• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

FMTV High Speed Gears

isaacnasar

If you're just looking for the new gears try Joe Boydstun at MTP Drivetrain Services - they are in Many Louisiana and have access to rockwell/meritor parts. I contacted him a few months ago and he can get the gears from Meritor at a cost of $1000 a set. I couldn't find someone in NJ that I felt confident in to do the swap so I abandoned the idea. He did say if I wanted to bring the truck to him it would be billed at 8 hours for the front and 4 hours for the rear for them to do the labor.

It's something I would still love to do but my budget for getting it done is ~$3000 and all other options seem to be more than that.

lesrrt

I have read this entire thread and find it incredible interesting. So, what is the tally for the gear swap vs mpg increased and top speed potential? Does your mpg increase going 55 vs 65 cruising? I guess 5-6 mpg to 6-10mpg for some would seem ok; does it justify cost and wrench time finally? Just by comparisons and for giggles, what do 5-tons average (mpg) per assume empty flat-road, and cruising speed? Great info Gentleman!!

Keith Knight

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a 2003 M1078A1 with the 3126 CAT. After my gear swap and rear locker install it went from 3.5MPG to 6.5MPG and 69MPH to 73MPH. The MPG was calculated at cruising speed of about 58-60MPH before and after. Using cruise control that I installed and after reconfiguring the CAT ECM/Computer for the new gears so it would show the correct speed.
My goal was to increase Fuel milage and reduce interior noise by lowering the cruising speed RPM and it did both, NOT so I can go Faster!!!

DiverDarrell

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's by far the best upgrade I have done so far. I paid 1.4k for my gears a while ago. Keeps the engine off the red line at 55-60. Made the driving experience much better.

lesrrt

I wonder if there was a way to disengage the front axle from the permanent AWD drive status. That would seem likely the most drag to be freed; thus making more efficient. I am new and just learning these vehicles. Are the front axles 2:1 ( 1:7) reducers computer controlled? If there was some way to open the front drive up without hindering the safety or original characteristics of what the MV was originally designed for. AWD drive cars and some med duty vehicles have this via the computer. One could take out the front and/or the rear driveshafts to make an experiment. Probably a way to shunt the computer software to allow this. It just would be nice to see if this would render a better result in mpg. I work nights, sorry for the ranting, lol! Some good technicians here, Thanks!!

coachgeo

I wonder if there was a way to disengage the front axle from the permanent AWD drive status. That would seem likely the most drag to be freed; thus making more efficient. I am new and just learning these vehicles. Are the front axles 2:1 ( 1:7) reducers computer controlled? If there was some way to open the front drive up without hindering the safety or original characteristics of what the MV was originally designed for. AWD drive cars and some med duty vehicles have this via the computer. One could take out the front and/or the rear driveshafts to make an experiment. Probably a way to shunt the computer software to allow this. It just would be nice to see if this would render a better result in mpg. I work nights, sorry for the ranting, lol! Some good technicians here, Thanks!!
If you remove any drive shaft you will GO nowhere in Highway drive mode. Way the AWD works can be thought of as a differential on an axle. Axle just happens to be sitting north south. Thus when you pull a driveshaft the differential feels that end is slipping and sends all power to it. End result of this is all the power is sent to a side that has not driveshaft attached and none to the side that has a driveshaft.. so you GO nowhere.

Reduction in the axles have no controls mechanical or otherwise. They are full-time reduction.

steve6x6x6

Steel Soldiers Supporter
All of the LMTV's have a transfer case with a power divider, you can forget locking hubs on the front unless you change the T case.

Aernan

I'm very interested in doing the high speed gear upgrade. What is the best way for me to get these gears? Is buying a complete axle assembly and getting it shipped/delivered still the only option?

Ultimatehellhound

I have a set of centers with 3.07's and want to swap them with 3.90's if anyone is interested or has some 3.90 centers they would like to sell. In located in Spartanburg, SC so the closer the better.

bikeracer917

I'm seriously thinking about doing a gear change. I want more mph. My truck is a 2006 a1. It currently does 60mph. But 70 would be pretty nice. Does anyone know a source for a complete set of gears?
Thanks

DiverDarrell

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't want to be the bearer of bad news but you don't want to do 70mph for a whole lot of reasons. First the truck was spec'ed to do 55mph as that max convoy speed. Second your tires are not rated for that speed, meaning that they will heat up beyond what they are capable of and break down the rubber causing a blowout. Maybe not as worrisome with brand new tires, but at $3k each new I doubt you will be running current year tires. Now let's say you have an accident and it's found you were exceeding the speed rating, a lawyer (not yours) is going to have a big smile. The proper reason to want the high speed gears is so that when running 60 your not on the rev limiter and get better mpg.

Safety rant over. I have high speed gears in my truck and can tell you first hand that 70 is sketchy as F. You will find out just how much your truck can shake shimmy and wander. It's a white knuckle experience. For me 60 is fast enough and my tires will be at max psi when I do it (above ctis highway). Some tires have a max speed of 55 others 60 make sure you know what you have.

scottmandu

Run the goodyears and your tie issue is fixed. I run 75 on my LMTV and have has zero issues except less trips to the fuel station.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks