• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

FMTV Center axle

scottreb

Can someone confirm the center differential gears are the same as the front and rear?? What I'm looking for is to do the gear swap. I know the front and rear you can just change the whole "pumpkin" without dealing with the ring etc. Much simpler. I just want to confirm the center diff takes the same gear set as the other two.

Thanks
Scott

coachgeo

according to the TM's available online the intermediate axle's Ring and Pinion has different part numbers than front and back R&P's. Needless to say the same gear ratio as front and back Non high speed axles on LMTV's. Not sure how much they actually differ in physical construction to warrant a different part number. My guess is they are heavier duty material. So who knows if High speed could be swapped into their place, or even if a locker ever comes available if it would work with the Intermediate R&P too.

Another Question might be..... has anything changed since the 1998? version of TM's hit the public? For example is there a high speed axled 6x6 in use by the military since these TM's were published?

See... http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showth...ng-LMTV-Mods&p=1884618&viewfull=1#post1884618 for some comparison notes

Last edited:

scottreb

I guess until someone opens on up to confirm its all guessing. Its not beyond the gov to have different part number for the same part with different application.

scottreb

Im going to contact GXV this week and chat with them. They have done several 6x6 with high speed gears. Plus the civilian BAEs, Brontos and whatever else they were called, had the same gear set.