• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

FMTV - Building the Bed crane

agazza2

I have been working on building a crane for the back of my M1078 until I can buy the actual one that goes in the back of the FMTV, It breaks down into 3 pieces so one person can put the parts in the back and assemble it in place. I still have some more gussets to create for additional strength, and order a winch to put on it, and the cable wheel at the end. Once I finish all the welding, it will get painted and stenciled to look military.

I have been looking at various "lifting" winches/hoists and so far the only one that I have come up with for lifting vertically that is not over priced is the Dutton Lainson SA12015DC - which has 50 ft of 7/32 aircraft cable, pulley block and snap hook. 4500 lb load capacity when double-lined. This one is priced at $549 from the manufacturer. They also offer individual repair parts online. https://www.dutton-lainson.com/products.php?cat=16&sprice=6Does anyone else have any others they have found for lifting vertically that are reasonably priced?

Finished the cable wheel at the end of the crane this weekend, but still need to take a photo of that section installed back on the crane. I still need to finish the winch plate, and drill out the hole in the bottom crane post to bolt it in place. Once order the winch, I will wire it with a quick disconnect, and master power cut-off switch.

Attachments

agazza2

The center section is off of a M925 tire davit, that I use for rotating the crane. I had to use 3 1/2"tube sleeves inside the square tube so the round tube would be a tight fit, and could be welded in place. The gap is left for the placement of a roller bearing in the future. I will then weld a shield around the top round plate to protect against the elements. About $200 in steel (Industrial Metal supply - already cut sections 69 cents per pound). Winch will be about $574 if I go with the Dutton- Lainson.

CMPPhil

Hoist Unit on 3Ton CMP

Hi

I added a 1000lbs hydraulic and cable winch to my CMP 1941 Pattern 12, which has been a very useful addition.
Pat 12 Side view.jpgSide view.jpg49 Lincoln on hoist.jpgHoist at work.jpg

The unit was a commercial unit which came with a crank cable winch which was totally useless, replaced it with ATV 12 volt winch unit which as been much more useful. The body on my truck is a drop side M35A2C which has had 10 inchs down the center of the body cut out to make it the proper width for truck.

The unit is bolted through the deck of bed which has been reinforced with 2x2 box tub underneath. Unit has been modified since these photos to install a hinge to allow the hole unit above the side of body to be laid over to not be visible.

Under body support.jpg

The engine hanging from the hoist is 337 cu. in. flathead V8 for my 49 Lincoln engine and transmission weigh just a shade over 1000 lbs. Was moving it from storage bay to shop to start restoration. Also use the truck and hoist for firewood hauling lifting 10-12 ft lengths of wood into the truck. Then use the hoist to pick up the larger chunks up on to the log splitter.

Hoist makes the truck much more usable for me. Though I really do have to paint it so it matches the truck.

Cheers Phil

agazza2

CMPPhil, great job with the crane on your truck, and thanks for the information. That is a cool looking military truck. I definitely am after making my truck as useful as possible. I will be lifting a welder up into my truck when I need to work remotely, and do not want the winch to give out while lifting it, so I want to make sure I get the best possible winch available without breaking the bank.

agazza2

Awesome work agazza2! Will you be taking orders?:goodjob:
Thanks, if I was a professional welder with a shop these would be very easy to knock out. Best for most people would be to cut all the steel, and then bring it down to their local certified welder and have them just make the welds. I think that would result in a significant cost savings. I could make all the measurements on mine and post them if anyone is interested? I have to show the wife, that I am saving money with the expensive toy (welder) I bought. And of course the usefulness of the truck instead of a regular pickup :)

agazza2

Winch arrives

Winch showed up today. I will work on installing the winch onto the crane this weekend. Also I am going to run 1/0 cable to the back with a quick connector, so it can be used for the crane, or a rear winch in the near future. Here are a few photos of it after taking it out of the box. This winch has a 4500 lb dead weight capacity lift using a snatch block.

Attachments

Awesomeness

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hi

I added a 1000lbs hydraulic and cable winch to my CMP 1941 Pattern 12, which has been a very useful addition.
View attachment 667619View attachment 667622View attachment 667621View attachment 667620
I need to replace the engine in my LMTV. Today it dawned on me that perhaps I could kill two birds with one stone by building an in-bed crane, which initially I would use to actually change the truck's own engine. I was imagining something very close to what you already have here. Otherwise I need to flush money down the toilet to rent a hoist/forklift/backhoe/etc., or build/buy a heavy duty hoist (mostly for this one project).

agazza2

Awesomeness, I think it would be a great idea for you to build the crane to remove your own engine. That way the money you save from not renting a engine crane can build a crane that you can use for many other projects in the future. You would need a slightly longer horizontal extension, and I would recommend maybe going to a 10" plate on the bottom since the reach from the bed to the motor would be a longer reach. I would be interested in seeing your build on that crane.

Awesomeness

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Awesomeness, I think it would be a great idea for you to build the crane to remove your own engine. That way the money you save from not renting a engine crane can build a crane that you can use for many other projects in the future. You would need a slightly longer horizontal extension, and I would recommend maybe going to a 10" plate on the bottom since the reach from the bed to the motor would be a longer reach. I would be interested in seeing your build on that crane.
Makes sense. I should measure and see what the largest plate possible is, for the crane to still fit in all 4 bed holes.

I see two other concerns... 1.) The crane would need some way to extend/contract while loaded, in order to pull and position the engine correctly. 2.) The crane would probably need some type of bracing/outriggers that direct some of the force to other parts of the bed (e.g. straps or turnbuckles that go to the tie down rings on the bed?).

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
How about a dual beam hoist (one in the hole on one side of the bed and one on the other) using a couple of tackle blocks? It would spread the weight of the engine out better and really boost the lifting capacity of a single cable. Have it bolted together at the lift point so when done you can unbolt one side and be back to a single hoist.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Are these beds aluminum? You might want to think twice about this.

Whats the load weigh and at what length from the pivot point and how far from the bed floor? Its amazing how much stress a lever with a weight on it introduces.

Please be cautious!

agazza2

M1078 Bed Crane - first use

Installed the Dutton Lainson winch tto the hoist today. Need to set up permanent wiring under the frame and come up into the bed. Here are a few photos of lifting a HEMTT front cab mount (250 lbs) that I need to deliver to one of my friends once I finish the permanent wiring. Also I think adding a chain from the mid-section of the crane to the bed hook would be a good idea for extra support while lifting heavy items.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks