• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

fluid leaking out of transfer case

fastbuckink

Just pulled the rear propeller shaft to replace a bad u joint. What looks like aft started pouring out of the transfer case. Is it prob the rear seal? Can the extensioin housing be removed and the seal replaced then reinstalled with out pulling the whole t case off the truck? Im looking at 5-21 in TM 9-2320-289-34
DSC_0029[1].jpg

cpf240

Was it pouring out with the drive shaft removed, or after it was put back in?

I would expect some to pour out when the shaft is removed. If it leaks after the shaft is put back in, that is a different matter.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You answered your own question by posting the video. The tail housing holds ATF and when you pull the driveshaft out of the outside seal, fluid will drain out.

rtk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Normal , for fluid to leak out when you pull the shaft , probably a good time to put in a new seal and don't forget to check the fluid level after you are done with the repair .

fastbuckink

Thanks. I didn't know if the fluid leaing out was normal or not. First I tried banging out the bearing caps with a hammer and punch and I got nowhere like that. I ended up picking up a 12 ton press and pressed them out. They were still difficult. They "snapped" out. There was no bearing rings on them. It appears that the yokes were cross drilled then injected with some sort of adhesive. This looks like they made an internal retaining ring that i had to break to remove the caps. I replaced the rear seal.
Turns out no bearings in that cap.
DSC_0032[2].jpg
Here you can see the groove that was filled. That little nub sticking out on the center of the yoke on the flat, looks like where they injected the material.
DSC_0030[1].jpg
The two without the orange ring were were the ones in the axle yoke.
DSC_0033[1].jpg

Last edited:

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
They are assembled at the factory with the plastic.

Rather than bust them loose, it is preferred to heat them up a bit to melt the plastic.

Clean the grooves well and use the appropriate clips to retain the U joint.

It may not hurt to check the TM for other useful information(prior to doing the work).

Westech

CPL
First gm drive shaft you have replaced? Gm has used the nylon locking system for 40 years almost.
A good civy repair manual and the military Tm's is the way to go. A little basic auto know how helps too.
Google search is your friend too.
As you pressed the u joints out before heating then up there is a chance you bent the yokes. Make sure to take your time installing new joints and checking for fit and alignment.

fastbuckink

First time doing universals. I usually go to the TMs instead of the civi manuals. Looking at the haynes manual now. It mentions the plastic retaining rings on pg 277. It just says press them to shear the plastic, notihing about heat. Good to konw now.