• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

flywheel ?

PAm1009

I've been hearing a wierd chunk noise when starting my 1009 it doesnt do it all the time but it is noticable. I thought it was my starter bolts as previously before broke twice on me and i know that sound. Everything on the starter is tight and the brace is installed. My question is my flywheel cracked, missing teeth, etc. Thank you much
kyle

Matt65

I would pull the Trans inspection cover and have a look. Rotate the engine over at the Harmonic Balancer to view all of the Flexplate / Flywheel. I use a 3/4 socket and Ratchet. While clear of the flexplate start your truck and watch the runout, or front to rear movement of the flexplate. This would be a good time to check your Harmonic Balancer, mine was starting to crack and was replaced.

Is this noise only when starting/ cranking the engine? Chunk like a clunk or thud? My starter relay when replaced made a pretty audible engagement sound once upgraded to Version D.H. I am curious about how you broke the starter bolts twice, this may indicate something wrong.

PAm1009

Yes only while starting/cranking the truck. I have already completed the DH mod and new ac delco harmonic balancer. The reason the bolts broke twice was becuase there was no brace on the front of the starter which has been there for about 5 months now and this is my daily driver so she gets started at least 5 times a day. I just have that erie feeling because i know that sound isnt good to hear. thanks much

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
could very easily be a cracked flexplate

I'm not able to tell you how to diagnose the problem and I had it fixed when I was having a tranny rebuilt in my M1009 - they asked about my flexplate - I had no idea it's condition - when they showed me the one they removed, you could twist it slightly and see THREE cracks in it

glad I had it replaced

PAm1009

Im getting ready to order my flywheel and want to get a hays or B&M and cant find one for a 6.2 jegs has one for a 454 and it says Detroit external balance will this fit? I wanna get something a little better than the stock for s and g's im also getting a B&M rv shift kit and a high performance torque converter i would like a nice little built th400 :)

Matt65

Im getting ready to order my flywheel and want to get a hays or B&M and cant find one for a 6.2 jegs has one for a 454 and it says Detroit external balance will this fit? I wanna get something a little better than the stock for s and g's im also getting a B&M rv shift kit and a high performance torque converter i would like a nice little built th400 :)
I am not sure the 454 will fit the 6.2. Based on what I have read the tooth count and angle will be key to compare. I found this on another forum:

GM used a 12-14 tooth pitch for the flexplate / flywheel ring gear, and starter drive on MOST applications. (SBC, BBC, 6'es, ETC)
HOWEVER, the 6.2 / 6.5 (and 5.7, for the niche freaks out there) used 10-pitch gear teeth. The flexplate, while nearly the same diameter as a 168-tooth 'normal' Chevy ring gear, is ACTUALLY 139 teeth.

PAm1009

I am not sure the 454 will fit the 6.2. Based on what I have read the tooth count and angle will be key to compare. I found this on another forum:

GM used a 12-14 tooth pitch for the flexplate / flywheel ring gear, and starter drive on MOST applications. (SBC, BBC, 6'es, ETC)
HOWEVER, the 6.2 / 6.5 (and 5.7, for the niche freaks out there) used 10-pitch gear teeth. The flexplate, while nearly the same diameter as a 168-tooth 'normal' Chevy ring gear, is ACTUALLY 139 teeth.

Thanks..yea im having trouble finding one i guess ill be getting one from saturn surplus. I really wanted a hays flywheel!

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
They may be calling it a flexplate. The correct term for a automatic transmission is "flecplate", the standard transmission is "flywheel"

Why the military called the flexplate a flywheel is beyond me. Maybe it was not to confuse the GI's

PAm1009

They may be calling it a flexplate. The correct term for a automatic transmission is "flecplate", the standard transmission is "flywheel"

Why the military called the flexplate a flywheel is beyond me. Maybe it was not to confuse the GI's
Thanks warthog thats what my old man told me.. do you know of any aftermarket flexplates besides the stockers i kinda want something a little lighter? thanks much
kyle

Matt65

Thanks warthog thats what my old man told me.. do you know of any aftermarket flexplates besides the stockers i kinda want something a little lighter? thanks much
kyle
Keep in mind the 6.2 is externally balanced. Reducing its weight may not be a good thing. You would have to take the weight of the harmonic balancer into account as well to maintain engine balance.

Are you looking for more power?

PAm1009

Keep in mind the 6.2 is externally balanced. Reducing its weight may not be a good thing. You would have to take the weight of the harmonic balancer into account as well to maintain engine balance.

Are you looking for more power?
Good point i didnt think of that. No not more power i just wanted something with less wieght and i figured that would be less stress for the starter to turn