• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Flywheel Teeth

motormayhem

Well my starter did the stick on thing while I was driving yesterday and I was able to kill it in about 8 sec. I pulled the inspection cover on the tranny today and all the teeth are fine except for two. They are worn down about 5/8 of the way and are right next to each other. I just finished fileing the metal arund the two teeth so they are the same shape they are supposed to be. I don't want to replace the whole flywheel for 2 teeth. Is it possible to tack a small amount of weld and file it into the shape of the teeth to fix the problem or can you not weld on the flex plate? I am going to take a picture right now. It is sitting apaprt in my driveway right now and I need it for tomorrow so any quick replies would be much appreciated.

Westech

CPL
you can try but it prob going to not be just right and grind the teeth off the starter when it passes over the welded teeth. I mean if your good with a welder and a file go for it! I would try it in a min if I could avoid replacing the flex plate.

motormayhem

Well I am going to go for it and just keep at it untill they are identical to the others. I am pretty handy with a welder so hopefully it will work.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You mean the starter kicked on while you were driving down the street? Yikes. I thought the problem was the relay stuck when you crank it. I have my relay dangling under the dash out of fear, now I will put a kill switch also.

motormayhem

Ya I was driving down a dirt road and hit a bump and the starter just came on. I too had mine dangling down so I could kill it fast, but it took me a few second to stop, figure out what the hell was happening and kill it. It sounded at first like a belt squealing bad and then it continued when I shut the truck off. I wouldn't even bother with a kill switch I would just replace it with a better relay. It is worth the $20 relay to save the starter and flywheel. I welded it up this morning and my DD is back on the road!

Thanks,
Miles

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
.................... Is it possible to tack a small amount of weld and file it into the shape of the teeth to fix the problem............
Yes! Perfectly weldable steel. Best if you have MIG.
I've repaired many that way, normally more than 2 bad teeth.
Never did it on a mounted flywheel, though.

2cents

G.

Kennay

if it has a press on ring gear, just replace it while you have it apart. It should only take a few minutes to knock the old one off, and then a few minutes with a torch to put a new one on. Simple, and it should only cost about 25-30 bucks.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks