• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

FMTV High Speed Gears

coachgeo

Can anyone PM me Bryce's contact info? I don't play FaceBook (or LinkedIn, or any other social media). I'd like to ask him a few questions about the high speed gears. Thx
You might as well set up Facebook just for communicating with him cause he uses Facebook's send money system to pay for items you order from him. You can mail check to him...... but it takes longer cause of both snail mail time and waiting for bank to clear it. But I'll PM his # to you to get you started.

WN - Happy to answer any questions you might have. We've installed dozens of sets and have rebuild dozens of axles. We also sell the Caiman take-off or Meritor new gear sets. Swap is fairly straightforward. Feel free to post here or PM.

Givinup

With people installing chunks from scrapped caimans, is there any reason to install upgraded driveshafts, - - or do caiman driveshafts fit the fmtv?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

No need to change driveshafts...the gear set housings are identical (or you can just do a ring and pinion swap in original housing)...good idea to change axle seals, pinion seal, bearings and u-joints while making the swap though.

wandering neurons

Thanks all for the comments and PMs.
I saw the figure $650 per axle from Bryce.
Is that a complete center section, drop in like a Ford 9" rear?
What do y'all use to remove/install the center section, in lieu of the transmission jack?
How much does Bryce charge to swap both front and rear?
And does anyone know if Bryce be coming to the East Coast (outside DC) any time in the future?
Now that I've got his number, I'll check in with him.
While I love the low-end power of my M1081, I'd love a little more top end. I'm not out beating trees down to miss a small percentage of first gear.

Thanks all!

Rebuilder

While I love the low-end power of my M1081, I'd love a little more top end. I'm not out beating trees down to miss a small percentage of first gear.
It's the best upgrade I've made and you won't notice a difference on the bottom end. Still plenty of torque. I was hesitant to do the swap myself but once I got into it it really wasn't that bad. The hardest part was dealing with the crusty U joints.

Smike740

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just picked mine up from a different source than Bryce. Looking forward to installing these soon. It will be a great match to the upgraded 290 HP.
Do you mind sharing where you picked them up from and know if more are available. I haven’t found any reasonable close. Thanks.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Can always install some new 14.00s on a stock geared truck for more road speed at a cheaper cost. Should wear better as well given the increased weight capacity of the tire.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

wheelspinner

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Can always install some new 14.00s on a stock geared truck for more road speed at a cheaper cost. Should wear better as well given the increased weight capacity of the tire.

Meh, I just changed my 5 ton out from 14-20s sure not going to put them on again.

wheelspinner

Steel Soldiers Supporter
why did you change them out? Did you have them on long enough to to notice any differences in what you have now? What do you have now? did you get rid of the 14's?
On my 923. Needed newer tires as I drive it a lot and it was getting harder to find decent 14-20s so I got some of the NOS Goodyear MVTs from Wes. So far I really like them, but honestly I don't really want to digress this thread. Just wanted to clarify why I didn't want to consider 14-20s as an option.

coachgeo

On my 923. Needed newer tires as I drive it a lot and it was getting harder to find decent 14-20s so I got some of the NOS Goodyear MVTs from Wes. So far I really like them, but honestly I don't really want to digress this thread. Just wanted to clarify why I didn't want to consider 14-20s as an option.
ohhh. thought you had them on a 5ton FMTV. They do relate to this topic if they were on an FMTV cause then you might could offer insight on if they made a difference compared to the smaller you run now.

Anyone running taller tires yet? Curious the benefit compared to getting High Speed gear sets. Got to get newer tires on mine at some point. Would be awesome if going up a size and the cost associated with that could have two benefits ... better tire AND better Rpms.

With that in mind.... what % change in gear ratio do you get going from stock to the High Speed? Curious on what % taller tire would be needed to be close to that. Or is that even a potential quick and dirty way to make a basic comparison? Won't be exact science but would think it would get you close?

Last edited:

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
ohhh. thought you had them on a 5ton FMTV. They do relate to this topic if they were on an FMTV cause then you might could offer insight on if they made a difference compared to the smaller you run now.

Anyone running taller tires yet? Curious the benefit compared to getting High Speed gear sets. Got to get newer tires on mine at some point. Would be awesome if going up a size and the cost associated with that could have two benefits ... better tire AND better Rpms.

With that in mind.... what % change in gear ratio do you get going from stock to the High Speed? Curious on what % taller tire would be needed to be close to that. Or is that even a potential quick and dirty way to make a basic comparison? Won't be exact science but would think it would get you close?
On a 923A1 with 1400s you go from a 74 mph at the governor to a 68 mph at the governor with 395s. So 6 to 8mph gain by going up the 1.5 inches to a 14.00.

expeditionnw

My LMTV tops out at 76mph with gears, compared to 59mph without. I am going to put 1400s on in the next few months as in addition to the gears. should make for a nice cruising rpm!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks