• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Fluids, Flushes and Additives

dc_cucv

For at least the last 20 years I've been using strictly Royal Purple (motor oil) in my vehicles and I would say it has served me well as I have never had a vehicle with an engine issue or even any that leaked oil. Even though it's ~10 bucks a qt, I've been impressed enough to stick with it. I was previously a Mobil1 user, but decided I wanted a real synthetic (not partial) and never looked back. I've owned in the neighborhood of 38 vehicles in my 44 years and usually have at least 4-6 at a time, so vehicle maintenance is ALWAYS on my schedule.

Enter my 85 CUCV. My first diesel, but a familiar beast since i drove one briefly when I was on active duty. Not everything good for a gas car is good for a diesel, so now I need to decide what fluids to go with.

I've seen many of you mention Rotella in some posts and see why since it's so common and available just about anywhere.

Amsoil is on the top of my list right now, but maybe someone can change my mind (and save me some $). Obviously everyone's heard of Amsoil and they have a solid reputation. I was considering Royal Purple Duralec 15W50, but i saw some comparisons with that and Amsoil and the Amsoil outperformed Royal Purple (marginally), so for the same price I'd stick with Amsoil.

I typically also try to go with synthetics on the trans and diffs.

What do you gents use for motor oil? Any brands to avoid?

Flushes: What do you think? Ive read good things about Liqui Moly as a flush. My vehicle sat for 7 years so I wanted to get the motor flushed out, but am a little hesitant since I dont want to dry out any already dry seals. Figured I'd run some regular 15W40 in there for a while to lube up all the seals, etc then time to add the flush. First time i changed her oil, it came out like black rotten milk (chunky).

Any bad experiences with flushes or reasons not to do them? Obviously not something to be done frequently or with cheap flushes that are just paint thinner, etc.

ezgn

Steel Soldiers Supporter
For at least the last 20 years I've been using strictly Royal Purple (motor oil) in my vehicles and I would say it has served me well as I have never had a vehicle with an engine issue or even any that leaked oil. Even though it's ~10 bucks a qt, I've been impressed enough to stick with it. I was previously a Mobil1 user, but decided I wanted a real synthetic (not partial) and never looked back. I've owned in the neighborhood of 38 vehicles in my 44 years and usually have at least 4-6 at a time, so vehicle maintenance is ALWAYS on my schedule.

Enter my 85 CUCV. My first diesel, but a familiar beast since i drove one briefly when I was on active duty. Not everything good for a gas car is good for a diesel, so now I need to decide what fluids to go with.

I've seen many of you mention Rotella in some posts and see why since it's so common and available just about anywhere.

Amsoil is on the top of my list right now, but maybe someone can change my mind (and save me some $). Obviously everyone's heard of Amsoil and they have a solid reputation. I was considering Royal Purple Duralec 15W50, but i saw some comparisons with that and Amsoil and the Amsoil outperformed Royal Purple (marginally), so for the same price I'd stick with Amsoil.

I typically also try to go with synthetics on the trans and diffs.

What do you gents use for motor oil? Any brands to avoid?

Flushes: What do you think? Ive read good things about Liqui Moly as a flush. My vehicle sat for 7 years so I wanted to get the motor flushed out, but am a little hesitant since I dont want to dry out any already dry seals. Figured I'd run some regular 15W40 in there for a while to lube up all the seals, etc then time to add the flush. First time i changed her oil, it came out like black rotten milk (chunky).

Any bad experiences with flushes or reasons not to do them? Obviously not something to be done frequently or with cheap flushes that are just paint thinner, etc.
I use Valvoline Transmission fluid and Mobil Delvac 1300 15W-40 engine oil. Reasonably priced and change it frequently. M1008. Diesels will turn any motor oil dark rather quickly from my experience.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
When flushing crankcase sludge - so you break it loose, where does it go.
We always drained it and pulled the oil pan and cleaned it out.

Or it it has a side access panel like some cummins have we can use a fluid suction or vac to reach down in.

Most severe sludge issues were a constant valve cover removal. Pick it off and dump the oil pan a few times

nyoffroad

When flushing crankcase sludge - so you break it loose, where does it go.
Exactly, unless you pull the pan and clean it out what happens? I can tell you (YMMV) the sludge collects in one convenient place, unfortunately that place is the oil pick up screen and that blocks the oil from getting to the oil pump. I think you can guess what happens when said engine gets no oil.

Captaincarrier

We have customers that go to the store, purchase a bottle of snake-oil and create their own nightmare. Then there are those wise enough to know they need professional help and will call for help.
Like Clint Eastwood said "a man has to know his limits".

dc_cucv

We have customers that go to the store, purchase a bottle of snake-oil and create their own nightmare. Then there are those wise enough to know they need professional help and will call for help.
Like Clint Eastwood said "a man has to know his limits".
thanks for your .02, but not what i was looking for here.

Captaincarrier

I strongly recommend that after the application of any treatment one needs to drop the oil pan. Those treatments will break down deposits but now remove them.

For my transmissions and gear cases I use a solution of diesel fuel and transmission fluid. This is pulsated with the aid of a diaphragm pump. The deposits removed are evaluated to determine further actions if need be.

The key to cleaning a sump, fuel tank, oil pan, etc is agitation, get the solids suspended then filter them out.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks