• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

FMTV 3126 Engine options

MatthewWBailey

Father, Husband and Barn Hermit
Steel Soldiers Supporter
They like to crack on the drivers side at the rear - behind the starter. Plenty of non-military applications that experienced that failure and in our application the operating conditions can be significantly more harsh. Slowing down the drivelines with the ECO hubs helps for sure.

If I was replacing a 3126 though I would just go straight to the C7.
I drove it today with the 'new' MVT tires. Each has 22-23/32 tread depth. Felt really smooth, no buzz saw sound, no bouncing. Of course I had gotten used to the xml's so it was a noticeable deletion of sound. felt like a typical all terrain tire.

When I drop the pan to do the oil pump, I'll send the ecm. Pulling the cooler too once it's offline. Not sure how long I got with this block but I'll keep pouring oil in it. The Cat 3304 from '86 and 3054T from '06 I have consume almost no oil over a 500hr time. One has 3200hrs, the other 5900hrs. Granted they're different engines but this 3126 seems to have issues internally.

MatthewWBailey

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Based on your diagnostics you prob think it may be the last 5 bullet points?View attachment 925068
Ill have to drop the pan and look in there. Since the pump is a known flaw I can start with that for sure and verify #5 above. (I rebuilt a ford 302 years ago and forgot a plug and saw what #4 acts like). I can pull bearings to check them but I don't know what to check for thickness without a Cat service manual on this engine. I saw that @ckouba just replaced all his at the same time. that seems like a no brainer.

Last edited:

GeneralDisorder

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ill have to drop the pan and look in there. Since the pump is a known flaw I can start with that for sure and verify #5 above. (I rebuilt a ford 302 years ago and forgot a plug and saw what #4 acts like). I can pull bearings to check them but I don't know what to check for thickness without a Cat service manual on this engine. I saw that @ckouba just replaced all his at the same time. that seems like a no brainer.
Yeah after @Lostchain 's experience and when @ckouba 's HEUI pump left the chat we included the main oil pump and checking the oil cooler for flatness to the list of preventative items while it was blown apart. Fortunately his HEUI pump did not disintegrate catastrophically into the injectors so those didn't require replacement.

Last edited:

Skyhawk13205

If you need any tech data I use TM 9-2320-312-24-2, it has been a good reference. I used it for my overhead valve adjustment and wiring in my cruise control, and diagnosing my fuel feed issue.

hike

—realizing each day
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you need any tech data I use TM 9-2320-312-24-2, it has been a good reference. I used it for my overhead valve adjustment and wiring in my cruise control, and diagnosing my fuel feed issue.
TM 9-2320-312-24-2 is where? That doesn't appear to be a link—

sue

A lot of civilians with the small cats have just put in a older all mechanical
Rebuilt cummins. With the price of cat parts lately might be worth it?

coachgeo

Yeah my guage is zero at idle at full temp. I keep it at 800+ rpm if stopped at lights. I'm using Amsoil 15w-40 synthetic
Adept Ape (a CAT mechanic Youtuber) just had similar.... on a rebuilt engine. Long story short he dropped oil pan and low and behold the oil pick up tube was not tight to the base of where it attaches (to pump I assume)... allowed air in, would aerate oil etc. . Buttoned it up and all good.

MatthewWBailey

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Adept Ape (a CAT mechanic Youtuber) just had similar.... on a rebuilt engine. Long story short he dropped oil pan and low and behold the oil pick up tube was not tight to the base of where it attaches (to pump I assume)... allowed air in, would aerate oil etc. . Buttoned it up and all good.
Interesting. That should be revealed quickly once I get in there.

update: today I finally got the oil pan off. The pick up tube is secured to the pump. Screen was clear. I drained the oil into a new bucket with a large magnet in the bottom. I'll pull the magnet tomorrow to see what metal dregs get caught. It's like inorganic fishing.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks