• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

flywheel

dunedigger

Pull the driveshafts, drop the tranny and transfer case. They usually don't come down without unbolting the exhaust from the manifolds so they can swing out of the way. Then you can get up to the engine to swap it out. The only other option is to pull the engine but lots more work. You can try and just pull the tranny back some without taking it all the way out but at that point it's not really worth it.

zout

your removal has been covered - the best way to install a transmission is once you have any up and into place ready to push in - take a small tape measure both sides of the bellhousing to flywheel housing, do this both sides - even if you can measure the top and bottom.

Eyeballing one is close - but measuring one is by far faster.

Automatics - makes it easier and less time pushing.
Clutch's - making sure you have the forks wrapped over the throwout bearing.

Especially if you are the only one under the vehicle.

just my .02 cents worth

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Go buy 4, 3/8-16 by 4 1/2 inch grade eight bolts. Put these bolts in where the original bellhousing bolts go. Then when you slide the tranny back you will have enough room to change the flywheel with out having to realign the tranny to the engine. Just slide the tranny back the 4 inches and then back to the engine after the flywheel is changed. This saves alot of time for me.

sparky1

yes like ken said slid the trans/transfer case back.dont remove its to much work.you need to disconnect the the cooler lines and maybe the rear drive shaft.also unbolt the cross member from the frame.support the trans/transfer with a floor jack and roll the assembly to the rear a few inches.you can reach the flex plate bolts with a breaker bar and socket.

Tanner

Make sure that you don't let the torque converter slide off of the transmission input shaft - I've seen guys bung-up the trans re-installation by not getting the TC reindexed properly back onto the input shaft & do damage to the converter...

'Tanner'

91W350

In addition, I like to use a second jack with a short 2x6 laid flat between the oil pan and the jack to support the engine. Keeps the fan out of the radiator and provides more stability. Glen

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks