonight to see if I can find anything as well. Thanks

Speedwoble

Hello folks! New member and new 419 owner... I Recently bought a flu419 (a few days ago) for a decent price I knew it had some hydraulic leaks, but hey what old tractor doesnt... took it home, dug some holes, pulled some trees, moved a single wide. I was really impressed with the machine. Until I was driving it back home from my other property (2 miles away down a dirt road) and I went to make a turn onto my road. I pushed the clutch in and went into neutral made the turn then put into 2nd and released the clutch petal and had nothing whatsoever.. no forward, no reverse, no high no low now gears at all. pulled it the rest of the way home with the farm truck, and started trying to figure it out. Both the transfer case and transmission shifter shift cleanly into all gears but nothing engages.. Well while i was tinkering trying to figure things out I tried to fold down my backhoe out of the travel position and it isnt responding at all either now but the front loader works fine. Leading mentor believe whatever caused me to lose gears also controls the backhoe.... I read a fairly recent post made by someone who suddenly lost all gears going through an intersection, and they fixed it by changing a fuse but they dont say what fuse or where its located.

I was wondering if anyone has any ideas what my issue could be... going through my TM tonight to see if I can find anything as well. Thanks
If I answer your question, don’t let it stop you from going through the TM and learning more about the machines.
The backhoe is powered off the PTO on the transmission. The front loader is powered by belt off the engine. I would put money that your clutch is stuck somehow. You can look at it through the inspection hole underneath and/or look at the slave master cylinder below the cab driver side to ensure it is retracted. As to what could cause it to be stuck or how to fix, I don’t know.

911joeblow

You might have pulled some rust through your slave cylinder and locked it up? Also your clutch fork might have locked up too.

I.Got.The.Flu

Thanks for the replies... after going through the TM I'm with @speedwobble that it's the clutch or possibly the input shaft... gonna try to get the trans open this weekend... anyone got any ideas on how to get the cab tilted since I cant operate the backhoe to get it off the FOPS?

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for the replies... after going through the TM I'm with @speedwobble that it's the clutch or possibly the input shaft... gonna try to get the trans open this weekend... anyone got any ideas on how to get the cab tilted since I cant operate the backhoe to get it off the FOPS?
About 6 oz. of C4 should do the trick unless you want to use the tractor again at a later date.:ROFLMAO:

Speedwoble

I’ll happily sell you a set of tilt brackets, but you had better believe I would exhaust every option with lights, inspection mirrors and cameras before I would tilt the cab and unbolt the trans. You can check the clutch fork where it is activated by the slave cylinder under the cab. And you can check on the pressure plate itself through the inspection hole.
If you do decide to tilt the cab, have soldier B hold the hydraulic valve for tilt down while you use a winch or come-along to lift the backhoe up into operating position. It will pull fluid into the cylinder.

Turkrypty

I had a similar issue happen shortly after buying my Mog. I was taking a friend for a ride around the bock, Put the Splitter into low and nothing. I had front hydraulics as expected, but no gears. I did not try the PTO. I could hear and feel the clutch engaging and the sound of something spinning like the trans was engaged and trying to deliver power but no movement. As I had been trying to get the spitter to work I assume i was somehow inbetween gears. I say assume because aside from replacing a fuse, I never fixed it. It sat for a day or two and when I came back, it was in High and had gears. It wouldn't go back into Low. Later, just after starting a 30 mile road trip, it went into low and wouldn't come out. Eventually, after close to 60 miles of driving it went back into high again. Kinda feels like the Unimog is messing with me.

also, What did you pay? its hard to find price data online. Ive seen anywhere from 28k down to 10k

MajorMogger

Having same problem. Moved it ten feet, no problem, moved it back, turned it off. Fired it back up less than 20 minutes later and acts like it's in neutral no matter what I shift into.

Fwmcguir

Having same problem. Moved it ten feet, no problem, moved it back, turned it off. Fired it back up less than 20 minutes later and acts like it's in neutral no matter what I shift into.
Grease all the fittings! There is one in the clutch, just make sure to not over grease that one. It made a huge difference in how ours shifts.

Speedwoble

A very common issue is shifter bushings, which will prevent it from actually getting into gear. These affect both shifter levers.
Secondly, do some diagnostics and see if the PTO engages and sends power to the backhoe. If PTO doesn’t work, check that the clutch fork is moving under the cab when soldier B presses the clutch pedal. The throw out bearing slides on a tube, so it is theoretically possible the clutch could stick in a disengaged position.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks