• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

FMTV Hydraulic Fluid?

Gearhead01

What is the hydraulic oil (OE/HDO-10) and (OHA) equivalent for my 1078? It would be great if I could buy something that will work at AutoZone.

kenet3621

Some General Military Lube Specs... I found these at http://everyspec.com/

PERFORMANCE SPECIFICATION
LUBRICATING OIL, INTERNAL COMBUSTION ENGINE,
COMBAT/TACTICAL SERVICE
This specification is approved for use by all Departments and Agencies of the
Department of Defense.
1. SCOPE
1.1 Scope. This performance specification covers lubricating oils suitable for
lubrication of all reciprocating compression-ignition internal combustion engines (with
the exception that the 10W grade should not be used in high output 2-cycle engines)
and for power transmission fluid applications in combat/tactical service equipment (see
6.1).
1.2 Classification. The lubricating oils are of the following viscosity grades:
SAE Viscosity Grade Military Symbol NATO Code
10W OE/HDO-10 O-237
30 OE/HDO-30 O-238
40 OE/HDO-40 ---
15W-40 OE/HDO-15/40 O-1236

MIL-FLUID.jpg

tennmogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I use Tractor Supply brand Traveler universal 'tractor fluid' because that is in stock here on the farm. Five gallons is about the cost of your 1 gallon :) The price has really dropped recently!!!

I agree with your price comment. I'm not a petroleum chemist, but I do have a fairly substantial scientific background and know that specifications are there for a reason. Whether or not it's important enough in these hydraulic systems to stick with compatible fluids I don't have an answer for that.

gentycam

After reading a lot of compatibility charts I found that HDO 10 equates to SAE 10 oil which is mineral based non detergent. The stuff appears to be the same as the aircraft hydraulic fluid that the TM suggests. I think the jack oil is along the same lines as well.

Bobcat701

Thanks for the education. I will remember that.

Joe[

QUOTE=kenet3621;1841655]Some General Military Lube Specs... I found these at http://everyspec.com/

PERFORMANCE SPECIFICATION
LUBRICATING OIL, INTERNAL COMBUSTION ENGINE,
COMBAT/TACTICAL SERVICE
This specification is approved for use by all Departments and Agencies of the
Department of Defense.
1. SCOPE
1.1 Scope. This performance specification covers lubricating oils suitable for
lubrication of all reciprocating compression-ignition internal combustion engines (with
the exception that the 10W grade should not be used in high output 2-cycle engines)
and for power transmission fluid applications in combat/tactical service equipment (see
6.1).
1.2 Classification. The lubricating oils are of the following viscosity grades:
SAE Viscosity Grade Military Symbol NATO Code
10W OE/HDO-10 O-237
30 OE/HDO-30 O-238
40 OE/HDO-40 ---
15W-40 OE/HDO-15/40 O-1236

View attachment 611647[/QUOTE]

monsonl

What is the hydraulic oil (OE/HDO-10) and (OHA) equivalent for my 1078? It would be great if I could buy something that will work at AutoZone.

Super Hydraulic 32 SAE10W ISO 32
AW Hydraulic 32
Tellus 25
Tellus 32
Tellus 927
Tellus Plus 22

AW Hydraulic Oil 32
AW Machine Oil 32
Rykon Oil AW 32
Rykon Oil 32

Humble Hydraulic 1193
Humble Hydraulic H32
Humble Hydraulic H34
Nuto H44

Rando HD 32

Bigjustin1va

Hi all. I am replacing the hydraulic fluid in my 1078 after a leak for the cab lift. I have John Deere hy guard for my tractors and I also have aw 32. Would either of those work?

snowtrac nome

5606 is quite a bit thinner than aw 32 it should work but maybe slower hyguard has friction modifiers in it fro wet disc clutches that might affect the seals like hdo and atf does. stereight hydraulic oil would be the only alternative oil I would use not tractor oil.

Bigjustin1va

Snowtrac nome. Thank you for the reply. I called my usual dealers(napa and a farm supply store) and they don’t even know what it is. Where could I get it

Someone told me 303. But that’s tractor oil right, and I thought that was being phased out

Awesomeness

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Snowtrac nome. Thank you for the reply. I called my usual dealers(napa and a farm supply store) and they don’t even know what it is. Where could I get it

Someone told me 303. But that’s tractor oil right, and I thought that was being phased out

MIL-H-5606 / MIL-H-23282

They are aviation hydraulic fluids. If you google them, you can buy them from aviation suppliers online. You can often pick them up in the shops at small airports too.

Ronmar

Last I recall AW32 hydraulic oil is 10 weight oil... AW46 is 15wt... I do not think you should use "tractor oil" or UTF(universal tractor fluid) in the air over hydraulic units... AW32 works fine in my AOP...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks