• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

FMTV exhaust gas recirculation?

rchalmers3

Half a mile from the Broad River
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The Venturi effect pulls particulate matter out of the air box and in to the exhaust. What heats up the block is what's called open loop operation. The PCM sees that the ECT sensor (engine coolant tempature) is not at a predetermined temperature. So it increases injector pulse width (inject more fuel) to help accelerate engine warm up. Once the PCM sees the ECT sensor is reading operating tempature, it goes in to closed loop operation; taking in to account MAP (intake manifold absolute pressure), IAT (intake air tempature), TPS (throttle position sensor), and ECT reading to modulate injector pulse width for optimal injection quantity and Timming. That is the most basic description of how the engine warm up works. This applies for all modern automobiles.
I would think that "closed loop" operations require a measurement of the spent (exhaust) gasses. The sensors you mention all provide input to operate within a mapping schedule, but don't create any form of feedback.

Rick

tburk49760

Whatever the venturi/ exhaust restriction/ large particle remover is, I removed it along with the muffler many moons ago with no noticeable effects other than more power and better fuel mileage. I can live with that. Plus it sounds healthier...

scottmandu

So if the LMTV's are EPA exempt, if another engine is put in place of the Cat engine is it still exempt?

Last edited:

scottreb

So if the LMTV's are EPA exempt, if another engine is put in place of the Cat engine is it still exempt?
I believe so. The hot rod guys put newer engines in old cars and they remains smog exempt, at least CA. But you cant put an older engine in. That my understanding. TX could be different than CA, but probably not stricter.

scottmandu

I believe so. The hot rod guys put newer engines in old cars and they remains smog exempt, at least CA. But you cant put an older engine in. That my understanding. TX could be different than CA, but probably not stricter.
In TX an LMTV is exempt from Emissions because it's All wheel drive. It's also a diesel which makes it exempt as well.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks