• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Flywheel/rear main seal tips..trying to give back a little

ccf460

I recently had to change my flywheel. Instead of dropping the whole unit, I put 2- four inch long bolts in the bottom 2 holes betwwen the engine/tranny. Removed the 4 crossmember bolts and dropped the driveshafts at the diffs only,while a jack supported the assembly at the crossmember. After removing the flywheel to torque converter bolts, slide the transmission/transfer case assembly straight back on the longer bolts. I had plenty of clearance to remove the crankshaft to flywheel bolts. Reassembly was a snap, it just slid right back into place.I used a borrowed transmission jack ( without the straps/chains ), but a normal wheeled jack would have done the same job. I also believe the rear main could be serviced in the same fashion. Also of note, there was room to slide even further back had I used longer bolts. The bolts are 3/8 x 16 tpi. Hope this gives the average home mechanic ( like me), the courage to tackle this type of job, it saved me $ 225 in labor, and was a one man operation.:)

crazywelder72

I just saw this is In the cucv. Sorry about that. I did a search on seals and just read it but didn't look to closely.

I will remove this and but it in "the deuce"